Timing belt?

Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

sunset_angel
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Timing belt?

Post by sunset_angel »

Hey guys, just realised my timing belt will need to be changed for the next service and its going to cost me $639 from Mitsubishi. They assure me I wont get this for cheaper. Can anyone advise?
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Been a few topics on this before. If you've got a GPX, apparently a Gates Belt part No:T987 will do.

Or have a look over here in NZ... Kempy's (http://www.kempys.co.nz) or Mitsi Garage would do them for about $200.
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
sunset_angel
Apprentice

Post by sunset_angel »

Grue wrote:Been a few topics on this before. If you've got a GPX, apparently a Gates Belt part No:T987 will do.

Or have a look over here in NZ... Kempy's (http://www.kempys.co.nz) or Mitsi Garage would do them for about $200.

So I could order it myself from them and then take it to someone to get done? Uhm.. GPX? Sorry.. bit stupid here. The guy today tried to tell me the difference in the timing belts for FTO's, depending on the engine and cylinders etc and said because mine was the bigger engine, but not a mivec I couldn't go for something that wasn't the origional?
sunset_angel
Apprentice

Post by sunset_angel »

By the way, that was portside mitsubishi that quoted me that for the timing belt.
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Ok... the two most common models of fto:

GPX: 2litre V6 Mivec, engine bay looks like:

GR: 2litre V6 non-Mivec, engine bay looks like:

Sounds like you've got a GR, but always good to check.

I just had my GR done. Full 100,000km service, and I think the Mitsubishi Garage charged me $160 or something for the genuine belt. We don't have the stupid ozzy mark up over here on most stuff like that. So yeah, if i were you, i'd order one from over here, then take it to a garage to get done.

Worth checking your local board for recommended mechanics as well - I hear Mitsi Garages can be pretty pricey on the whole service, so shop around for quotes!

If you have any probs finding one, drop me a pm. Could alway stick one in the post for ya.
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

If you get one from Kempy's, also worth getting an aftermarket water pump at the same time. This should be done at same time as u're cambelt, and the mitsi ones over there have a serious mark up as well apparently!