Turbo design area

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

What price are you willing to pay for your FTO Turbo Upgrade?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:49 pm

$4k
17%
$6k
33%
$8k
11%
$10k+
11%
Don't want one
28%

Total votes: 18

Blk-Jet
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Turbo design area

Post by Blk-Jet »

Just wanted to make a thread so that everyone can put there 2 cents in about different ideas for the turbo design we are about to begin.

I'll start off by putting down some info i've been gathering.

1. Last week I spoke to MT Performance down in Bulleen about header design.
Looking at the 6a12 engine setup there isn't much room as we all know! But, that's also a good thing. I've been told not only by this company but from a few guru's that the cast headers on the fto could stay there and act as turbo headers! This saves shite load of money and time having to design and fabricate a new one that would look the same anyhow. Obviously the re-use of the factory headers can only withstand a certain amount of temperature or boost. We are still only looking at 6psi initially as a 'stage one' upgrade and we hope to be able to keep temperatures down suficiently in order to keep the factory headers.

2. Turbo selection will be either the garrett t25 unit or the t28 320hp or 400hp units. I'm opting for the t28 320hp as this unit best matches the mivec 2.0ltr.

3. Computers supplied will be the Microtech mtx12 or lt8. I'll post some more info later on. We're also trying to get a price for the haltech unit i'm installing in my car atm. The main difference is price but it can do many more things including anit-lag controll, NOS switches, tacho, shift light controls etc etc. and also better tuning ability.

So come everyone, put in your 2 cents worth, ask questions about anything, even things you don't understand, abuse me if you want! etc but please feel free to add anything down.

Cheers
Black_FTOGPX
Mechanic

Post by Black_FTOGPX »

Question.

Will we need engineer’s certificates after this mod?

If so how much would that cost?
:?:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

could we get a group buy, and what would the cost be including installation ?? i thought we would be looking at 10+k for a turbo upgrade, but for the basics, maybe we could get by with less.
Speak to scracy on what he has in his car, he is very experianced with the 6a12 + turbo
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

In Victoria any mod that produces more than a 15% increase in horsepower will require an engineers certificate. :wink: will be meeting up with frank this sunday (weather permiting).
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

scracy wrote:In Victoria any mod that produces more than a 15% increase in horsepower will require an engineers certificate. :wink: will be meeting up with frank this sunday (weather permiting).
really? i so heaps of people with more than 15% more power none have a engineers certificate.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Go to vicroads and ask them they have a leaflet that runs thru a few dos and donts including fuel system modifications,it clearly states that any modification that provides an increase in horsepower in excess of 15% must be supplied with an engineers certificate! Many cars on the road do have a greater than 15% increase in horsepower but that does not mean that they are legal. If they get pulled up no 3 defects required instant cannary!
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

There's a lot of people out there with modifications which make their car illegal, but all too often they don't find out until they do an insurance claim and discover that the insurance company won't cover them, because the car is not street legal.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

And there are lots of ppl with no insurance on the Road too....... 8O
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

FTO338 wrote:And there are lots of ppl with no insurance on the Road too....... 8O
very true, and very stupid! :roll:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

well after having a brief inspection of scracy's setup, i have to tell you that it was way easier than i thought... I'm not sure if Scracy is happy for me to divulge on the details but all I will say is that there is no need for fancy exhaust manifolds and no fancy ECU required... You wanna know/learn more about the setup, then I guess you'll just have to rock up to our meets/cruises hehehe... ;)

Thanks for the tips Pete! You legend hehe...!! Can't wait to get mine done now, bahaha...!! :twisted:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

if you dont need anything fancy, what price range would you estimate for a similar system ?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.net/reviews/c ... rocket.htm

according to the setup above, it gives 200kw at the wheels... sounds a little' suss to me, esp when it's only running 8psi...

whaddya reckon folks?? :roll:
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

190kw at front wheels at 8psi and ct26 turbo! I dont think so tim! :wink: