Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

EURO
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

DYNO

Post by EURO »

Anyone here had their car dynoed???
where can you get it done in melbourne and for how much?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Whereabouts in Melbourne/Vic are you at?

Regardless of where it is, you should expect anywhere from $140-$200 for a dyno tune...
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

Im just in blackburn, eastern suburbs
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Rev Zone in Nunawading should be able to help... $180 for full dyno tune. Ask for Terry. Otherwise BGT is only a few blocks away at Rooks Rd (past JB Hifi)...
WILL
Grease Monkey

Post by WILL »

BGT moved.

Its now call Hypertech
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

WILL wrote:BGT moved.

Its now call Hypertech
8O really? wow... just goes to show how long it has been since i went there last time! :?
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

whats the benefit of dyno tuning than taking it to your mechanic?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

mechanic will do the servicing like replacing fluids and oil filters etc, check brakes, suspension exhaust and the like, whereas a dyno tune will give a better indication of actual performance and they can tune the ECUs to adjust the ignition retard / fuel mapping to suit...
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

So if a car has never been dyno tuned for around 2 years and only mechanically looked after, there should be some problems arising that only the dyno can find. My car has also been taken through rouphly 10 breakdowns, simply due to me not filling the tank up. Does this harm the car in a big 'performance way'?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

what do u mean by filling the tanks up? as in fluids or in terms of petrol? if it's petrol, don't run empty too many times coz i've heard that you will have run into injector / fuel pump problems in the long run... as for engine oil, get the best you can lay your cash on - they are essentially your engine's blood.

you can swap oil filters, air filters, engine oil, spark plugs etc etc, but when u go through dyno runs they can find flat spots in the rpm curve to see where power is dropping and such... It's really more to do with fine tuning the ECU because from time to time, the computer will retard its ignition timing to compensate for discrepancies in fuel octane levels for example, or the cold-heat range of the spark plugs may not be appropriate for such a high-comp engine, nitty-gritty stuff like that...

in short, think of dyno tune as a way of extracting hidden horses within the current setup of your engine.
Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey

Post by Blk-Jet »

i meant petrol :(
i think i shold inquire about getting my injectors cleaned up!

So can you tune your ecu to 98 octane only?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

not sure if the factory ECU can be reprogrammed like that, because it has an in-built feature which automatically retards the ignition timing by a few degrees whenever it detects a knock or pinging (and i'm sure we all know how and why that sort of sh*t starts so i won't go into detail about that)...

but yeah, get your injectors cleaned - who knows it might have some sludge stuffed on it from dodgy fuel... :wink:
Richc2
Apprentice

Post by Richc2 »

O2NV,
How do you program the factory ECU on a dyno?
I thought that is possible unless you have a piggyback or bypass ECU/chip such as unichip/AFC etc etc?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

factory FTO ecus are not programmable in itself, however they can be reset (simply by disconnecting the battery). however you can run piggyback modules (ie: S-AFC) and tune them.

if you run an aftermarket computer, then you can tune them on the dyno to iron out any problems with lean mixtures or ignition timing etc etc