Is removing the parcel shelf COVER illegal?

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

oodLes
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Is removing the parcel shelf COVER illegal?

Post by oodLes »

As I understand it its only illegal if you cut into or modify the parcel shelf in some way. I just did a straight swap over of the 6x9's to a new set, nothing changed, however they sit fairly high and I can't get the parcel shelf cover (the old speaker grills and plastic over the metal) back in as it just won't fit. I'm going to be modifying THAT fairly soon to accomodate them. Is either of these things illegal?

Also once child restraints are installed, is it illegal to remove them? Curse you dstocks and having a family!~ :lol: :wink:
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

why is your speaker sitting higher?

why would it be illegal to drill couple of small holes to the parcel shelf? its not firewall.
I understand removing the whole thing might structurally effect the car but what damage might few screw holes cause?
Who would check this out also?
[img]http://www.smyrnaie.com/SeatCovers/FTO/ftobanner.jpg[/img]
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

Because its a 3way 6x9 and the tweeter centre part sits above the outside rim of the speaker. The stock 6x9's do not. And modifying the parcel shelf by cutting is illegal. I'm not sure that drill holes would cause much concern but cutting around a bit to fit different speakers is definately illegal.

Also this is what it looks like atm:

New speakers:

Child restraint mount things that i want to remove but don't know about the legalities:
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

cut down the tweeter centre part :lol:

I see your issue now
I have the same problem, my 6x9s have the same extra height,
Hence I thought about changing them to 6" components later on

What I did is used a bit of black leatherette material over the shelf and mounted the speakers on top, so, I dont see the bare metal, but speakers are shown.

Forget about cutting the shelf, that sounds like too big of a job for couple of pissy 6x9s,
You need to cut the gap first, and then attach a new connection points, etc...

Also, your child mount looks massive, I only had the black bit on the top in my car, you definately dont need the second mount.
I have just taken the hole thing out, not sure about legalities.
I dont carry any child in my car, certainly not planning also :P
[img]http://www.smyrnaie.com/SeatCovers/FTO/ftobanner.jpg[/img]
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

They sat above the old speaker covers, that's why they're raised like that. Also I said that cutting the shelf is illegal and I didn't need to do it anyway. :wink:
The black bit you pointed out sat on top of the speaker cover.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

What speakers are they ...

I want to try to get my Cerwin Vega's into the rear of an FTO ...
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

Kenwood KFC-M6935A's, 350Watts:

http://www.kenwoodaudio.com/thailand/pr ... KFC-M6935A

I got them for $70, down from $170, no idea why they were so cheap but damn it was worth the quick upgrade.
tarkus
Mechanic

Post by tarkus »

leaving the cover off is not a problem, it will look sh*t but does not effect the strength of the car.

unless you start cutting the metal, but if you leave them mounted high as it looks like then you are OK

Tarkus (ex FTO owner)
Money can't buy happiness, but it can help you look for it quicker, in a convertible.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

oodLes wrote:Kenwood KFC-M6935A's, 350Watts:

http://www.kenwoodaudio.com/thailand/pr ... KFC-M6935A

I got them for $70, down from $170, no idea why they were so cheap but damn it was worth the quick upgrade.
Hmm that does seem like a pretty good deal ... Not sure if my Cerwins are gonna fit ...

I am not entirely sure what the stock grill cover looks like on the FTO, but you cut away at the splines on the speaker cover to have a bit more clearance ... Is that what you were talking about cuttin in your first post ???
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Take that big ugly metal thing away that go over the speakers!

and then with the old Speaker cover that you had on, brake the plastic that is under the metal mesh so your speakers can fit, This is what i did. OR you can do a custom job and order some leatherette from max :P

i will be doing this soon. so watch out max hehehe :P
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

I've actually grabbed a metre or so of Car carpet from bunnings, outlined the back area and made holes for the 6x9's. Its about halfway completed at the moment, and let me tell you, the back screws can go to hell. I'm spending about an hour on the back two alone because of the stupid position you have to get into back there and I can't see the screw the entire time so I can't get the screwdriver into it! :x

ARGH

I'll take pics when done though, its like $30 including tools and its looking damn good. :D
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

rock_it wrote:I am not entirely sure what the stock grill cover looks like on the FTO, but you cut away at the splines on the speaker cover to have a bit more clearance ... Is that what you were talking about cuttin in your first post ???
Yes it is, I'll take a photo for you mate, you'll probably want to do what I did with the complete replacement of the shelf cover.
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

See how the 6x9 cover sits absolutely flat? That's why you can't mount anything that sits higher than the top of the speaker cone itself, and why I just finished my custom made shelf.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Ahhh .. I C ...

But how much clearance is there if you cut all of those splines out .. That should give you the clearance... Shouldn't it ... ???

This is what I will be working with ...

I had to put spacers in to the cressida as I did not want to cut the parcel tray ... Looks a little ugly but it was only a daily driver after all ...
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

just a thought my mate just mentioned to me... i'm drunk right now, yers i am drunk at 1pm on a wednsday, what you have a problem with it? huh huh? lol

anyways, what about mounting the speakers from the bottom, rather than sitting them on top of the parcel shelf... what about mounting them from undernieth, so there's "extra" height for the grill to go back on.
a little bit of macking around but.... saves you cutting and drilling etc...
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
robsta
Veteran Mechanic

Post by robsta »

Or you could just take your car to 13oreps AA meeting and he can show you what he means :lol: :twisted:
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

hahahah why is every one getting drunk in the day time? my gf is doing the same thing... wait! Yang are you with her?! :evil:
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

eThix wrote:hahahah why is every one getting drunk in the day time? my gf is doing the same thing... wait! Yang are you with her?! :evil:

:lol: :twisted:
is she... um.. crap i dont actually know what your gf looks like... in fact... i've been to yours twice now and i never saw your gf, u sure u r not just making her up? :D
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

BorepYano wrote:
eThix wrote:hahahah why is every one getting drunk in the day time? my gf is doing the same thing... wait! Yang are you with her?! :evil:

:lol: :twisted:
is she... um.. crap i dont actually know what your gf looks like... in fact... i've been to yours twice now and i never saw your gf, u sure u r not just making her up? :D
lol maybe if you came in side for once :( instead of always leaving in a hurry :cry: you would see her...
cb
Grease Monkey

Post by cb »

I had that problem with mine when i put in xplod 350w 6x9's. I took the plastic *~delightful!~* cover off and chopped away at the plastic cross sections where the 6x9's go and it worked a treat. I am now thinking of ditching the plastic bit completely as all it does it rattle some red vinyl may be the way to go!