Questions about 6A12TT

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

overboostin007
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Questions about 6A12TT

Post by overboostin007 »

Just wondering what is involved in a 6A12TT conversion into an fto. Is there much more work. Ie does the engine bolt up to the existing engine mounts. I know the wiring and ecu will be different. But are the drive shafts the same length etc. Just looking about and the 6A12TT engine isn't much more expensive then the standard 6A12
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

Rocco
Grease Monkey

Post by Rocco »

a lot of work...money...stress...and the rest.
FTO-279
overboostin007
Grease Monkey

engine

Post by overboostin007 »

Yeah i figured i need to replace the engine anyway, and being there is not much difference in prices on the both engines that maybe if it were easy enough to do that it might be worth doing the 6A12TT.
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

the 6a12TT sits in the opposite side of the engine bay, you might as well just get the 6a13TT it sits on the same side as the FTO 6a12 and you can use the original engine mounts, all you really have to do is wire it all up.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

and make new manifold and piping
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

most people cbf with the conversion. Its not straight forward however anything can be done.

Just get a 6a12 and drop it in...save your money and buy a house!
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

I recon you could get a 6a13 in without much trouble, the engine should slip straight in, straight onto your gearbox, if you have a gr the 6a13 should hook straight up to the gr harness and all you have to do is change ECU's from what I have heard, I think where most of the money ends up is in the turbo as there is not much room for the twins and then custom work has to be done to make it single.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Seen two 6a13tt conversions in person...

Both took over a year to complete and both took over $25k.

you need a lot of custom piping, custom cooling (thanks to the newfound turbo), new exhaust, new wiring, intercooler, ECU, tuning, CVs, intake manifold, stronger mounts, custom built clutch with stronger pressure plate, cuting of front bar and chassis to fit intercooler (you also loose air con).

And after all this, you're going to loose all your handling and traction...

Come down this way and talk to adam or jeff... both will inform you of their headaches.. Its a much bigger project than it looks...

as others have said... stick with the 6a12..

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

bigpitty1 wrote:I recon you could get a 6a13 in without much trouble, the engine should slip straight in, straight onto your gearbox, if you have a gr the 6a13 should hook straight up to the gr harness and all you have to do is change ECU's from what I have heard, I think where most of the money ends up is in the turbo as there is not much room for the twins and then custom work has to be done to make it single.
lol your welcome to come to sydney and fit one in for me :D
bigpitty1
Mechanic

Post by bigpitty1 »

jonowong wrote:
bigpitty1 wrote:I recon you could get a 6a13 in without much trouble, the engine should slip straight in, straight onto your gearbox, if you have a gr the 6a13 should hook straight up to the gr harness and all you have to do is change ECU's from what I have heard, I think where most of the money ends up is in the turbo as there is not much room for the twins and then custom work has to be done to make it single.
lol your welcome to come to sydney and fit one in for me :D
I'll put the engine in but it ain't goin to be turbo'd.