AC with forced induction

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bigpitty1
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

AC with forced induction

Post by bigpitty1 »

The guys with turbo's, so sam, jeff, FTO_ADZ and anyone else, do you guys still have the air con in your cars (working or not) or have you got rid of it.

I just want to know, because me and couple of mate have been talking today about boosting my GPX, one thing that came up was supercharging it with a centrifugal supercharger, I know space is a problem but maybe removing the AC compressior and bolt the supercharger in its spot and also removing the thermo fans and putting slim ones in for more space.

Also some of the positive things on supercharging is that we have decided to use a Raptor supercharger which has its own oil, meaning that it doesn't need to tap into the engines oil supply like a turbo or even a Vortech supercharger, so I don't have to worry as much about spinning a big end bearing due to oil starvation as I have a MIVEC engine,

I get to keep my extractor and don't really have to mod the exhaust, but I probably will end up doing it, don't have to run the exhaust into to engine bay to the turbo so this will keep the engine bay temp low and of course hardly any lag if any.

But I don't no if I want to loose the AC as it get pretty hot where I live in summer, so if the guys with turbo's don't have AC I might aswell try supercharging to be a little different, but I don't know I could probably just turbo and keep the AC if it can be kept.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

i know sam got rid of his
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Super charging? can that be done? has it been done?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

eThix wrote:Super charging? can that be done? has it been done?
Yes and there are lots of thread on this already. Our Mr Presidentay had been working on his for a *cough* *cough* while now :D
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

Bennoz is working on a supercharged GR project, the supercharger he is using is a positive displacement, the one I am looking at is centrifugal, only problem with supercharging is there is hardly any space in the engine bay of the FTO and the supercharger must be able to be in reach of the belts to be driven, the best spot I can think of is getting rid of the AC compressor and put the supercharger there.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

but arent the belts on the other side?
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Theres no way I'd be removing the air con from my car, can't live without it .... whats the legality of having bits coming out the top of the bonnet? Are you planning on doing this for a race car or street?
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

well i hope you get it done soon :P i want to see the performance increase you get :P
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

Happy to get rid of A/C and P/S for supercharger that works properly
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

mr-charisma wrote:Theres no way I'd be removing the air con from my car, can't live without it .... whats the legality of having bits coming out the top of the bonnet? Are you planning on doing this for a race car or street?
Nothing sticks out of the bonnet with a centrifugal supercharger, its basically a belt driven turbo, right now my FTO is just a weekender, only drive it on a weekend or if a cruise is on during the week and sometimes if I need to get a pizza or milk :lol:

My daily driver is a 93 subaru liberty, its got no air con because there is a hole in the evaporator and don't want to spend the money to fix it, so I guess it won't hurt as much removing the air con from my fto, I guess I could make some money by sell the parts.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Thats a long way to plump piping in thou... we're cutting up the manifold cause blowing it wont require any of the intake runners etc. Its just forced in.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

This is the supercharger I'm planing to use:

It looks pretty much like a turbo at the front:

This is the back of it, but this is installed on a commodore.

I will have it intercooled like if it was a turbo so piping should be the same as if I was going to turbo it.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

Here is another setup, this is a vortech supercharger which is centrifugal same as the raptor, I think this is on a mitsubishi eclipse, insted of having it next to the belts, they got the supercharger on the other side of the engine and have a long extension connecting it to the belts, but from looking at the FTO's engine I think the rocker covers are a bit bigger so an extension might be hard to fit without modifying the bonnet.

FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Yeah... My aircon was removed... a lot of it is still there, but the condensor gave way for the intercooler...
And it i am correct i thought superchargers didnt need intercoolers..
Turbo chargers need them because the Hot turbo (Hot from exhaust gasses) heats the air which is bad...
Supercharge is belt driven, not exhaust driven so in theory air should be fine...
That looks like an interesting setup...
I only turbo'd mine for the Psshhh noise... lol.. :wink:

It just has added bonuses like blowing off Skylines and HSV's

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

And that looks like a blow off valve on that... :?
Or is it?

FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

FtoSam wrote: And it i am correct i thought superchargers didnt need intercoolers..
Turbo chargers need them because the Hot turbo (Hot from exhaust gasses) heats the air which is bad...
Supercharge is belt driven, not exhaust driven so in theory air should be fine...
My Supercharge car have a decent size factory intercooler, its larger then the one you get on the Mazda MX5 SP. All the new supercharged car i've seen are now comes with a decent size intercooler.
FtoSam wrote:And that looks like a blow off valve on that... Confused
Or is it?
Yes it is ehehe
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Okay... this proves how noob i am with super/turbo
Why intercool a Supercharger setup?
Why have a BOV on it?

My thoughts were a BOV released the pressure out of the intake pipe between the Turbo and the Intake so as to prevent the Air rusing backwards and slowing the spool of the turbo....
So confused... Bloody Superchargers...

jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

FtoSam wrote:Okay... this proves how noob i am with super/turbo
Why intercool a Supercharger setup?
Why have a BOV on it?

My thoughts were a BOV released the pressure out of the intake pipe between the Turbo and the Intake so as to prevent the Air rusing backwards and slowing the spool of the turbo....
So confused... Bloody Superchargers...
its intercooled becaused a supercharger compresses air just like a turbo.. when air is compressed it creates heat... and that reduces the density of the air

the bov in this sent up releases the pressure out of the intake pipe between the supercharger and the intake, to prevent air rushing backwards and pushing the against the blades of the supercharger against the way the belt is driving it... or it will kinda crash like this
---> <----
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yup, you need it in centrifugal setups, not on pos displacement versions.

I've seen a few of those centrifugal setups on Galants before, I would like to have gone that way, but those blowers are mega expensive ($3k) - and I couldn't find any suitable second hand ones on the market.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Bennoz wrote:
I've seen a few of those centrifugal setups on Galants before, I would like to have gone that way, but those blowers are mega expensive ($3k) - and I couldn't find any suitable second hand ones on the market.
Whats the rego of those Galants? Lets go "shopping" LOL