Club Exhibition @ 2004 Melbourne Auto Salon or Auto Expo

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Club Exhibition @ 2004 Melbourne Auto Salon or Auto Expo

Post by GPXXX »

Expressions of interest are now taken for members who are keen to enter their FTO at the upcoming Melbourne Auto Salon on the 3rd-4th April (or 18th - 19th September) or the GLO Auto Expo (date & location tba)

What we are considering is an entrant for each category that meets the following criteria:

1) Extreme Modified NA (if anybody in Vic has a meaner NA mod done to their car than Eric's GPvR MADFTO, let me know)

2) Modified MIVEC turbo (you up for this Scracy? ;))

3) Extreme Modified GPX (ie: modified transplants - hopefully yours truly, if all goes to plan hehe ;))

4) I.C.E-cool monster (* looks at Brendan * ;) )

5) Stock FTO (for spectators who'd like to get a feel for what it's like inside an FTO)

More details for the Auto Salon's condition of entry can be found HERE

As part of the club display, you may also enter in dyno/SPL comps if you desire (for an additional fee).

I will require firm confirmation from those who are seriously interested by early March (if you wish to enter the April event), or late July (for the September event)
Last edited by GPXXX on Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sxcfto
Mechanic

Post by sxcfto »

Yep you can count me in Mikey Im sure I could find some more things to do to my car before then .... :roll: ching ching $$
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Yeah Mikey ill be in it but whats the deal? Who pays the entrance fees etc? Who looks after the cars for the duration of the show? I personally would prefer the number plates be covered for reasons which are obvious,maybe some fto australia plates :wink: How many of our cars would be needed to respresent the club?
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Well we're looking at 5 cars in total (one for each aforementioned category) and as for the entry costs well no we won't be getting any funding from uncle Howard (if that's what you hoped for) or any companies so we'll have to foot the entry bill ourselves... (stay tuned for that one as I work out the pricing)

If we can chip in the costs together any way we can for the club entry (incl accessories like rails/props etc) then that'll be great. And no, the plates will be removed (if allowable) and the cars will be secured by the security guards afterhours (the centre will be locked down after 10pm i think)
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Cool thanks Mikey for clarifying my points, I dont want to sound like a tightarse or anything but as you know im in the process of building a house so funds are a bit tight. :wink:
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

Hey Mikey,

Definately count me in for the Auto Salon. I have entered my car into 3 different car shows, (ShowOff, AutoSalon and Auto Expo). Auto Salon is by far the best car show to participate in. However the selection process can be very difficult. Last year, when I entered my car, they required a picture and a written profile of the car. I dont think they will allow just a stock FTO in. If you want to have about 5 cars, they all need to look different, and be original in some way. Im only going by last years selection process. It may be different for this year.

The costs involved can be pretty expensive. Off the top of my head, I think it was about $85 to enter a car plus about $35 to hire a power point. A power point is vital if you want to run your sound system on during the event, and other things like spot lights etc. You must also consider things like drop sheets, barriers, lights etc. These things cost money. :x You must also ensure that your car is in top shape. Its not worth showing your off your car if it looks average.
You can also go to the extreme of getting promo girls wearing club T-Shirts, giving out stuff to promote the club. (Which equals more money). I did this at the Auto Expo for the Exclusive stand, and it turned out to be a major success.

As for security of your car, the cars get locked up for two nights (Friday and Saturday) So be prepared to have no car for a whole weekend. The cars are pretty safe at night, but during the day while the event is on, it is highly recomended that someone stands next to the cars. There are a lot of dickheads that jump in the car, and play around with things in the car.

Im not writing this to scare anyone, I am just telling you of the experiences I have had in the past. I am warning you to give it a lot of thought before you enter your car. This is the reason why, I want to enter only 1 car show this year. I hope this has helped you guys in some way.

I am also willing to answer any questions about the shows
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i guess we should check out the Auto Salon this April to suss out the scene first and decide what we're gonna for for the Final battle in September...

that way it gives us plenty of time to prepare (and save up $$). by that time the club membership structure would be well underway hence the membership fees could all contribute to exhibition props like stands, lights, carpets etc...
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

There has been some renewed interest for participating in this event for April's Melbourne Auto Salon.

To get the ball rolling, we will require some sort of genuine commitment (read: deposit) from those who are interested in entering their car for the show. PM me and we'll make the arrangements.

