Overheating headunit

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Overheating headunit

Post by GPXXX »

Anybody have this problem before? mine seems to warm up very quickly if i crank it, and on a warm sunny day it heats up even quicker although i don't play it as loud... WTF is going on???

Is there a fix for this???
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

hmmmm i've got the same head unit as u (Yes i did got it before u heehhee), & i run sh*t more stuff as well, but i don't have a heat problem. So is either is in your head or u need 2 send it back 4 warrenty.
Last edited by FTO338 on Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Not sure you are aware, but they do run hot - all amplifier gear runs hot. Especially if you crank it up. More power means more elctricity, more electricity means more heat. You are not meant to run car cd players on hot days or tape players - apparently it damages components...I havent found a person to stick to those rules though. CD players in the dash heat up quick.

My pioneer one is always warm. Sometimes the displays heat up due to their light displays. If it is causing plastic moulding to melt or if your sound is not coming out clearly - then you might have an issue. If you dont have a problem apart from you thinking the unit is a bit warm, i wouldnt worry about it - it's normal.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmm so if u r correct, then tropical places shouldn't have CD/mp3/DVD players in their cars what so ever then. :roll: cause they r pretty hot 24/7 365 days
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Dont worry about it Mikey, head units do heat up due to the built in amp which generates heat!!! even quicker on a hot day as there is very little air around the unit for the heat to dissepate. The only fix for this is to run external amps (which i thought you allready were, or is just the sub externally amplified?) :lol:
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

well i have an external amp to drive my front speakers and 2ch bridged to run my sub... the rear speakers are run off the head unit alone.