oil leaks

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Derf
jedwabna poszewka promocja

oil leaks

Post by Derf »

Hi All I'm a fairly new FTO GPX owner living in the Hills I recently had the car serviced at the "local" Mistsubishi dealers and they informed me that there was an oil leak from behind the timing belt covers which should be fixed as a priority due to possible deterioration of timing belt they also suggested that the water pump be replaced whilst it is accessable The car has 170K on the clock and the previous owner said the timing belt had been replaced about 40K ago The local dealers do not have much experience with FTO's and contacted city branch in order to get estimate for work ($2000 +) I was just wondering if anyone out there has had similar work done and if it is necessary to replace the pump just because they can :?:
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

Doing the water pump is usually recommended when you're doing the timing belt because it's not much more work required whilst you've got everything off.

You don't need to go to Mitsubishi to service your car. Both the FTOs my gf owned went to local mechanics who had never worked on one before. There's a major service thread floating around the forums if you search, it's got approximate costs.
jakey106
Mechanic

Post by jakey106 »

I had my timing belt changed and seals and it costed me about 600 bucks mitshubishi is expensive so a mechanic will be better