amp keeps blowing fuse

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

azza
jedwabna poszewka promocja

amp keeps blowing fuse

Post by azza »

hi all.. i was powering a 300W pioneer amp which i replaced today with a 400w amp, now when ever i connect the power the amp fuse is just blowing. No wires are touching and everything is connected properly. I replaced the fuse on the amp and i then connected the power again but this time at the battery end with the fuse.. and its still blowing.... is it possible that the fuse i have near the battery needs to be higher? (this fuse doesnt blow just the one on the amp its a 15a fuse) or any other suggestions to what it could be?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Sounds like your power lead to the amp is earthing somewhere....
ftokiwi
Apprentice

Post by ftokiwi »

fuses are there for one reason only- to protect your gear. it is never a good idea to go up fuse sizes. fuses are slow blow devices so the actual current it take to blow one far exceeds its rating. the fault my be internal but you have a short somewhere.
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

I'm confused as to which fuse is letting go. Is it the one on the power line right near your battery that goes to the amp or the fuse(s) that are actually on the amp itself?
RK1-WhiteKnight
Apprentice

Post by RK1-WhiteKnight »

How many subs are you connecting to the amp and how are they connected. It could be that the old amp could handle more current than the new one i.e. your running 2 ohms at the amp when it can only handle a max of 4 ohms
craigt
Apprentice

Post by craigt »

doesnt matter how many subs hes got at the moment as the way hes described whats happening is hes not even getting a chance to turn the head unit on.
this 400w amp you are using is it new or 2nd hand?
if its new take it back to where you got it and ask them to test it.
if its 2nd hand then theres a good chance it rooted anyway take it to a caraudio shop and get them to fire it up on their test bench. it may have a short to ground inside the amp somewere.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

:lol:

xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

LOL, i think his fixed that problem by now :lol:
craigt
Apprentice

Post by craigt »

didnt read how old the thread was..just tryin to get people interested in car audio again.
:(
if all else fails read the instructions....
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

You've even dragged back old members who don't even have an FTO any more 8)
craigt
Apprentice

Post by craigt »

gee wiz lets beat up on the new guy...lucky i know karate,kung fu and how to runn really fast...hiiii Ya! now run away with tail between legs...
if all else fails read the instructions....