Speakers in rear interior panels

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mr-charisma
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Speakers in rear interior panels

Post by mr-charisma »

Has anyone put some speakers in the indented rear interior panels? Or looked into doing it? I'm not sure what work would go into it.. does anyone have any idea?
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

i got the interior panels if you want to buy em and try it out :lol:
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Hehe, it might be cheaper to try it on my panels & then buy yours if i totally screw them up ;) :lol:
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

OMG this is what i wanna do :D i just installed rear and front speakers in my car :D
when you do yours you can show me how to do it :P
lol jono how much u selling yours for? and whats the sizes :P
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I may have to do some fibreglassing for it... I've never fibreglassed anything before so It will be a learning experience ... This is another one of those things that is just in the "thinking about it" stage atm... I really want to do it though, I will talk to the guy doing the installation of my alarm & speaker wiring & see if he has any ideas..
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

Would be a lot of flex in the panels unless you did some bracing / deadening. Also not sure how much space is behind them.
I'm personally not a fan of rear speakers unless you have passengers a lot. Have read an interesting viewpoint on that, being that your ears face forward and considering the relative distance between front and rear speakers you're going to hear mainly from the front speakers.

That being said, if you were going to put some speakers in the rear, go 6.5"...
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Yeah i wouldn't go any bigger then 6.5, i guess i will have to wait and see how Mr goes :P
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

I dont think there would be much point sound wise.. as its only the rear stage.. Put a set of cheap 6x9s or 6.5s in the rear shelf to shut up back seaters... then chuck in as many $$ as you can for fronts..

I run a $1299 set of Boston Acoustic Pro 6.5 Splits getting 800W from a $499 Kenwood Amp.

My rears are a set of $229 soundstream 6x9 3 ways getting 50W ea from the head deck... lol... The rears barely matter. Ask any Pro car audio installer... They are only there for "fill".

Get decent front (MB Quartz, High end pioneer, Boston Acoustics) and what a solid 2 ch amp onto them. Enjoy the bliss...

If you have subs, no need for 6x9s as 6.5s will give a better sound for less.

Also if you like clarity, get a 12 inch sub.. I used to have 2x15s in mine... great to shake your head but crap for punch. Then 2x 12"s (4000Wrms) but they were built for SPL as well.. Now i have a single $180 Pioneer sub that sounds beautiful.. and as with everything.. dont skimp on $50 just to get a no-name brand.. theres a massive difference.

Sorry got a bit off topic there...

Basically, theres no need to put speakers there... but if you wanted to for fun/looks, then you'll need some bracing as KD said.There is some reasonable room behind the panels, So i'd cut the round section out and make it flat (lose the armrest) with a thinish peice of MDF. then overlay with fibreglass and possibly have the MDF bracket onto the chassis in 1-2 places.

also, try to seal the speaker. You will get better bass from it then.

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Thanks for that Sam :) looks like i will be going out and buying an AMP heheh
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

eThix wrote:Thanks for that Sam :) looks like i will be going out and buying an AMP heheh
What speakers do you have? If standard, i wouldnt bother.

When buying an amp, stick to GOOD brands... especially for fronts... its all about quality.
Pioneer is my weapon of choice, however the kenwood is still awesome.
Alpine are good too. But if anyone buys US Audio or some sh*t like that... You will bear my wrath!!!
Oh and just because kenwood make a decent amp.... they're speakers are ordinary. in the $200-600 price range the pioneers are awesome.. $600-$1100 is MB Quarts series, and the $1100 + only really leaves exotics like Boston Acoustic Pros

eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

I've got 6.5 pioneer(front), and 6x9 pioneer(rear) just got them installed 2 weeks ago :)
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Good choice matey... Great brand... Grab a pioneer 4 channel.
400Wrms would be good for them...
Either bridge the amp to 2ch and give your fronts all the power or plit it 4 ways to power your rears as well.. hope your fronts cost double your rears??

eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

I will probably split it 4 way :)

lol ahhhh they cost the same as my rear, there probably not the best.... but there good enough :)
well this gives me an idea :P get new good front ones, and move my old ones to the back rear panel :P
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Thanks for all the juicy info Sam :) I am upgrading my sound system soon, just after I get my new alarm installed, it is long overdue ...

I've noticed everyone suggesting 6x9's for the rear shelf, is there any particular reason for this?

Here is what I am thinking & prices I am getting on them;

Alpine Type S 5x7 - $100 x 3 (2 in front & either 4 on rear parcel shelf or 2 on rear shelf & 2 in the rear side panels)

Alpine Type S 12" Sub - $170 (Making custom sub box)

Cadence 500 (5 Channel Amp) - $430

Wiring - $60

Cheapo (Temporary) Kenwood MP3 HeadUnit - $99

Upgrading from head unit later on to a Samsung Q1 UMPC with a Car Mount;
Will be running; Sound System, DVD & Video, GPS, Wireless Internet, Games etc

Total without UMPC - $1059 (Doing the install & custom builds myself)

I am getting a very good price on the equipment, wanting some feedback on the 5x7's setup all round. What does everyone think?
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Ugh... dont you dare get those speakers mate... If you wanna spend some $$ on your system, come round one day for a chat, i used to be right into this. Totally wrong way about it..
CBF writing details atm as its 2:20am, but 5x7s are pointless. 6x9s are a direct fit in the rear. 6.5s up front... save as much $$ as you can for the fronts.. they are 90% of the system. Amp the suckers... get a set of okay 6x9s for the rear fill.. if u have a spare 2 ch of amp, get some juice into them too..
Sub is a good pick.
Try and go for seperate amps. A small D-Class for the sub and a 4ch (bridgeable to 2ch) for the fronts/rears. It wont cost too much different but allows greater flexibility.

seriously need to talk in person if u wanna do it right...

msbchi
Grease Monkey

/

Post by msbchi »

I have to agree with you Sam, many cheap speakers don't =one good one, I'm running Orion 6.5 splits in front and 6x9s in the rear, both connected to an Orion 4004 amp and it's brilliant crystal clear sound quality and too loud to sit in the car when pumped up to full volume. The only improvement will be an Orion 4002 amp to run the 12in sub I just picked up. I'll try bridging the amp first but I like the tight bass the 6x9s put out when amped so another amp for the sub is on my wish list at the moment.