Cruises, Meeting's and State Specific Information

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Lozzygirl
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Found this fto online..

Post by Lozzygirl »

I hope this is in the right spot first of all :lol:
I found this Fto online, it looks really nice to me, but i dont know much :?
I dont think it has a sunroof though :(
And it says,
4 speed auto, but then down the bottom it says 4 speed manual over-ride, this will proberbly sound stupid, but is it auto or manual? :?

Here's the link,
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/pr ... 9&trecs=14

Thanks,
Lauren.
*Some girls are just born with glitter in their veins*
mr_f700
Grease Monkey

Post by mr_f700 »

yeah it is auto all the fto auto's are tiptronic

and no it doesnt have a sunroof

tc
Rocco
Grease Monkey

Post by Rocco »

Its also about $3500 over what u should pay for it.
FTO-279
robsta
Veteran Mechanic

Post by robsta »

Rocco wrote:Its also about $3500 over what u should pay for it.
comments like this are why FTO prices are getting so low
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Maybe you should have a look at my car :)
i will PM you more info
Lozzygirl
Apprentice

Post by Lozzygirl »

Really how hard can it be to find a black, gpx, auto with a sunroof in QLD? :(
MissxFTO
Veteran Mechanic

Post by MissxFTO »

& that was the car that was around when i brought mine....... lol been on the market for over a year now...

so might b wise to stay away from that one.
[img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/923/msf70lz5.jpg[/img]
Lozzygirl
Apprentice

Post by Lozzygirl »

8O Mmm sounds like a good idea then.
Im starting to get disheartened...
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Dont worry.... The right one will come up and then you'll fall in love...

Its just patience... As you said, you have to wait a month or two anyway, so you can only browse at this stage... more will come up..

And its worth travelling for the right car... i bought mine from sydney... Train it down there... drive it home.... I dont think the non-mivec cams got much of a run... the high rpm cams had a good workout... (going from old mans commodore to high revving v6??? splat splat...)

Will keep an eye out for you... I browse Car sales every now and then trying to recruit members... lol...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Rocco wrote:Its also about $3500 over what u should pay for it.
why though? it's got fairly low km's (if genuine) interior looks tidy, even if showing some early signs of wear.. (most people will want to re-upholster the interior anyway..)

Assuming that it has been looked after mechanically (see no mention of servicing or replacement of worn parts - bit suss) theres no reason why the price he's asking is unreasonable.. they're an awesome car.. $11,000 really is an insult..

I think people are getting too used to seeing these Bogus scam ads for massively modded FTO's for 10k & desperate owner's needing to sell for whatever they can get before going overseas or whatever..

If you manage to pick up a bargain that doesn't turn out to be a complete lemon, then that is awesome, but for what they are, and compared to everything else on offer for the same price range, FTO's are cheap @ $15k

That said, while it would be better getting an FTO with low kM's, I think if it comes down to the difference between getting one with 80k on the ODO with no major servicing, and one with 120,000km on the ODO that has had the major 100,000 km done ($1500) and some other major work done like replacing suspension etc .. it is a far better option to get the one with 120k on the clock...
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

I agree with michael...

That said you cant compare general specs on cars... every car on the 2nd hand market is different...

I work for Mazda and Mercedes selling New and Used cars... I also have to Value cars as part of my job...

So i do this 20 times a day everyday...

The idea when buying a car is to purchase it for as little as possible...

There are cars out there for $11k that should be more...

And there are ones for $15k that should be less...

And everything in between..

Some people arent negotiable on price... Some are very flexible..

a $15k car may be able to be bargained down to $13k (i got my fto from $14,500 to $10,500)

Lauren... If you see one in Brisbane, tell them to bring the car down to Centenary Mazda at Taringa. Ask for Sam.
I will do a full valuation on the car (tells you every scratch and dent and any future costs (rego, tyres, etc)...

The only thing it doesnt cover is engine problems (unless visually or audibly noticable)

And i can let them know how much they'd get for it if they traded. prob half what they're wanting though...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Just to expand on what Sam said;

You need to take into consideration all the costs you may incur in the *near* future when you buy the car, (can't expect them to drop the price because it might need an engine rebuild in 150,000 k's, but if it will need an engine rebuilt in 30,000 k's you could negotiate;))
Also, if they won't budge on their price AT ALL, you need to weigh up for yourself whether it is worth it with all the hidden costs, or whether to keep looking

Also things like;

General Condition - If it is due for its Major Service at 100k which includes, timing belt, water pump, cam seals spark plugs etc & will cost at least $1500 ... now while you can't expect them to take $1500+ off the price of the car because of this (it is a cost you must bear when you buy it, and its part of the reason why it isn't overpriced to begin with) you might be able to use it as leverage for negotiation.
If there is a loud tappet noise in the engine, this can be fixed up while doing the major 100k service for a little bit extra cost while they have the engine in peices, otherwise it will be fairly expensive

Suspension Components - The springs / shocks / bushes / droplinks might be in need of replacement in the near future & can cost $1500+
If they're in desperate need of replacement & the owner won't budge on price & the price of the car is not low enough to justify having to spend more money to fix it up, then just find a different car which has had the suspension replaced / fixed or where it is in good condition

Interior & Exterior - If the interior & Exterior are in poor condition, either don't buy it (because it will cost a few $$$ to fix it up) or, get them to lower their price pretty drastically if it is too high.
Things like worn / stained seat covers, rusty, chipped, dented exterior panels, interior panels & the biggest one of all - cracked stereo surround :P ($300 new) Budget $500 for new leatherette seat covers, $3000 for a new paint job & panel work to fix dents.

General wear & tear on mechanical parts that *might* happen in the future won't affect the price, it is just an expense of owning a car & unless the mechanical faults are obvious, or are found at or before the time of purchase you can't expect them to budge on their price

As Sam said, some cars are underpriced at 10k, some are overpriced at 15k, some are even underpriced at 15-20k. It all depends on; How unrealistic or desperatethe seller is, & what someone will actually pay for it.
dimi
Mechanic

Post by dimi »

sold my fto today just so u can guage values

this is below its a 96 GR with 120,000
and quite a few mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2335059

Sold it for 11,000 i kept the rims, i think it was worth at least 13,000 but because i was negotiable and guy bought it today cash i came down, the rest is history
Lozzygirl
Apprentice

Post by Lozzygirl »

Just wanted ot say thanks for all your replies :)
I really appreciate all of your help and advice!
Lauren