Seeking suggestion for turbo gpx

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FtoSam
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by FtoSam »

akrutskikh wrote:Lol.. All i hear is that engines die out quickly if you use NOS.

never heard something similair about turbos?? im on my 3rd engine

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

engines can handle nos in moderation, and properly tuned in. if you go chuck a 150hp kit on a 1988 pulsar you'll get one 12-13 second pass with a fiery finish over the line.

why dont you do what MuMan has been crapping on about and buy an Evo engine to put in your car? that would be a lot easier than turboing an engine that's not meant to be turboed. And unique.

N/A cars have cams that arent designed for turbos anyway (i think high lift/ short duration as opposed to turbos- short lift/ long duration, correct me if i'm wrong).

You can get an evo engine for anywhere between $2000 and $8000, depending on what particular evo you buy from, plus theyre so much more tunable with a shitload more aftermarket availability.

I cant imagine that costing you more than $10g in total for a full completed conversion ready and running. :)
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Much the same as a 6a13tt Conversion... looked into it in detail and you're looking at a good $25k.... for a decent setup...

And my new engine has turbo spec cams whacked in it.... :D

tenji
Mechanic

Post by tenji »

hey sam do you know if the 6a13 motor bolts on to the stock fto box?
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

the 6a13tt does bolt onto the box... however it is favourable to get the AWD 6a13tt box in there and weld up the rear... it is geared differently and designed to work better with turbo... trust me... i wish i had one... the 1st gear is a fair bit longer as well as every other gear... FTO box will max to about 250 in 5th at 8,000rpm, the 6a13tt box is good for 275 at 7,000...

I would strongly suggest not going down this engine conversion path unless you have the $25k.... dont think you can do it for less... cause it will probably blow out... mine did... adams did... jeffs did....

if you budget $25k and spend $20k... then bonus... but i doubt it...

tenji
Mechanic

Post by tenji »

would a 4g63 be more cost effective then?

im just looking at my options.

as my evo project is drawing to a close.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Sam you didnt do an engine conversion (mivec to non mivec is hardly and engine conversion). Also Jeff and dannyboy were going for massive KW gains, jeff even did a tip to manual conversion.

So tenji you need to be more specific on what you want to achieve before estamating a price.

In theroy a 4G63 is going to be way more expensive than a 6A13
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

don't know why noone has bought Jeff's Turbo 6A13 yet.. :roll:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Personnally i think its a great buy. Only reason i havent is i have already spent sooo much on my kit and paint..... Plus i also want tip
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

if I hadn't already spent so much on mine, or I was in the market for an FTO I'd buy it..
..or ..I'm tempted to buy the Godfather's car - my god that one has some tasty mods!! Could swap all the aftermarket into my car & replace with my stock stuff & still probably sell that car for 10k.. 'tis a bargain..
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

mr-charisma wrote:if I hadn't already spent so much on mine, or I was in the market for an FTO I'd buy it..
..or ..I'm tempted to buy the Godfather's car - my god that one has some tasty mods!! Could swap all the aftermarket into my car & replace with my stock stuff & still probably sell that car for 10k.. 'tis a bargain..
Go halves with ya ill take tip box and head unit you can have the rest. then we will sell as stock :D
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

if you're serious i might be able to drum up the cash..
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yep, ive been considering it
Richy
Mechanic

Post by Richy »

if I hadn't already spent so much on mine, or I was in the market for an FTO I'd buy it..
me too...after spending so much on my car....just cant let go....but the $11k for Godfather's car...is so tempting....wonder why it is still not sold yet.. 8)
tenji
Mechanic

Post by tenji »

I8AFRE wrote:Sam you didnt do an engine conversion (mivec to non mivec is hardly and engine conversion). Also Jeff and dannyboy were going for massive KW gains, jeff even did a tip to manual conversion.

So tenji you need to be more specific on what you want to achieve before estamating a price.

In theroy a 4G63 is going to be way more expensive than a 6A13

well i would just do the transplant and leave everything stock as a rock.

just want it to run well as its an everyday car.

i will be getting an engineers certificate for it also so the engine transplant will stay with all the stock parts of the 6a13tt
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

mr-charisma wrote:if you're serious i might be able to drum up the cash..
Pm me if your serious, i got the cash laying round.
tenji wrote:well i would just do the transplant and leave everything stock as a rock.

just want it to run well as its an everyday car.

i will be getting an engineers certificate for it also so the engine transplant will stay with all the stock parts of the 6a13tt
Mate i think you could easily do it for under 10k, but you gotta realise it aint going to be this mad weapon. It will be faster than stock FTO of course :D . PM FTOEvolution he has a 6A13 in his. he lives in nz and aint on here a lot but if you pm him you should get a answer within a month or 2.
tenji
Mechanic

Post by tenji »

yeh not after a weapon if i wanted to maul most cars id just take the evo out.

thanks bud will pm him :)
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

hehe, is it an imaginary 'Ollie-style' EVO? :P
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Sorry to dig up a relatively old topic but it's relative to this forum so no point in making a new one. I've been heavily looking into forced induction for my gpx and weighing out every option including engine conversions (except 6a13's, extra 500cc's on a v6 = even shittier weight distribution IMO).

While I know honda's are the darkside of the force, but i'm not sure if anyones actually looked into what they've been doing with their high compressioned VTEC YO!!!!! engines. I've got a few friends with turbo VTEC YO!!!!!'s, none of which used a decompression gasket and all use standard comp which is around 10-11. One of the best honda tuners in aus, dynodave did my mates car and advised him that high compression and turbo being a bad mix is all a myth. The high compression gives the turbo excellent response and it's why turbo VTEC YO!!!!!'s are catching on fast and are so popular in the usa. There's also the POV crew in brisbane getting rediculous amounts of power using the high comp ratio.

I'm not sure if the "V" configuration screws around with things but as for the oil starvation that could maybe depend on the oil pressure. Honda's have a high oil pressure rate standard and when the oil feed lines get connected they actually use a restrictor on the line to get the pressure down, thus getting good oil flow.

I know this is been talked about heaps in the past but I haven't come across anything to do with the honda boys and their turbo setups.

Any thoughts? Cheers
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I don't know too much about Honda's, so I'd have to take that workshop's word on what they're doing with the turbo VTEC YO!!!!!'s.. Did they happen to mention what cars in particular they're doing it with? Obviously there are a hell of a lot of different engines & variations in the compression ratios, one might be 11.0:1 .. another might be 8.8:1 - depends what he classes as being 'high comp'..

Anyways as far as I know, it's all about how much an engine can handle.. you can put a turbo on a GPX, but if you can't run more than 5-6PSI or you'll blow something up.. might even be able to keep standard compression if you get tougher internals.. but IMO its not worth taking the chance (might as well put on a de-comp gasket..
Even with a de-compression gasket the comp in an FTO is still pretty high..)

I've always wondered why no one (to my knowledge) has been in to visit a Honda workshop when they're getting their turbo installs done.. might be a waste of time.. or they might be able to save you $$$ & let you know stuff that you never would have found out otherwise..either way it'd be worth while..

Maybe its just me.. but I find it hard to believe that there aren't more possible engine conversions than the few that have gotten regular mention.. maybe someone just needs to be a bit more creative .. I dunnno..

:roll: :?