Seeking suggestion for turbo gpx

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FtoSam
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by FtoSam »

Duno yet mate....

I dont think i'll take it down.... Its not designed for 0-100... ohterwise it wouldnt be FWD...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

eThix wrote:Yeah i was thinking of going turbo with my old fto, but i just sold it and got a s15.

Sam what times do you pull at the 1/4mile?
Depends on who's pushing :lol: jk
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

I8AFRE wrote:
eThix wrote:Yeah i was thinking of going turbo with my old fto, but i just sold it and got a s15.

Sam what times do you pull at the 1/4mile?
Depends on who's pushing :lol: jk

your an ass

hopefully be on the dyno tomorow

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Mines on the dyno today :D Initials runs saw raw tunes put down 160Kws :D
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

Bennoz wrote:Mines on the dyno today :D Initials runs saw raw tunes put down 160Kws :D
siffffff!!! what do u have in there atm?! you havent got anything new have u!
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Bennoz wrote:Mines on the dyno today :D Initials runs saw raw tunes put down 160Kws :D
WHAT THE f**k!!!!

Go ben!!! Thats a f**ken awesome result!! is it still N/A?

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

You mugs been living under a rock!? We've just wacked on a 100hp NOS kit!

Picking the car up Friday, will post some piccies up then.

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... 6&start=20
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

8O 8O 8O 8O 160kws 8O 8O 8O :cry: :cry: thats it my car is going back to the workshop to get some more mods :lol:

Welldone Ben supper job. so with some fine tuning you should et some more power out of it yet to :twisted:
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Advice for turbo'ing your fto....

jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

is that your block? lololol!
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

yep... could almost fit my fist in that hole... The conrod wanted to go for a walk down the road.... so he opened the side of the block and off he trotted...

The his other conrod mate decided he couldnt take the lonliness with only 4 buddies and snapped himself in half and exited through the other side...

WOOT!

akrutskikh
Apprentice

Post by akrutskikh »

So in another words, you cant turbo an FTO GPX and run good (10-12) PSI unless you can find a GR halfcut and spend extra 15k on turbo parts and labour ? I would spend 10k on halfcut and turbo max, so now having second thoughts about doing the car up. What if you do forge the internals and some engine work on mivec ? Still impossible ?
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

akrutskikh wrote:So in another words, you cant turbo an FTO GPX and run good (10-12) PSI unless you can find a GR halfcut and spend extra 15k on turbo parts and labour ? I would spend 10k on halfcut and turbo max, so now having second thoughts about doing the car up. What if you do forge the internals and some engine work on mivec ? Still impossible ?
Nothing is impossible man... But the MIVEC has a few inherent problems...

The main being it has oil feeders in the heads, which can starve the bottom end...
Not to mention being a complete BITCH to tune up... and the mivec becomes redundant anyway...

10psi may be achievable with a very good condition Engine with a decompression gasket and water/methanol injection...

But would need a few other things... Fuel system (RR FPR, Braided Lines (cause of heat), Fuel pump)

Anyway, dont forget i bought my turbo as a kit... i only paid $2k for all piping, IC, Turbo, Injectors, Up and Down Pipes, etc...

My end recomendation.... Dont turbo..... Cant stress that enough...I hate my car so much... could've had it looking Skitsoid with the amount i've spent on it...

mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

akrutskikh wrote:So in another words, you cant turbo an FTO GPX and run good (10-12) PSI unless you can find a GR halfcut and spend extra 15k on turbo parts and labour ? I would spend 10k on halfcut and turbo max, so now having second thoughts about doing the car up. What if you do forge the internals and some engine work on mivec ? Still impossible ?
It's not impossible ..

You can run about 5-6 PSI Maximum through an unforged GPX engine .. there have been a few people who have turbo'd their GPX, and as long as your happy with 5 or so PSI boost it should be alright..

The GR engines are not much better .. the reason you'd do a transplant, or turbo a GR instead is that they're easier to turbo.. the Mivec just introduces a few complications

You can always forge the internals to run huge boost.. but that would just about take up the whole of your budget on its own .. i think FTOSam forked out about 8-10k or more on forging his GR transplant engine.. so you'd probably have to budget 20-25k or more for the whole project..

Long story short .. FTO's are an awesome car, & I wouldn't trade mine for the world, but they're simply not designed to be massively powered turbo beasts..
If you want to go for it & spend the money by all means do it.. - the only thing hotter than an FTO is a Turbo FTO!

If you're looking for a massively high powered car without spending a fortune, as I said, you'd be better off getting a cheap turbo car and tune it up..

As much as I hate to admit it .. even if you forged the internals, put in a massive turbo & ran 20+ PSI of boost .. the FTO is still a Front Wheel Drive car..

Anyways, I suggest that you speak to FTOSam over msn or something to discuss it if he's up for it, and you haven't already been put off by the idea..
theres a few other things he can tell you about it other than how much it costs & the mechanical side of things .. like how it changes the way that it drives & such..
DaveO
Grease Monkey

Post by DaveO »

No bodies talking about the 6A13TT transplant. :idea:
That would have to be cost affective way to go?

DaveO
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Nobodies talking about it, cause its still a 25k job as well. Just ask jeff or dannyboy. Theres a whole 30 page thread on their conversions.

I seriously think that you noobies should read through all the turbo threads there is a wealth of information there that will help you decide whether its the right path you want to follow. But also keep this in mind....... the most important aspect is finding the right mechanic to do the work otherwise your budget will blow to 25k + easy.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
akrutskikh
Apprentice

Post by akrutskikh »

Thanks a lot for the help guys. The reason why i'm interested in a turbo FTO is mainly because theres basically none of them around, and I am interested in rare modified cars. FWD is not an issue for me, although if i spend around 15-20k on a project i would at least like to expect a gain in power, at least 50kw atw.

Another set of questions for you Sam - is your turbo FTO running smooth on 20psi, or do you experience a lot of problems with having to take the car from one mechanic to another ? What was the maximum power you were able to get out of it ?
Thanks in advance.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

On 6psi i saw 140kw... not really impressive... and that was with full fuel system etc...

My new engine is rated fairly highly but i have a small capacity turbo, so it will be getting an upgrade..

There is too many issues to list... Fuel is complicated... need to relocate all your lines away from the turbo and relocate your filter...

By far and away, best thing to do would be NOS.... Chat to ben about that... can be installed in a day for a couple thousand...

Much easier, cheaper, etc.... and still pull crazy results..

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yep, extra 60kws for 2 grand!

And yeah... the Mivec variable valve timing is specifially designed to give the Naturally Aspirated motor more power. Same as Honda's VTEC YO!!!!! & Toyota VVti systems. Any experienced engine builder will tell you its the first thing that gets toosed in the bin before forced induction.
akrutskikh
Apprentice

Post by akrutskikh »

Lol.. All i hear is that engines die out quickly if you use NOS.