What Turbo?

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FtoSam
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by FtoSam »

Personally, i'd get a well known brand FMIC... Will be more effective...

With the setup you're doing, you want a nice tight, small IC.. Smaller = less lag, less boost loss and quicker response...

Something half that size would be fine...

possibly a second hand IC would do the job.. A Supra IC is fine... maybe an EVO IC or something would do the job as well..

At low PSI, Smaller is better... My intercooler was always WAY too big for 5-7psi...

Or you could get PWR to make you one like Adz.... but then thats big $$...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

get a ARC one. when the best is what you want,.

for you though, a generic one would be just fine for you in reality.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah im trying to go as small as possible whithout looking *~delightful!~* in my front bar.

I think it would look sh*t, this big open mouth with a tiny little intercooler in it.

I also thought that this was pretty small in the sceme of things. What would this size be classed as, big, med, smal. This is the size redline recommendedl
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Well seeing as i cant get any additional info on super charging *looks at some in paticular*. I have decided to just do my original plan and turbocharge. My research has lead me to a T28 turbo. Now i have seen some t25/t28 turbo's going cheap (second hand). What do you guys think of these would the t25 side be too little or would it work good.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Oh ffs, have some patience :lol: I get anywhere between 20 to 30 pms a day, I'll get to it!
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

what happened to the rippmodz supercharger? anyone can fabricate new brackets to mount that sucka! probably end up costing less than a full turbo setup too, at the current US-AU exchange rate..
Racing in a VL is like being in the Special Olympics, coz even if you win, you're still a <u>RETARD</u>
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

told you mate... I'll sell you my entire setup for $1800 in 6 months... turbo, Intercooler, piping, etc...

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Bennoz wrote:Oh ffs, have some patience :lol: I get anywhere between 20 to 30 pms a day, I'll get to it!
LMAO, come on i had to put the dig in :lol:

manofwood wrote:what happened to the rippmodz supercharger? anyone can fabricate new brackets to mount that sucka! probably end up costing less than a full turbo setup too, at the current US-AU exchange rate..
Well there is actually one of those supercharger is on ebay going for 1k, which is extremely tempting, of course you will need an extension etc, but still very tempting.
FtoSam wrote: told you mate... I'll sell you my entire setup for $1800 in 6 months... turbo, Intercooler, piping, etc...
No you didnt :lol: , the last you told me was i could buy your turbo off you round april. So what exactly does this kit come with??
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

So no one really answered my question, would a t25/t28 be just as good as the t28.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Hey buddy. Not too sure what you mean whether a t25/t28 will be as good as t28. As far as the t25 and the t28 is concerned: the t25 is from s13's and every 180sx's sr20. T28 is from s14's and above. Don't look at getting either of these factory turbo's second hand no matter how cheap and tempting they are. T25's are plain bearing and I'm pretty sure has a ceremic turbine so keep away as far as possible. Not sure if the t28 has a s/s turbine but I doubt it. Teeth will most likely be monged on either as well.

A garett gt series turbo is what your after and if this is what you meant then I'd reccom. the gt25 over a gt28. gt28 has a larger a/r ratio so the gt25 will spool quicker and should be cheaper. Main difference is that the gt28 is capable of a lot more power than the gt25, but your after under 10 pounds of boost so gt25 is the way to go.

Also don't let the jap brands confuse you too much. There's an aussie company who makes pretty good gt turbo's for a shitload less than what HKS would charge. I've seen them tested on sr20's before and in most cases the performance came close to the offerings of HKS (altho tecnically HKS is chinese). Pretty good when you take into consideration paying 1200 for a turbo compared to 2800.

Anywho hope that helps mate

p.s. pretty sure I saw your green lantern looking beast on mains rd today with Sam's turbo gorilla. Real mean presence on the road with you's two driving side by side. Woulda came along for a chat but had to get to work....
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Cheers for the info man, i was meaning that there are these turbo's, that have a t25 side (exhaust i think) so they spool really quick and then have a t28 side (intake i think) so it can take more air than a normal t25.

Oh there were a few of us today, what colour FTO do you have i think i saw you too
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Ah yeah the hybrid t25 t28. They're awesome turbo's but can be a bit expensive. Perfect for running low boost so yeh if you got the cash the spend definitly consider it.

And yeh the maroon fto was me. I was on my way to work and saw an fto going the opp direction with a front mount and was like WTF. So i turned around but lost ya's cos of the traffic. Then thought f**k it i'll be late for work so i just did another u-turn and you's ended up behind me.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

your getting the wrong turbo you know that right?
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yeah i tried that the first time, but the i kept sucking up small children every time i hit boost, children from NZ :lol:
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

My EVO turbo is up for sale here are the specs

Evolution 7 GTA
Turbo = TD05-15GK2-9.0T
Nozzle Area (cm2) = 9.0
Turbine = Inconel (steel alloy)
Compressor = Aluminium, 65mm wide

this turbo is ready to go perfect for a tip FTO owner wanting to turbo their car, this turbo is a nice size without gettitng any lag, kicks in nice and early and powers on all the way through the rev range.

Also i have my old intercooler which would suit the turbo...
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/barfy76/barfycopy1.jpg[/img]