The main criteria for eligibility is looks and performance, hence a certain level of modification will be required (ICE, wheels, bodykit, performance mods etc incl'd).

Entry costs for the event itself are as follows: https://ssl1.au.siteprotect.net/autosal ... ecard.html
* If we can get 6 cars or more, we can enter as a club and it's $90 per weekend ($110 otherwise per individual car).

As far as club display accessories / props / lighting / model babes go, we'll sort out these details at the next mini meet (TBA). Understandably, some of these things will have costs associated with it but a ballpark figure of around $120pp (for 6 entrants) should suffice over the entire weekend...

Brendan and I will be happy to assist with any queries in the meantime.

C'mon gang - let's make this happen!! :D
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

As mentioned before Mikey,Iam interested but realistically youd be looking at around $210 per entrant which frankly i dont have right now.Iam sure you can appreciate that when your building a house and the costs involved $210 is a lot of money that i just dont have right now.Iam proud to be an fto owner and equally proud to be a member of this club but my priority right now has to be with my family.I was under the impression that the club was going to fund this in some way.
sxcfto
Mechanic

Post by sxcfto »

Well Mikey I would be happy to participate and will try and do as many mods as possible before the show to get my baby looking the part, come on guys who else can do it we have to show a really good bunch of cars so we can be known and promote the club as much as possible..
We know the $$$ factor is a bit high but the more of us that chip in the cheaper and better it will be. :wink:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

well after discussions with Toni, the good news is that we already have some of the major props sorted (ie: lighting) which means less outlay required for display at the club stand... if we all band in together with our contributions, we can make this an awesome weekend! :D
JSP-INC
Grease Monkey

Post by JSP-INC »

have u guys tried to tee up some sponsorship?
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

Perhaps we can make the Philip Island charity cruise a fund raiser for autosalon entrance fees as well...
LED ALL the things.
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

I was about to volunteer to help out with lighting as well.....

too little too late :| although still happy to help out where i can.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Re: ....

Post by GPXXX »

JSP-INC wrote:have u guys tried to tee up some sponsorship?
awesome bro, your sponsorship would be much appreciated man! ;)

besides, just think of all the tax benefits! hehehehe...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Mikey, u & your tax-claim....................what would u claim it under????
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

FTO338 wrote:Mikey, u & your tax-claim....................what would u claim it under????
business marketing expense (under JSP Inc) ;)

but hey, don't take my words for it, i passed accounting by 1 point back in TAFE LoL... :P
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Not wanting to put a dampener on things, but just a sugestion....

I think the idea of going in AutoSalon is great, and I think it will be benefitial for both those involved and the club, but I think it is a sacrifice for those involved and some of that should be worn by the club.

Those who are involved will be without their cars for a number of days, and will also have to give up their time. They also risk minor damage or scratches to their cars.

Rather than racing to get this done now, why not plan this out properly and put things in place to do it properly for the next AutoSalon?

Just like we will be saving all the proceeds for the charity, up until next year, so we have a more reasonable amount to show, why not do a similar thing for AutoSalon? i.e. why not have two piggy banks, one for donations to the charity and one for donations for the AutoSalon, then we can crack open the charity one come the RCH Good Friday Appeal, and we can crack open the AutoSalon one when it comes around next year. That way those who are displaying their cars won't have the financial burden.

...just my 2 cents (which you can add to the piggy banks, 1c in each) :P
MIVEC is My Friend :D
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Im with you on that one ruchi,my point is though are we simply trying to do too much at once,should we be able to walk before we run?Personally both the charity thing and autosalon are great ideas but shouldnt we do one thing at a time,at least until we are a fully fledged car club with sources of income such as membership fees which the club could use to help fund events such as autosalon.I could probably find the $90 or so for the entry fee but i think those of us that are not displaying their cars should financially contribute as well.Maybe we should have a poll or something and work out which event is going to be the most benificial to the club and its members,after all charity does start at home. :lol:
JSP-INC
Grease Monkey

Post by JSP-INC »

i would be more inclined to waiting for something like Auto expo towards the end of the year and see how we go with that, then go for something like a final battle at autosalon... gives ppl time to organise cars, funds, sponsorship.etc......
looks like everything is happenin' so quickly, which is great, but are we in a hurry??
i could try and hook up some sponsorship, just means we have to get a reason as to what the sponsors will get out of helping us out..
lol i would mikey but i'm not made of money :p