Painting (not chroming) the interior surrounds of fr. lights

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Rusty12
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Painting (not chroming) the interior surrounds of fr. lights

Post by Rusty12 »

I know this was mentioned alittle while back, someone wanting to chrome the insides of the headlights (the black casing).

would normal Mitsubishi paint work?
Last edited by Rusty12 on Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markyboy
Apprentice

Inside of the lights

Post by markyboy »

Yeah itys actually quite east to do, im doing it the next time the car is in the bodyshop.Just take your full light off, heat it in an over at about 100 degrees for about 5-8 mins, peel the lense from the back piece, you may need to re-heat as the bonding agent cools and becomes hard again.Then have your lights painted.Put your lense on and re-heat and push tightly together--this will bond the two parts back together again.You will also need some silicon of your own as you wont have a totally water proof seal without adding your own silicon..Hope this helps....There are loads over here in the UK who have this done already.. :wink:
Rusty12
Grease Monkey

Post by Rusty12 »

Do you have any pics of FTO's with it done?

I think idea would look awesome. So there wouldn't be any trouble using the same Mitsubishi paint on the black plastic? I want the finish to be as close as possible (hi gloss) to the whole car.
Borya
Apprentice

Post by Borya »

Will the paint sustain the hot temperatures inside the light... Cos i though i read somewhere (maybe in another thread on this forum) that it can't be properly done... due to te heat... correct me if i'm wrong please. :?

If so, what type of paint will it be?

Thanx. :)
Rusty12
Grease Monkey

Post by Rusty12 »

^

THats exactly what I'd like to know.
Borya
Apprentice

Post by Borya »

Hmm. I saw some paint that was rated to 260C... and some that was rated to 500C... does anyone know if this paint will work... the 260C one said that you can use it on plastics...

Cos if i do get an fto, and do this, i don't want to stuff it up... :?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i suppose you could use brake caliper paint as well... afterall they are rated to handle heat from the disc rotors! good luck finding a matching color though'.... :roll:
Borya
Apprentice

Post by Borya »

hahaha. Well, that's why i want a white fto :D

Nah, i think painting it silver could be a bit better than matching it to the fto colour.