6x9's

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

harry90
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by harry90 »

All sound is based on opinion...as is the type of sound coming out of those speakers. If one person thinks something sounds good, that is their opinion. My opinion is.....UAI RESULTS TOMORROW :? 8O :oops: :cry: :( :?: :?:
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
boarsai
Mechanic

Post by boarsai »

heh :) Lets all just have a beer, well I'll have a vodka because I'm a skirt like that. :oops: But chill guys - like it's been said a bit here, it's personal opinion.

Had no intention of posting to get at anyone or to provide ammo. Be more drunken... and happy ;)

Having said all that I have already... I'd probably wack the majority of my money on front speakers first then back speakers. I'd have both if possible but it all depends on money. If budget is tight... nice fronts is what I'd consider to be the way to go.

My car sounds arite atm with just the fronts and splits with two 10's... but if I had money to *burn* I'd definitely be wacking some in the rear. Problem is I'm not sure I'd be able to with the customised sub mounting.

Sound deadening seems great too... helps not piss the neighbours off late at night when you drive home :lol:

For most people even what I have is massively excessive... so hehe it's all a matter of perspective really.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Haha

TCGPX i mostly agreed with you and thought that you did well to explain your points this was not a go at you, it was mr charisma who i was calling an IDIOT for calling 6X9 "fill". and i stand by that. Make a statement like that be prepared to be critised. You have all critised me and thats fine im not crying, me big boy. :cry:

Of course quality matters 8O mr charisma, it doesnt matter what you buy whether its undies or car stereo's you get what you pay for
TCGPX wrote:I8AFRE wrote:
But im through with arguing with people who try and pass opinions off as facts.

The best sound systems consists of rear speakers (6x9), front speakers (splits with crossovers), a amp or two and a sub(s)

This is the biggest contradiction I've heard!

THIS IS YOUR OPINION YOUR TRYING TO PASS OF AS FACT!

Car audio is not an exact science. It never will be cos everyone has a different opinion on what they like the sound of.
Maybe, maybe not, i diddnt do well to explain my point as i was in a rush yesterday and without going into a long winded explanation all i say, is you talk to any audio person who has had extensive experience in the CAR audio indusrty they will say to get the best sound, your system should consist of all the things i said previously for a more uniformed, clear and crisp sound........ That is not my opinion but the opinions of many experts that i know personally and trust.

Mr Charisma i dont shop at autobarn for stereo equipment :D
BOARSAI wrote: heh Lets all just have a beer, well I'll have a vodka because I'm a skirt like that. But chill guys - like it's been said a bit here, it's personal opinion.
I agree lets just kiss and make up ;)
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

*tries not to join in on the I8AFRE baiting...* :)

I've got a couple of baby subs in the boot so they don't take up much space, and some decent Kenwoods up front. Smallish amp, and got the crossovers set just right - beautiful. Unplugged my 6x9's ages ago and just left them.

As most people have said - comes down to what you like the sound of. Screw everyone else, I'm going to be listening to it, so why shouldn't it be set up how I like it?

Also what type of music are you going to be listening to... Death Metal or Cyndi Lauper... gunna make a bit of a difference.

Listen to a few different set ups, experiment, and find what you like.
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Grue wrote:*tries not to join in on the I8AFRE baiting...* :)

I've got a couple of baby subs in the boot so they don't take up much space, and some decent Kenwoods up front. Smallish amp, and got the crossovers set just right - beautiful. Unplugged my 6x9's ages ago and just left them.

As most people have said - comes down to what you like the sound of. Screw everyone else, I'm going to be listening to it, so why shouldn't it be set up how I like it?

Also what type of music are you going to be listening to... Death Metal or Cyndi Lauper... gunna make a bit of a difference.

Listen to a few different set ups, experiment, and find what you like.

Bahahaha

I do agree with that

By the way, how long have you been into Cyndi lauper for? :lol:
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

I8AFRE wrote:I agree lets just kiss and make up ;)
Awww Group hug? :lol:

All cool :D

I don't like getting narcy, but I don't like being called an idiot more.

