Practicality of DVD player with motorised screen

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

funkysmurf
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Practicality of DVD player with motorised screen

Post by funkysmurf »

Hi all,

I've got my car booked in for an audio install this Tuesday. I've got everything sorted except the head unit.

I thought about adding a bit of bling with an Alpine IVA-D310E. Seeing as how it's a touch screen enabled device I'd want the screen to be up most of the time.

1) I was wondering if this will mean that the air-con controls will be hard or impossible to reach? I can't seem to find the exact dimensions of the unit from bottom to top when opened. Would installing it in the bottom 'slot' solve this issue?

2) My suspension is pretty hard. Would the bumpy ride affect this unit in terms of skipping and such? Mind you the basic cd player that's in there right now hasn't skipped once.

Thanks.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

No skipping the unit would be sweet. In regards to a/c moveing to the bottom would help slightly but still would cover a little nothing worth worring about. But if you can afford just get double dinn dvd player
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

yeh i personally dont like the flip screens just because of the way that they stick out and because they cover the A/C control.

If and when i come to getting a new head unit i will definately get a double din screen

not only will it fit perfectly in the gap provided but it will also mean that the A/C is accesible
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I had an Apline flip screen in my exFTO, i doubt that you will play with your air-con more then the control of your audio/visual. Plus there is a button on all Alpine screen where you can tilt it downward around 45 degree (not your angle button), so you can access your air-con control and when you finish just press the button again and its back to the memory angle.

You can also make it sit forward a bit as your memory position, so you can just touch the buttons on the air-con without tilting it.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
SILVERFISH
VIC Coordinator

Post by SILVERFISH »

1) most motorised screens will have a tilt button on them
that will tilt the screen forward 45 degrees for 30 seconds
allowing you to adjust your aircon, then automatically go back

2) you won't need to worry about skipping unless you buy
one for those sh!t no-name brands... and even then you
probably won't have much issue with it

if you're getting a single DIN motorised screen, i HIGHLY recommend
getting a single DIN centre speaker to go with it.
you've got the space for it... may as well use it

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/ ... ine&tp=108

alpine & clarion both make one, but there's als a generic cheap brand
that do one for less than $100
[url=http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13989][img]http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/8793/ftoclick6gx5.png[/img][/url]
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

when i had my flip out screen in the bottom din, it actually pressed the air con button (the dial, which u press to turn it on_ everytime i opened it up lol

now i've moved it to the top din, its fine, of course the problem with that is it completely covers the air con controls, but it did that when it was in the bottom din anyway. just have to pres the tilt button :)

double din fixed screen is a much better idea :)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

S1LVERFISH wrote:if you're getting a single DIN motorised screen, i HIGHLY recommend
getting a single DIN centre speaker to go with it.
you've got the space for it... may as well use it

alpine & clarion both make one, but there's als a generic cheap brand
that do one for less than $100
I agree on that, i've got centre speaker in my daily car at the moment and as long as you got proper EQ and AMP, it does makes a huge different.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
SILVERFISH
VIC Coordinator

Post by SILVERFISH »

don't suppose you've got it booked at Doran?

http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/for ... pic=537048

small world aint it? ;)
[url=http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13989][img]http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/8793/ftoclick6gx5.png[/img][/url]
funkysmurf
Apprentice

Post by funkysmurf »

Hahah. Yes I do :)

I guess when you consider that less than 29% of the planet is covered by land mass...then yeah it is pretty small :lol: