Max's Questions on Sams Engine

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FtoSam
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Max's Questions on Sams Engine

Post by FtoSam »

Hey guys.. Just registered My Step-dad, Max, on here... He has my new engine (6a12 Non-Mivec).
He is blueprinting the block for me and helping me out..
So please be nice to him.. I've created this topic for him to ask questions in.
He's most likely going to be asking in detail questions about the engine..
Any off topic posts will be removed asap (as it might confuse the old bugger... hehehehe)
Max: Please no "milk" comments or Cubic inches crap... hehehe... there's FTO's on here that would've eaten your Clubsport.... (Maybe not your Buell)

Anyway, Ask away Max...
Last edited by FtoSam on Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Oh and Please dont do the old "Use the search you noob"...
:wink:

FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Okay first question:
Max asked me what performance parts were avail for this GR engine...
I.e. Head stud bolts, etc etc... I told him www.rpw.com.au but was wondering if anyone else knew where i could get performance parts from??

Also, has anyone ever forged a GR engine before?? If so who and whats their contact details.. Want to research if i can get away with $5k for this whole lot.
Also having to consider just getting a rebuild and living with a reasonably fast fto... not a nutter fast one...

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Apart from the rpw off the shelf parts, you will need to be doing this generically.

The best high tensile studs on the market are ARP. Once you have stripped the motor take one of each bolts that you want to be high tensile & look it up in the ARP catalouge.
You'll probably need to the do head studs, big end (crank end conrod cap) bolts & nuts & the mains (crank journal cap) bolts & nuts. Then just do a google for ARP distributors in QLD - most V8 shops stock ARP products & will be able to order them in for you.

Best place I have used in the past for forged rods is PAR engineering. They may or may not have an off the shelf item, if they dont just send them one from the stripped motor & they can make them up for you. Expect to pay around $1.5k for a full set of 6.

Then alls you have to do is find pistons and a billet flywheel - PAR could probably do the flywheel for as well if you ship them the original.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Do i really need a billet flywheel? I have a man gear box in the moment, can i just use the existing flywheel???
Have heard of problems with lightweight flywheels, and im on a relatively tight budget here...
If V8 Shops stock them Max shoudl be fine (V8 Nutter)
So i should expect:
-$1500 - Rods
-$1500 - Pistons??
-$flywheel???
-$ARP bolts?

Where can i get pistons done? (or do i have to fork out $2k for RPW??)

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

FtoSam wrote:Do i really need a billet flywheel? I have a man gear box in the moment, can i just use the existing flywheel???
Have heard of problems with lightweight flywheels, and im on a relatively tight budget here...
If V8 Shops stock them Max shoudl be fine (V8 Nutter)
So i should expect:
-$1500 - Rods
-$1500 - Pistons??
-$flywheel???
-$ARP bolts?

Where can i get pistons done? (or do i have to fork out $2k for RPW??)
Pistons I dont know, may have to get them from rpw. Look to pay around the $1500 mark for a set as well.

ARP bolts you might be looking at 3-400 for the lot. Flywheel... well if you are spending the money on forged internals, then spend the money on a billet wheel. Expect to pay around the $800 mark.

So that makes your list:
-$1500 Rods
-$1500 Pistons
-$800 Flywheel
-$350 Bolts
-----------------------
Total of $4150

The rest of your budget will be used thou, you'll need things like crank bearing shells & gasket kits etc... even products to put it all together like a few can of paint & even things like gasket goo (Hylomar)

So you'd be about right with $5k
Last edited by Bennoz on Wed May 02, 2007 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

You mean $4150??..

Anyway, to let you know, max, isnt doing this work for me, He is simply blueprinting the block. The work is being done by APC performance.
Also reconditioning the engine and balancing the whole lot. so im thinking maybe gonna come out to $6-7k... :(
if its gonna be over $7k no way.... im canning the idea and just getting a plain rebuild..
5-6k and i spose i'll get it done...
Making an apointment with Nick from APC to sit down and talk about this... what i want from the car etc...