What Turbo?

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

What Turbo?

Post by I8A4RE »

Ok so what turbo should i get. After reading through all the posts on turbo's and talkin with several ppl i think im going to go for t28bb but quite pricey or also been thrown around is the idea of td04.

1) Can some please tell me the difference in these as one is considerably cheaper.
2) What size inlets and outlets should i be going for?

Thanks Simon
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

the t28 has *~delightful!~* flanges anyway so it will cost EVEN MORE!
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

You got a manual mate?
if not do a manual conversion first :P (unless you can't drive manuals) you will love the turbo more :)
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Could look into getting Sams Gt-28 ..
http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... ic&t=12710
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

You got a manual mate?
if not do a manual conversion first (unless you can't drive manuals) you will love the turbo more
Ha ha no i have a tip. i used to love manauls but now the sh*t me to tears.
But can we please stay on topic please.
the t28 has *~delightful!~* flanges anyway so it will cost EVEN MORE
How so? show me pics if you can
Could look into getting Sams Gt-28 ..
Thanks for the link
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

hrmmm... you may be in luck sometime early next year mate...

If my power is really limited by the GT-28 60r turbo, then i'll be selling it... and probably a lot of the piping as well...

so stay tuned champ

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

td04l has round outlets... so you can just use a silicone coupler and a standard pipe... so you can buy premade pipes off ebay... or universal intercooler piping...

t28.... not so round... welder needs to make pipes for you = fabrication time... which = money
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

the t3/t4 hybrid is bigger than both, has round flanges... and is cheaper than the t28 but not cheaper than the td04...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Bigger doesn't mean its better, it takes longer to spoon up, which mean turbo lag. The T28/T3 Hybrid i've seen works well in a FTO before, it spoon up fast at 7-10psi, it also give the car a good torque figure from 2500rpm.

For any low PSI turbo application, i usually suggest a smaller intake side housing to spoon up faster and larger on the exhaust side for torque.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

I agree...

I think a typical T-28 Style'd turbo would be best for sub 10psi...

and we will know by the weekend what power they max out at...

but i was on full boost by 2,200rpm with mine... nothing like a nice responsive turbo...

Not to mention minimum PSI...

You wanna run 5psi to start with?? then maybe up to 7 with a decompression gasket?? (highly recomended :oops: )

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

You wanna run 5psi to start with?? then maybe up to 7 with a decompression gasket?? (highly recomended )
Yeah thats right sam 5-6 psi is where i wanna start with. Then once i have saved up for new engine with strengthened internals then ill pump her up to 8psi and see if she can take it :twisted:
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I agree with sam, 5 PSI to start will be safe, 7 Max without doing work to the engine..
I'd get decomp gasket anyway.. & since its not gonna be running massive power through it, you'd be better off getting a turbo that'll spool as quickly as poss rather than a massive thing with much lag..
barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

I8AFRE, if you want a tip turbo dont even bother with turboing your FTO trust me i did the reasearch not worth it, sell your FTO and spend abit more and import an EVO 7 GTA which is a tip and AWD :twisted:

Ive done a few mods to mine and they respond well, currently getting 180 kw at all four wheels.
[img]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r103/barfy76/barfycopy1.jpg[/img]
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

barfy wrote:I8AFRE, if you want a tip turbo dont even bother with turboing your FTO trust me i did the reasearch not worth it, sell your FTO and spend abit more and import an EVO 7 GTA which is a tip and AWD :twisted:

Ive done a few mods to mine and they respond well, currently getting 180 kw at all four wheels.

I think what simon wants is something you cant get from a factory car...

An FTO is that type of car... i think he's in love with it (like myself) and just wants a little more go, whilst at the same time making it something even more unique by having a rare turbo fto....

I8AFRE wrote:Theres just something about an FTO that flutters...

barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

Trust me sam i felt the sameway but in the end got frustrated with all the $ going into it with out the results appearing on the dyno...

In the end i fell for the EVO and havent looked back.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

I think what simon wants is something you cant get from a factory car...

An FTO is that type of car... i think he's in love with it (like myself) and just wants a little more go, whilst at the same time making it something even more unique by having a rare turbo fto....
Couldnt said it better myself. Yeah thanks barfy but id rather pay $30k and have turbo than spend on another car. I just think they are the most sexiest car (batman RX7 first equal) that i know about.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

mmm... hard to explain that emotion..

I have driven many cars (including Evos, The entire mazda range esp. 3mps and skylines, etc..) and nothing puts a smile on my face like the FTO...

Especially when a Riceline sits there next to you venting boost...

thinking he's playing with a standard FTO...

RRRRRAAAAAAAAAPPPPP TISHHHH!!!

the look on his face as he backs off.... absolutely golden...

or when myself and Adz get together... you just watch everyone try and line me up... then see my cooler... then move on to adz... and see his even bigger cooler...

then they just give up without a fight... lol..

I really want you to join the turbo club simon... but i just hope you know what you're getting into... lol...

time, money and stress...

barfy
Mechanic

Post by barfy »

I cant see why a skyline would back off just because your fto is turbo, i mean its still only FWD and getting whatever power your getting on those front wheels would cause torque steer. If i was in a skyline and saw a turbod FTO i would be confident of beating it quite easily...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah i used to work for Nissan. Always driving Gaylines, GTI-R, etc, etc. Not saying they aint bad cars just did nothing for me in my pants. Now im constantly erect :D .
If i was in a Big Ugly Soap Box Racer and saw a turbod FTO i would be confident of beating it quite easily...
Yeah then embarressed when you get beaten by the fto He He..

Na depends on too many variables but when u see a turbo FTO........ you go jesus... he must be packing :D
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

barfy wrote:I cant see why a Big Ugly Soap Box Racer would back off just because your fto is turbo, i mean its still only FWD and getting whatever power your getting on those front wheels would cause torque steer. If i was in a Big Ugly Soap Box Racer and saw a turbod FTO i would be confident of beating it quite easily...

Very true... I would have a go as well...

But so many ricelines, just want to race cars they know they'll beat...

and 99% of ricelines will own 99% of FTOs...

But then some ppl will still want to race anyway...

though about 75% of them will back off... Dont know why...

Commodores are another lot though... they'll try and race regardless... (stupid cubic inches mentality)

As far as torque steer, the FTO is still very manageable under boost...

hasnt caused me any issues yet...

wait till the weekend though