Seeking suggestion for turbo gpx

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Jackal
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Seeking suggestion for turbo gpx

Post by Jackal »

I am thinking of turbo charging my gpx and would like to seek some advise.

what are the alternative turbo other than GT2860RS and GT2860R?
Any recommendation on where to get those turbo from? any particular sites?
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

ok from what i have gathered... the biggest problem with turboing a gpx is the mivec..... i would suggest getting an engine swap to a non mivec... or just buy a gr.... would probably cost you less in the long run...

i'm sure someone else will come up with more useful info than this later but in the mean time, it's something you really shoudl think about :)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

Whats the complication of mivec and turbo? Would it be better if i change a turbo car rather than changing an engine and turbo it?
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Jackal wrote:Would it be better if i change a turbo car
100%.

You can fill an engine upto the brim in top notch stuff but do you think you can ever beat a multi million dollar company (E.g. Nissan, Toyota etc) doing R&D on turbo'ing one of their engines and selling it turbocharged to a general market ?

For a dedicated race car, yeah...build your own. For a daily driver...it's much easer just swapping to a car with a turbo already. Much less hassles, more mod support, perhaps even warranty if you get something new/ish and you might even save money. Not cheaping rebuilding a 6a12 with forged internals for boost, adding an LSD for more traction, strengthening gearbox to handle torque, getting support systems like fuel system upgrade and computer, doing sussy to match the car's new power...i can go on.

That said, i think turbo mivec's run into the problem of oil starvation (due to oil squirters for the heads), difficulty in tuning boost for the low cam then high cam and the high cam playing havoc with the afr. Run low boost though, and i guess you won't have to worry too much about support mods etc etc.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Delvance wrote:
Jackal wrote:Would it be better if i change a turbo car
100%.

You can fill an engine upto the brim in top notch stuff but do you think you can ever beat a multi million dollar company (E.g. Nissan, Toyota etc) doing R&D on turbo'ing one of their engines and selling it turbocharged to a general market ?

For a dedicated race car, yeah...build your own. For a daily driver...it's much easer just swapping to a car with a turbo already. Much less hassles, more mod support, perhaps even warranty if you get something new/ish and you might even save money. Not cheaping rebuilding a 6a12 with forged internals for boost, adding an LSD for more traction, strengthening gearbox to handle torque, getting support systems like fuel system upgrade and computer, doing sussy to match the car's new power...i can go on.

That said, i think turbo mivec's run into the problem of oil starvation (due to oil squirters for the heads), difficulty in tuning boost for the low cam then high cam and the high cam playing havoc with the afr. Run low boost though, and i guess you won't have to worry too much about support mods etc etc.
Farkin spot on...

My original Turbo GPX engine failed... running only 5-6psi for a month and it died... Oil Starvation, plus N/A high compression was the cause of death...

Buy a silvia if you want a cheap turbo car...

Budget $13k to have your car running 5-7psi... And thats on a GR...

Also GPX are much much harder to tune... GR are easier...

Budget $23k+ for a decent Turbo Setup (forged, etc)

Things like ECU, fuel, clutch, controllers, intercooler, injectors, fuel lines, guages, etc etc make up a good majority of the cost...

and the GT-28-60 series of turbos are great... spool quickly and come on hard...

Im running the 60R for now, but will be looking at bigger when i can afford it...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

Damnit Sam answer your pms :P
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

Thanks for your advise guys..i really appreciate it. I didnt know mivec and turbo can be such complicated. I need a serious thought about putting the turbo on now.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

ooDles: Sorry mate.. sometimes i quickly check them at work and cant reply.... then i forget...

Jackal.. PM me with any questions... I have done it all before (Mivec N/A, Mivec on 6psi, GR on 6Psi, GR on 20psi)

jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

jackal if you want a turbo, give me $5k and 1 month!

no promises on reliability though
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

lol....

$5k would be used parts???

just the basics new:
$1500 - Turbo
$500 - Fuel system (basic)
$800 - Cheapo ECU
$500 - Tune
$2000 - Piping Fabrication
$1000 - New Exhaust
$300 Oil Lines
$400 - Crap Intercooler

Thats $7k right there... For a budget setup... with a lot of DIY...
And no decompression...

jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

nah sam it aint that hard to do it under 5

$250 - 2nd hand off WRX TD04L

$0 - Fuel system (not necessary for 4psi, fto only uses 60% of its fueling at full throttle, in its standard form) ive known of 3 cars that did not upgrade the fuel system when they ran low boost, redline, rpw article and markfto from the uk

$440 - greddy e-manage worked well on redlines and markftos
Link

$400 - Tune

$1200 - Custom Fabrication in Liverpool does a lot of work for the cars on Nissan silvia quoted me $1200 for piping
Link

$0 - New Exhaust not that necessary, you can do that later, stock turbo cars have tiny exhausts

$100 oil lines from the USA
Link

$130 - generic intercooler that will hold 4psi fine
Link

i come to a total of $2520 lol
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

okay... i was talking cheap without going crazy cheapo....

and i would highly recomend decompression gasket...

and dont forget labour....

and then the biggest expense.... the unexpected...

jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

hahah yeah i know what you mean... but in my opinion you dont need the best parts to run 4psi... your better off saving the money for the unexpected f**k ups and with the few grand you save you could get a nice water/methanol injection system installed for safety
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

Arn't you turboing urs jonowong?is urs a mivec or non mivecengine?how much habe you budgeted for your install?
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

$4000

mines a mivec... its on hold till i finish engine swap... which i havent been able to do cos the last 3months all have had rainy weekends
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

so your tuboing a mivec engine?this will be intresting if all goes well i may follow..
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

don't bother turboing your mivec if you want big power .. you'll be able to run 5 PSI max without forging the internals..

Better off getting a second cheapo turbo car to thrash around in IMO ..

Check the following links if you're still interested in it;

http://www.fto-ireland.com/downloads/turboftopart1.pdf
http://www.fto-ireland.com/downloads/turboftopart2.pdf
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

ive got a cheapo turbo car... lol
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

i've turbo'd a mivec... was *~dreamy~*.... stay n/a.... please... for the love of time and money....

lol

but yet there's still something about smoking twin turbo V8s and GTR's down the highway

eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Yeah i was thinking of going turbo with my old fto, but i just sold it and got a s15.

Sam what times do you pull at the 1/4mile?