Toyota Aurion

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

payaya
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by payaya »

Bennoz wrote:For years now, the Japs have been trying to break into the Aussie big car market - and until they get it through their thick skulls that big Aussies family sedans must be available in V8 and RWD, then they will never sell much. Mitsubishi 380, Toyota Avalon, Nissan Maxima, all prime failed examples. Bogans dont like technology like turbo, keep it simple & uneconomic.
Dont think its as basic as that. Loyalty goes a long way in australia, everyone loves their Holdens. When the BA Falcon came out, it was rated a generation ahead of the Commodore and still the commodore sold more. Commodore had the crap ecotec, crap 4 speed and crap suspension and they still sold more than every other car!

So if Ford had a platform which was the benchmark, bigger brand loyalty, and spanking the competitiors in reviews why wasnt it the highest selling car?

Our market is tiny compared to the rest of the world. Most Jap cars built here are exported anyway so you cant look at australias sales figures alone.

Give you an example how small our market is. If say Holden exported 30000 cars to the US in a year you would think thats a great number right? There are over 10000 GM dealerships in the USA alone. That would mean every dealership will have a allocation of 3 per year. Its stuff all isnt it?

Mitsubishi is not alone. Holdens new engine plant building the 3.6L is sacked heaps of people due to low productions. Ford is going to be building the Focus because large car sales have been so low.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Whatever the reasoning may be (and I dont disagree with what you said) Australians just dont buy big jap family sedans.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

The Camry does well which is an Aurion anyway!

Its all to do with a Holden. Aussies love their Holdens, just like the Americans and their trucks.
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

payaya wrote:Its all to do with a Holden. Aussies love their Holdens, just like the Americans and their trucks.
So you're saying that if they slapped Holden badges on a Camry, it'd be COTY material?

I don't think so; they've tried that. Not disagreeing with most of what you said, but Bennoz is right in that until the Japs offer a RWD V8 variant, they can't compete.

It goes back to the whole mindset - win on sunday, sell on monday. And the Camry doesn't win on sunday.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

nicholas wrote:
payaya wrote:Its all to do with a Holden. Aussies love their Holdens, just like the Americans and their trucks.
So you're saying that if they slapped Holden badges on a Camry, it'd be COTY material?

I don't think so; they've tried that. Not disagreeing with most of what you said, but Bennoz is right in that until the Japs offer a RWD V8 variant, they can't compete.

It goes back to the whole mindset - win on sunday, sell on monday. And the Camry doesn't win on sunday.
What does COTY have to do with bank loyalty? COTY is not judged by everyday australians. Im saying Aussies love their Holdens, so much so they wont even look at another car of same class, eg Toyota RWD V8. Think about it, most people dont give a rats arse what is under the metal, if it looks ok drives ok then its good enough. Why else would the commodore, be so successful in selling crap cars for so long?

Another example would be Camry V 380, why does the Camry sell so much better when the 380 is the better car? Brand loyalty! Think about the new Barina, its a rebadged Daewo and Daewo are not selling anywhere near as many! The new VE Commodore is a great car it won COTY would I get one? No I like my Fords.
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Okay COTY was a bad example, but the point remains - i'm trying to say that it isn't all about brand loyalty.

Australians like Holdens and Fords for reasons. Now, perhaps that has built up over time into brand loyalty, but that is only because Holden / Ford keep giving the Australian public what they want.

What do the Australian public want (historically, the trend is diminishing)? They want large, comfortable, cheap cars that are powerful (often V8 ) and can be used to tow the boat / the caravan / the box trailer to the tip (prefer RWD) etc.

So there is no point you saying:
payaya wrote:Aussies love their Holdens, so much so they wont even look at another car of same class, eg Toyota RWD V8.
because it hasn't happened and if it does, you might be surprised at how many cars Toyota might sell.

I agree with you that some part of buying decision is loyalty / sentimentality / whatever you call it, but it isn't the only reason why people choose the cars they do. There are many reasons why people choose Holden / Ford over the Aurion, not least of which is the V8/RWD combination.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

totally agreed! I've grown up with a lot of people and prob 80% have a Holden or did have a Holden.
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Moving totally off topic, but...

My mate has an HD Holden in mint condition, and it's fan-f*cking-tastic.

I love the old cars; I want one!