Still think it's a little bit harsh sticking by calling Mr Charisma an idiot, to me that's a term reserved for the guys you see cruising around with nothing but distortion cranking out of their cars...
The sound of speakers being tortured like that makes me sad :cry:

Some people don't like to hear much sound coming from behind them at all.

Again, it comes down to personal preference.

That's why we have the fader control ;)
Grue wrote:Screw everyone else, I'm going to be listening to it, so why shouldn't it be set up how I like it?
Love it :lol:
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1613/sigpic2se2.jpg[/img]
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I'm perfectly open to criticism .. I can take whatever criticism you've got .. unfortunately, the argument "Go ask any Professional Sound System Installer & they'll tell you" just doesn't cut it as far as I'm concerned..

I have no intention of turning this thread into an episode of Jerry Springer either, but seeing as I8AFRE has opted to turn it into a slanging match rather than backing up his POV with some facts and having some semblance of a real debate..

To I8AFRE this is what I have to say;

Start from the beginning & read the whole thread, cause you've taken 1 or 2 of the points I've made, stuck your fingers in your ears & sat there goin' "lalalalalalala ... not listening" ..

I still stick by my statement that 6x9's are not the best speakers for the rear - again, this is just my opinion .. well, actually - maybe not just my opinion ... ask any car audio installer, they'll tell you ;) :lol:

I have heard enough systems with 6x9's in the rear to know that they just don't do it for me..
I at least gave my reasoning as to why I think this, and backed it up with some facts

I had to go back & read your comments in case I missed one where you didn't just say "nuh uh! 6x9's are better!!! you're a stoopy head!" :P

I didn't.

If you're gonna post, give us some facts that back up your opinions.. even if you have to head on over to the forums at www.mobileelectronics.com.au & give those guys both sides of the argument & have them give their 'opinions' .. If you're right, you can print it out & come slap me in the face with it at the next meet..

For anyone interested - If you're looking for 'experts' they are the people to talk to..
I am sure you will find that they will agree that they're for "fill" for SQ 6x9's aren't the answer. But for SPL - go for it! The more the merrier!..

Interested to hear what you've got to say..
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Righto... Settle down kids...

Bottom line is you're both right...

FOR 6.5"s
- Higher Quality than 6x9s due to round shape producing a cleaner frequency

FOR 6x9s
- Fill the current hole in the shelf perfectly
- Rear stage is unimportant and as such a cheapo set of 6x9s will "do the job" just as well as 6.5's

SPL is not an arguement here... as true SPL has NO speakers bar a couple of subs...

High quality 6x9s are good if you have no subs... because they can move more air... however with less quality than a 6.5" round speaker (hence why 6.5s are always in the front)

All in all it doesnt matter... If you have a spare set of 6.5s chuck them in the back..

If not a cheapo set of 6x9s fill the hole perfectly..

If you have nothing, i recommend 6x9s as they are a straight swap...

With a properly setup system you shouldnt be able to tell the difference between the two..

I have had both SPL and SQ setups in my FTO... both with the same 6x9" rears... Which were under $90... If i had a spare set of 6.5s i wouldve used them instead...

because.....

IT DOESNT MATTER!!!!

easiest way to break it down is this...

(% equates to importance / % of budget)

SQ:
Headunit -15%
Front Speakers -35%
Front Amp - 15%
Sub - 15%
Sub Amp 15%
Rear Speakers - 5%

SPL:
Subs 45%
Sub Amp 45%
Head unit 5%
Front Speakers 2%
Front amp 1%
Rear Speakers 2%

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

FtoSam wrote: IT DOESNT MATTER!!!!
lol, +1

But if Simon wants to argue the issue I'm all for a bit of debate.. ;)
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

mr-charisma wrote:
FtoSam wrote: IT DOESNT MATTER!!!!
lol, +1

But if Simon wants to argue the issue I'm all for a bit of debate.. ;)
I LOVE YOU ALL :D