Melbourne FTO turbo fabrication

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Melbourne FTO turbo fabrication

Post by Blk-Jet »

Hey all,

As some of you know i'm in the process of turboing my fto + some other mods I hope to have complete by the end of febuary.

The company i'm going through is in melbourne and by that time we will have a kit made up, installed and can test all modifications to give you guys some feedback.

The price bracket we are aiming for is $5k which includes all pipe work, reco turbo, and computer.

I'll keep you updated when new years has passed.

Merry Xmas to all and Happy new year!
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

damn thats cheap.... if all goes well im sure there will be people here who will be interested. :P

anyway hope all goes well and post up some pics and dyno readings ;) ;)

Tim
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Hey Frank if you want some photos of my turbo set up pm me your email address, as i dont know how to post photos.
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

damn that is cheap

just curious does that include intercooler, fuel system upgrade, rewiring, bov, dyno tuning,

what turbo you using

what sort of computer and is it a piggy back management system or complete aftermarket computer.

what sort of power increase are you aiming at and boost pressure
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

hey guys,

it's 1 o'clock on christmas morning ....... i should be in bed but hey my real xmas present is a turbo fto!

Any information will be much appreciated. Photo's, whatever even ideas you guys might have please feel free to flood the channel!

What the system so far includes is the essentials to get the car turbo'd. This includes:

1-- t25 or 2530 turbo (reconditioned, balanced, resealed)
2-- microtech mt8 (i think) aftermarket engine management computer.
3-- piping from extractors to turbo then back out to the cat.
4-- brackets for turbo, piping etc
5-- 7psi
6-- duno tuned
7-- intercooler ( obviously second hand or new depending on your price range)
8-- One big smile

bov etc can all be installed, what we will do is give a price for the basic setup and from there you can 'add on' bits and pieces at later stages.

Being a melbourne company it will mainly suit melbourne fto owners because you can simply drive down get it all fitted and drive out and also see my car before you decide to get a realistic idea of what your going to pay for.

The major pain in the butt is the programming for mivecs. This will take the longest time to figure out, my car is mivec so any info on mixtures etc would come in very handy! Once complete it will b a piece of cake!

Cheers all

Frank
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hey Frank, i guess it would b cheaper if we provide our own turbo or intercooler, i know is not much, but i guess after Xmas every dolloar is count.

I've got a T25 & a T28bb from my previous car, so can i use my own turbo, if not i understand u doing it as a package!

Cheers
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

Not at all. Bring your own turbos and coolers that's fine! We are organising it like a super market, if you have it then that's one thing gone. Know what i mean?

As for te 2 turbo's you have, are you planning on selling one?
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Kev if youve got a t28bb keep it, ive had both a t25 and a t28 on my engine at some stage or other and from experience the t28 gives much more power and torque thru the whole rev range, especially down low .If your turbo is of another car make sure youve got the right size housings, as your probably aware they do come in different internal sizes (vane size) which will affect performance drastically.:lol:
Last edited by scracy on Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Frank im supprised your offering a turbo kit so cheap as the parts allone would cost around $5000. I know your planing on using second hand reconditioned turbos but which turbo? When my t25 spatt the bearings i was going to rebuild it, but the cost of rebuilding a ball bearing type turbo basically involved replacing the whole core which was about $1500 for $1800 you can buy a complete t28 bb. Ball bearing turbos arent worth rebuilding, its not cost effective. :lol:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

man for that price i'd seriously consider one... but i'd like to have polished piping, larger throttle body and inlet manifold like Danny's hehehe...

frankly i'm happy to spend a little' extra on a brand new GT28BB turbo, coz for that price i can still afford forged internals to run higher boost...

let us know how u go with your prototype - i'm dying to see it! ;)
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

hey guys,

Hope everyone had a great Xmas, i kinda did until i realised I put on 4Kg!!
That's right 4KG over 4 days!! And if anyone is asking yes, I am Italian and hence why i've eaten sooo much...

Anyway, back to workin on the car now and hopefully sweating out a few kg's during the 40 degree heat that's hit us in Melbourne today!

Ok, some more info on the car will come up soon, i'm still waiting for my digi cam to start working on the computer to upload a heap of pics for you guys. All in all about 100 pics I have so far which i'll sub divide into catagories to ease the search time for all.

Some other things of done include, the installing of an Apexi turbo timer (the pencil lookin ones), that took me 6 hours!!! Cause i only had a stanly nife to use when stripping back ecu cables :(
I've also sound deadend the doors, back panels, roof and tonight i'll be dismantling the sunroof system to find where the rattles are coming from and post up pics to identify where they are what the cheapest and most effective eay to fix em is! :)

Apart from that, i'll be tig welding my mandrel exhaust up hopefully before I go back to work on the 5th, this is a full exhaust system starting from the extractors all the way back to the rear panel. It's a 2.5 inch OD piping, mandrel bent, system reusing the 2 original resonators and cat. Obviously the resonators will be honed out to 2.5 inch to be able to fit. I'm going to see if they still perform the job or not!

Aparet from that hope all you guys have a safe new years and drink up heaps, and i'll speak to you all next year!
dan_vegas

Post by dan_vegas »

You need to bring this turbo kit over to the UK, you would make a killing.
:D
mrx
Veteran Mechanic

Post by mrx »

$5000? Man, for that I would come down from Newcastle to have it fitted. Plus, it is quite a good drive :lol: .....

Eagerly wait to hear how it has come up. One question though, how is that affecting your insurance? I am not sure how the insurance companys would react to an aftermaket turbo conversion.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

mrx wrote:...One question though, how is that affecting your insurance? I am not sure how the insurance companys would react to an aftermaket turbo conversion.
as if finding decent insurance for the FTO is not hard enough, you can imagine how much they are going to make an arse outta you when you tell 'em you've got a turbo in it LOL... Unless you have a rating 1 for XXX years and over 25yo, you'll be lucky to find someone to insure the car for less than 20-25% of the car's value...

then again this is not an insurance related thread so let's not get off-topic, hehehe... 8)
akumi
Mechanic

Hey there how's your turbo conversion going?

Post by akumi »

Just wanna know how's the project doing? any pics? coz i'm interestd
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Frank is selling his car so i guess this plan has been put on the back burner.

Genesis Racing will be releasing a kit in a few months time so keep an eye out for it. The current prototype is currently being tested - will keep you all up to date as soon as details become available.
Adriano
Grease Monkey

Post by Adriano »

mikey are they going to have a kit for GRs too??
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

GPXXX wrote: The current prototype is currently being tested - will keep you all up to date as soon as details become available.
Hahhaha i wonder whos testing the prototype :wink:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

Keep us posted Mikey - will be interested to see pricing as it looked like a big job (i had a sneak peak at urs when i had my car serviced!)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

big job?? nah... it's been sitting in the workshop for, mehhh... 4months!! :shock::oops::lol:

as far as i know, I think the kit should also fit the GR (assuming the header design and ECU pin-outs are the same as the GPX) However, I believe the GR has a MAF sensor so there may be additional tuning required.

testing so far has been very positive. there are some minor heating and boost control issues to sort out but nevertheless, the car is extremely responsive from 2700rpm onwards with a strong urge kicking in at full boost from 4000rpm.

I won't divulge on HP figures for now because the tuning is not 100% spot-on yet, but let's just say for now that so far it has exceeded well beyond our expectations. :D