Turbo Motor...

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Demogorgon
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Turbo Motor...

Post by Demogorgon »

How hard is it to put a Galant VR4 G63B Turbo half cut in to GPX???
Last edited by Demogorgon on Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Re: G63B Turbo

Post by GPXXX »

Demogorgon wrote:How hard is it to put a Galant VR4 G63B Turbo half cut in to GPX???
my guess would be extremely difficult, because the gearbox for the G63B VR4 motor is mounted on the driver side, whereas the FTO's gearbox is mounted on the passenger side, which means you will have issues adapting the gearbox to the driveshafts / engine mounts etc...

on a side note, i believe this motor is also used by the Eclipse as seen on TFATF...
Demogorgon

Post by Demogorgon »

So if i wanted i new motor for my GPX what am i looking for? I like turbo motor...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

6A13, as danny & at least one other had already done this in Oz
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

92 vr4 galant 6a12tt or
96/97 vr4 galant 6a13tt
Demogorgon

Post by Demogorgon »

92 vr4 galant 6a12tt or 96/97 vr4 galant 6a13tt

So the motors can be droped in with out much work????

What prices am i looking at for the motors..
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Demogorgon wrote:92 vr4 galant 6a12tt So the motors can be droped in with out much work????
It's a straight fit nevertheless, but you will encounter some minor issues like modifications required to the exhaust manifolds to make it fit and custom engine mounts for the 6A13TT to sit lower so that there is enough clearance for the bonnet to close properly (with the cam cover on)...

In the case of the 6A12TT, i think there will be even more complications because judging by the photo below, the motor appears to be mounted on the passenger side (similar to the inline G63B), so i suppose there will be engine and gearbox mounting issues...

Last edited by GPXXX on Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

if you got change from 10k i'd be very happy and still happy if you got change from 15k.

a huge amount of work has to go into this sort of transplant and there is no point in paying a huge amount of money to put in a stock 6a13tt, you should (whilst the engine is out) do all the work that can be done to it that is cheap to do before its offered to the car rather than have it pulled out in 12-18months time to upgrade internals and such.
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

i think that the 6A13 is the best option

currently the 6A13 motors are still difficult to find and expensive but i am sure they will start to drop over the next couple of years and become more readily available

if you are happy with about 300ATW Hp you could use the stock 6A13 motor with stock turbos.
you would require after market computer or piggyback computer, custom exhaust manifolds and 3" exhaust, intercooler and plumbing, relocate battery to boot and upgrade fuel pump, and upgraded clutch.

Run this all on 14Lb boost and you should go close to 300 Hp

( get solid engine mounts that lower the motor by about 10mm ) the lowered engine mounts i havent investigated properly but from a quick look it looks possible but it not essential to do.

I am having problems because i am going for more than 300 ATW Hp