Front speakers

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mr-charisma
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Front speakers

Post by mr-charisma »

6.5" speakers should fit into the factory location in the doors without modification shouldn't they?

Can anyone tell me what the stock size is?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yep, 6.5's. They screw straight in.

Wow... I answered a question in the ICE section... lol its the only electrical thing I've done :P
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Sweet as thanks ... I saw Dr_Jones online earlier & thought he might beat you to it ...
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

I've got boston acoustic 6.5" splits up the front... these ones didn't just drop into the stock plastic speaker cage though, needed an adapter made up.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

scarecrow wrote:I've got boston acoustic 6.5" splits up the front... these ones didn't just drop into the stock plastic speaker cage though, needed an adapter made up.
what part didn't fit? the magnet or the dome? Also, what model Bostons have you got? I'm trying to decide between some Bostons, Focals or JL's at the moment.. I can get the best price on the top of the range JL 6.5" but I will wait until I hear them to decide...
scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

The rear of the basket is cut out, so I didn't think magnet size would be a problem. From memory, without going to check, they simply had too big a diameter.

I've got FS60's, picked them up used on the forum, with the custom mounting stuff, for $200 if I recall correctly. Great speakers, but as with all splits you really do need to have them powered by an amp and not just run off the headunit - which is sadly what I do until holidays roll around this year and I have some free time to throw in an amp.
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Thanks...
I'm gonna be amping mine up .. the head Unit I'm getting is great, but I will only be running the rears off it, for the fronts I will be getting a decent four channel (Thinking Alpine V12 series 4Ch) & bridging it up. Still undecided on front speakers, leaning toward JL's ...
Will eventually be running the subs (2 x 500W RMS 12") from (I'm thinking) a 1000w RMS Alpine PDX Monoblock or a JL 1000/1v2 ... (The two alpines will look much nicer in my boot install though :P
1% THD on the Alpines though, which is a bit of a drawback, compared to the JL's 0.08% THD ... not sure that I'd really even notice it with the bass¿ but oh well, thats a while off yet..
Just want to get the Splits. 4Ch. H/U ASAP & go from there...
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

I've got the jaycar 6.5" kevlars up front. Wasn't a straight drop in...ended up butchering the factory mount/mould with a sharp knife and some bullnose pliers and cutters lol.
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

my pioneer ones didn't fit 6.5
so i just drilled the suckers in with the screws :) very easy
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

I'm pretty sure my focals didn't fit either. They will fit just maybe not straight in. Actually I think I made an MDF trim to go around because the factory speakers although circular have extra metal around some edges and they are mounted through that.
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Well if you have trouble let me know and i will help you out :) even't show you what i did to mine to make it fit .
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

When they don't fit straight in what's the problem, are they too big dimension wise, or are they too deep for the door?
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

My 6.5's were too deep. I had to remove the bottom of the plastic mould in my door to fit my speakers. And drill new holes. Worth it though...those jaycar kevlars are fantastic! Coupled with 6x9 rears, everyone that's heard them is blown away by the quality for price ($230 discount, front and rear) and can fool some people into thinking i've got a crappy sub in the boot.
Sugar
Mechanic

Post by Sugar »

my jl's were a little too deep, so insead on hacking up the plastic baskets up// i just made a template out of mdf to use as a spacer.
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

MDF mounting is a better way to go IMO. If your installing good gear, why not spend a little more time to make the most of them?

An MDF panel gives a nice rigid mounting point for the speakers and they're a piece of cake to make up:

MDF adaptors with bolts to secure them.

Go nuts with some of that sticky backed foam from the local hardware store.
Vibrations are a bitch to track down afterwards, so eliminate the chances wherever you can...

DLS reference series 6.5 in splits in MDF adaptor, ready to be bolted in after removing the speakers from the spacer again...

Couple of hours work and you end up with a good quality install...
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1613/sigpic2se2.jpg[/img]