Supercharger, what do you think on this design

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Supercharger, what do you think on this design

Post by I8A4RE »

http://www.rippmods.com/RIPP_Supercharg ... a_i4-1.htm

lookes like it would fit, ben your probably leading the way on this topic, waht do you think mate

Edit: im talking about the layout design and the type of supercharger im NOT talking about the kit
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

looks good .. wonder if it would work for an FTO?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yep, would work a treat. Seen one done on a Galant 6A12. Only thing that detered me was the 3K plus price tag on the Vortech blower.... the rest of the kit wont fit too, so you'd have to be fabricating.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yeah what the hell, why are they so expensive they are half the size of a turbo 8O
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Setup for that kit seems similar to a turbo install ... so would you be looking at a similar cost to a turbo conversion? 10k or more?

Would imagine that there would be more involved with hooking it up to the belts etc? I take it thats what the tube running across the front of the engine is for?
There doesn't seem like there would be enough room for it in an FTO Engine bay... but the blower should fit well enough if the battery moves to the boot..
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

mr-charisma wrote:Setup for that kit seems similar to a turbo install ... so would you be looking at a similar cost to a turbo conversion? 10k or more?

Would imagine that there would be more involved with hooking it up to the belts etc? I take it thats what the tube running across the front of the engine is for?
There doesn't seem like there would be enough room for it in an FTO Engine bay... but the blower should fit well enough if the battery moves to the boot..
yeah i aint talkin about the kit do a google for the supercharger they are bullshit expensive and its only half the size of the turbo

this setup wouldnt cost 6k to install, unless you were getting ripped. a lot less fabricating. Ben seems to recon it would fit and i do agree with him but you are right battery definitly too the boot as mine already is
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

yeah, i know what you mean ..
like Sam said, he got his kit for 2k or something & his install costs still landed somewhere in the 10-15k mark even before his Forging internals etc..

Couldn't imagine getting the SC kit to fit without a certain amount of fabrication.. to my way of thinking fabricating for a Supercharger might be a bit more involved than a turbo... more mechanical elements ... not just some piping to be made up..
then theres tuning, testing etc..

But anyways, not trying to pick anyone apart on it, just trying to get my head around a few things cause I wouldn't mind having one of these babies under my bonnet :D
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

BTW do you have any more info on this Rippmods place? Like whre are they based etc? None of the links are working..
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

mr-charisma wrote:yeah, i know what you mean ..
like Sam said, he got his kit for 2k or something & his install costs still landed somewhere in the 10-15k mark even before his Forging internals etc..
dont be sarcastic thats my job :lol: , im not going to get into a debate about sams install, but in saying that, sam did an engine conversion followed by replacing internals etc etc. secondly look at redlines, mivec24 and talk to jonowong and they will all tell you a turbo install doesnt need to cost that much.
Couldn't imagine getting the SC kit to fit without a certain amount of fabrication.. to my way of thinking fabricating for a Supercharger might be a bit more involved than a turbo... more mechanical elements... not just some piping to be made up..
of course theres going to be some fabrication, but you dont need to run an intercooler, there are no down and up pipes which is the most expensive part of a turbo install.
then theres tuning, testing etc..
that would be the same with turbo
But anyways, not trying to pick anyone apart on it, just trying to get my head around a few things cause I wouldn't mind having one of these babies under my bonnet :D
Oh we all do :D
Last edited by I8A4RE on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yeah ohio us
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

lol, you always gotta have the last word :P

But anyways, wouldn't mind figuring out the total costs involved in using this kit as a base for the install..

Ben, you might be able to help us out ..

Any idea how much it might cost for the fabrication work?
And how much for tuning etc?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

as ben said THIS super charger is too expensive, but if only we could find a replacement supercharger that we could setup like that, one that costs round 600-1000, now then we would be talking
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

The fabrication here wouldn't be too bad. It would be less than my plan with an Eaton blower. The biggest expense would be getting a drive shaft to fit (yes that long bar that runs along the front edge of the motor) or buying a standard length one & mounting the blower on ithe end of it to suit. The only thing that has to be spot on is the pulley lining up with the other pulleys. If you get that wrong you'll forever be snapping belts. From there all you need to do is fabricate piping from the blower exit to the TB. The blower intake piping can just be like a mock up CAI, plumb a pipe & air filter in where ever you like.

I dont know what computer you'd need for this setup. I dare say a piggyback would do the job as this type of Supercharging is called 'Upstream' supercharging. Upstream means the blower itself sits upstream of the TB & forces air into the TB. Kind of a softcock way to do it :P Well.... its a safer way to do it. It means all your intake runners, butterflys & control solenoids & sensors on the intake manifold stay the same - effectively retaining a pretty good driveability of the car, yet not producing as much potential horsepower.

My design is call 'downstream' supercharging. Ie the blower bolts straight onto the intake manifold & blows directly into the heads. My TB is then mounted on the intake side of the blower with the CAI & filter. There's more fabrication involved here & the intake is basically cut in half, all the restricitive bits in the manifold are essentially gutted out. Here I also eliminate a number of sensors & as such I need a more complex ECU to be able to finitely tune the setup. Its a loss in driveability, but would develope more power.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I8AFRE wrote:as ben said THIS super charger is too expensive, but if only we could find a replacement supercharger that we could setup like that, one that costs round 600-1000, now then we would be talking
Agreed - but check out prices on ebay for Vortech blowers... even second hand they fetch upto 2.5K.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yeah i know, i did, i was f^&ken blown away. i dont see why they are so expensive compared to a turbo. they are like triple the price compared to a turbo
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

V1 S Vortech going for $1000...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Vortech-supercha ... dZViewItem

Yes I have supercharger alerts emailed to me from ebay :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

After closer inspection it looks like i could even mount this at the side of the engine near the back where most ppl have the turbos and run the extension to the belts behing the engine, so that it comes out above the alternator. probably only have to move the brake lines.