Sound quality when running 2 different subs

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Sound quality when running 2 different subs

Post by GPXXX »

will it sound weird if i ran 2 different subs together in a single box...? for example i currently have a single 12" PG Tantrum 12D fitted, but for more boom-boom factor I'd like to add another sub, possibly either a JL W0 or a Kicker EX...

How will this affect the sound produced?? Will it give me a deeper bass or it'll just cancel out the frequency from one to another??
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmmm isn't this call the "pull & push" technic, which i've seen a few in Sounds comp
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

the pull and push technique, i think is where you wire one of the subs in the same enclusere, so that you cross the possitive and negative, and then the subs go oppisite ways, eg on will pump out while the other goes in... i think ..
btw mikey no idea what the sound quality would be like, but would one 12' tantru be enough ?? I would reccomend sepperate enclosures
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

no i don't mean inverted setups... i just want MORE BASS (so you can hear my boom-boom from a block away hahaha :twisted: ) without the complexity of separate enclosures...

what i mean is an enclosure with 2 different types of subs mounted on it (which may coincidentally share similar enclosure sizing recommendations from the manufacturer, which is unknown at this stage)

i can't seem to find another 12" PG Tantrum 12D on the market, so i might have to settle for a different sub...
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

it would prob sound bit different but not as in bad different. Maybe increasing power to the PG sub? maybe even use a ported box if you dont already?

Maybe even remove the 6 x 9s in rear shelf, to let through more bass is a good idea?

Also its a good idea to seperate the box into two chambers for your subs well being if something does go wrong.

If you add another sub but still use the same power from amps you would hardly notice an increase in DB.

The fto has a sealed boot so letting through the bass by removal of speakers is a good idea, cheap as well.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Nice short answer now!
Last edited by ruchi on Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

What a detailed answer Ruchi... nice one :)

Just to follow that up - car audio is a little more flexible, but in Pro audio we try not to use different kinds (brands etc) of drivers in a single setup. This is because each individual model of driver has different characteristics - even if they appear the same, ie: 12" with 2" voice coil etc. The differences in mechanical and electrical specs of the drivers mean that each model has a different resonant frequency (the one it sounds best at) and generally, if you're using 2 drivers of the same type (say 12") but different models then the resonant frequencies are often too close to make a difference.

Basically what you'll get is a slight increase in the overall feel of the bass where the new resonant frequence of the new driver is, but the different frequency responses of the speakers won't be complimentary. Best to use the same type/brand of driver.

Oh, another nifty trick, in order to increase cabin SPL, use a vented/ported box as Ruchi said, but run the port into the cabin, through the parcel shelf. What you'll in effect be creating is a dual bandpass isobaric setup (because you'll have two sealed chambers separated by the drivers) they take a little tuning, but the boost in bass because of the physics of it are worth it.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

hey, nice "nifty trick" there Rudi. I hadn't thought of that. :D
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

errr ruchi man, u lost me after the word "something" at the end of the 1st paragraph LoL... reckon you can keep it simple in english, dude? :roll: ;)
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

What is english? i only speak engolishhhhhhh :twisted: me no understand more then 2 sentencessssssss!!!
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

I give up!

Take it to a professional and pay lots of $$$

Short enough for you?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

ruchi wrote:I give up!

Take it to a professional and pay lots of $$$

Short enough for you?
Is that for mikey or me????
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

oh what the hell, the more the merrier... this thread is having me laughing in tears LoLz..!!

kev you shitstirrer you hahaha.... :lol:

ruchi dude, done take him seriously... and yerrr, keep it short, simple and sweet ;)

thanks for your help... now i actually have some decent bedtime stories to read (a nice 'refreshing change' compared to my Ralph and FHM collection haha)
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

mikey we don't want to know about "what makes u excited before bed"
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

**** Boing!!!!**** Can you feel the tension?????
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

mmmm.... angelina jolie..... :wink: :lol:

i know what you're thinking brendan - hand off your pants now boy..!! :P
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

There is no need for me to put my hands on my pants.. Unlike some!!! :P

Cough Cough "Mikey"
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

"Dear Penthouse,

I never thought these letters were real, but one day I was browsing a car club forum on the internet when..."
LED ALL the things.
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

well..... this thread did start with a question about 12"ers

:P