tyres

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Jono
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

tyres

Post by Jono »

Just wondering what good, bad experiences youve guys have had with your own testing of tyres.

Just a few weeks ago it was a wet patchy piece of corner(90' but gradual), and purposely understeered to see how itd go, wet at front(yokohama s360's, understeered, then hit dry patch so front regained grip, but back(silverstones ftz i think, with neg camber) lost it
cos the rears was on wet patch, i guess..... But it was soooo unexpected i did about 5 corections(fishys') at one point looking to my right was a telegraph pole 8O was a very traumatising moment 8O , hahah

my conclusion,

yokohama 360's 215 40 17, $240 a tyre i think
Good in dry, predictable in wet, and good value for money

Silverstones ftz 235 40 17, $186 a tyre
ok in dry, terible in wet, wouldnt know what to say about value cos safety is nice sometimes.

but yeah, whats your story?

jono
Last edited by Jono on Tue May 20, 2003 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

from what i heard about silverstone tyres, i would not put them on my car if it was for free! my safety/life is much important than that.. oh you wanna know what i heard? a friend got into an accident (not his fault) and his car ended up spinning a couple of times. he had silverstone tyres on and he basically found big chunks from his tyres missing! now thats a big worry dont you think??

ive had good experience with michelin mxf sport tyres personally... it is hard compund so it lasts long and it still manages to grip with the best of them. (they are asymmetrical in tread pattern)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i have Bridgestone Potenza G-IIIs on mine and they work like a dream for me.. Handling in the wet is very responsive, ample grip both in wet and dry - in fact, it's hard to get the wheels spinning in the wet unless i feed more than 2500rpm and side-stepping the clutch during launch... oh, and road noise is quite low as well. However they are $250 a pop - ouch!!
Last edited by GPXXX on Tue May 20, 2003 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Hey Mikey,
where did u get your Potenza G-IIIs? I'm shopping for new tyres for my stock 16" wheels and there's just so much to choose from. I don't race my FTO, but I still want good performance.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i bought my tyres from Donnellans at Box Hill (when i got my rims)... Not sure if my tyres come in 16" though'... Have a chat with the guys at Donnellans - top bunch of blokes... If you hardly race your car, there's no point getting ultra performance tyres because they wear out quicker so for your purpose I'd stick to maybe Falkens for everyday driving...
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

have any of you guys tried yokohama a539's?

jono
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

not on FTOs, but my mate had them fitted to his S13 Silvia and he's quite happy with it... he paid about $220 a pop for his 17" rims though', so it seems like good value...
Gazza311

Post by Gazza311 »

Whilst on the topic of tyres.... One of my rear tyres has a small leak in it. It's a Sime tyre, which I hadn't heard of until recently when I started hearing it be advertised on the radio as V8 Supercar tyre or something. Is it worth me getting a replacement tyre or should I just wait until I get new bigger rims and splurge on the tyres then? I really don't have a problem with filling up the leaky tyre twice a week (not that it needs it, just to make sure) but is doing that going to cause my current rims to have a problem later???

* DAN *
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

how long will it be until u get new rims? i suggest u get the new rims/bigger rims quickly so when they fit new tyres on them it's all good... you really shouldn't skimp on quality on tyres (budget permitting), and i think Sime is one of those nasty cheap tyres that don't last very long or perform well in various conditions...
Quattro
Apprentice

Post by Quattro »

Anyone heard anything about G Grid I and/or II's???? I hear GGridIs are still a good value for money tyre???
:twisted:
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I just a bought a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 - ended up finding them for $165 fitted and balanced - no complaints so far.

My toe-in on the front wheels was right out, so I got a wheel alignment also, the mechanic didn't have the FTO specs in the books, but he made an educated guess based on how front wheels drive cars shoudl be. It ended up being pretty accurate after I checked the owners manual.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts