need some advice

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

tenji
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

need some advice

Post by tenji »

well i may be getting a friends fto

just been thinking it needs an engine rebuild/swap.

it is a mivec gpx.

just thinking whats easier and costwise.

4g63T motor?

6a13 legnum motor?

or just another 6a12 mivec motor?

i dont really care if the car stays n/a but thought maybe if its not too much more i may aswell go the conversion.

what do you guys think?
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

I've done the 6a12 Mivec swap, 6a12 non-mivec turbo swap and my good mate has done the 6a13 swap...

Tell you right now... the cheapest by far is the straight std engine swap... cheaper in the league of $15k-$20k less

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I'd go for the 6A13 if you're staying NA. Ya cant beat cubes.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Bennoz wrote:I'd go for the 6A13 if you're staying NA. Ya cant beat cubes.
Legnum = 6a13tt

tenji
Mechanic

Post by tenji »

yeh the 6a13 is twin turbo.

hmm maybe ill just stick to rebuilding the stock mivec motor.

since its already a manual one also.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

again u newbs frustrate me with your speculation and lack of research!

6a13 NON-turbo fto

http://www.kempys.co.nz/ftovk.htm
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

There are 2 types of 6A13. Single overhead cam - non turbo, twin overhead cam - twin turbo. Otherwise known as 6A13tt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_6A1_engine
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

id be going 6a13 turbo or non turbo
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

arent the legnums only TT?

tenji
Mechanic

Post by tenji »

heres a question why would you go to a 2.5L SOHC? Wouldnt i be better of with a 2L dohc mIVEC? If it was a 2.5L DOHC then that would be better?

talking about n/a motors here.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Well, you got more displacement to begin with which means more torque (though not more power as the rpm's don't go high enough and the engine is not equipped with valve timing or lift).

Personally, i'd get the 6a12, you lose a bit of torque, get some power and get one kickarse sounding car when mivec comes in (long as you got an intake). And you can save on fuel haha.
tenji
Mechanic

Post by tenji »

Delvance wrote:Well, you got more displacement to begin with which means more torque (though not more power as the rpm's don't go high enough and the engine is not equipped with valve timing or lift).

Personally, i'd get the 6a12, you lose a bit of torque, get some power and get one kickarse sounding car when mivec comes in (long as you got an intake). And you can save on fuel haha.

well yeah thats what i thought yes the bigger displacement would be good but not if its an sohc.

think i will just stick with the 6a12 mivec and just forge it for reliablity reasons.

i already got a kick ass 4g63 so will keep the fto as stock as i can.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

tenji wrote:
Delvance wrote:Well, you got more displacement to begin with which means more torque (though not more power as the rpm's don't go high enough and the engine is not equipped with valve timing or lift).

well yeah thats what i thought yes the bigger displacement would be good but not if its an sohc.

think i will just stick with the 6a12 mivec and just forge it for reliablity reasons.

pulling the motor apart and putting forged pistons in is going to ruin reliability more than it will improve reliability in my opinion
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

jonowong wrote:
tenji wrote:

pulling the motor apart and putting forged pistons in is going to ruin reliability more than it will improve reliability in my opinion
agreed....

plus the cost of forgies.... ugh... i just finished forking out for a set... trust me... just get a low km engine or rebuild the current one back to OEM cond...

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Hows this for a NA project. Get hold of a 6A13 DOHC, get some billet cams, put the 6A12 Mivec profile grind on the 6A13 billets, deck the heads to bring up the compression to 11:1 & bolt back together... you'd have a real ball tearing 2.5L. Be a dog down low, but hey, who uses low rpm!

*robs bank*
tenji
Mechanic

Post by tenji »

would the 6a12 head bolt onto the 6a13 bottom end?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Why cant you just get a 6a13tt DOHC pull the turbo's off it get RPW headers, increase the compression if necessary (not sure what they run at with turbos on them). It would bolt straight in no dramas and still have DOHC AND extra .5ltr. Sell the turbos for a $300 or so.

PS Hate to break the news to ya but mivec is for little girls bahahaahaha
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I8AFRE wrote:Why cant you just get a 6a13tt DOHC pull the turbo's off it get RPW headers, increase the compression if necessary (not sure what they run at with turbos on them). It would bolt straight in no dramas and still have DOHC AND extra .5ltr. Sell the turbos for a $300 or so.

PS Hate to break the news to ya but mivec is for little girls bahahaahaha
Because turbo profiled cams dont work real well with no turbo... its a completely different profile, long duration lobes as opposed to high lift, short duration for NA.

And I dare say rpw 6A12 pipes wouldn't just bolt onto a 6A13 head either...

Agree with you on Mivec thou :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Bennoz wrote:
And I dare say rpw 6A12 pipes wouldn't just bolt onto a 6A13 head either...
Oh yeah i didnt think about that.
tenji
Mechanic

Post by tenji »

no point buying a mivec car for no mivec :P

also i already have a car that goes like the clappers so dont need another one.

Also how would strengthening the motor reduce reliability???