Sams Phase 3: Getting Traction

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FtoSam
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Sams Phase 3: Getting Traction

Post by FtoSam »

Righto... as im just about finished my phase 2, i figure i better get organised phase 3...

Phase 3 will involve me getting enough traction to pull a 1.5 second 60ft time...
My last run involve a 2.4 second time... so its a significant differrence...

The way i plan to do this is:
1. Quaife LSD
2. Tein Custom Made Coilovers
3. Billet CV's (600hp+ rated)
4. pumped front guards
5. minimum 8 inch tyres up front
6. M/T Racing Slicks on 15"s with a set of cheese cutters on the rear...
7. Launch control boost system
8. Lots of practise....

Will keep you all updated on my progress...

If you have any sugestions, feel free to add them

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

And when you figure out how to launch it, tell me so I can launch mine!

Dont really think they had drag racing in mind when they designed FTOs..

My next outing to the track was going to involve:
Slicks / Semi Slicks (my rims are already 8" so I should be able to squeeze a 235 or 245 on it, may need to roll the gaurds thou)
Winding up the rear Tein dampers all the way (I forgot to do this last time) to stop the bog down & weight transfer off the front
LSD of some sort
Lightened flywheel (which is yet arrive from rpw)

Also in talks with my mechanic as to some way to disable to the nitrous in first gear.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

yeh... i want the LSD, forged CV's and Coilovers for track work anyway...

so its just the launch control and M/Ts that i need... could prob borrow a set of M/Ts if i buddy up to someone... lol...

And i'll be trying to get my nos to only engage in 3rd and 4th...

SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

1.5 60' 8O

the best 60' time i managed with my lsd and 235 street tryes was a 2.1... and it was consistent as well once i figured out how to launch it 8)

my money's on 11's if you could do a 1.5 60' and you have a few hundred HP in the FTO :)
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

my aim was low 12s...

organised to book in the fto on thursday for full power... and over the next couple of week, we will be doing some research on the NOS system..

i'd be happy with low 12s...

a set of M/T Drag slicks and forged CVs to handle the pressure should see a good 4,000rpm launch... which means i'll be taking off with a good 10psi behind me...

traction will be bountiful....

would like 120mph and a mid to low 12 sec pass....

thats the goal... want to at least get close...

Im estimating i need around 400hp to do this...

so if the boost wont do it then the NOS will

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

FTOSam wrote:The way i plan to do this is:
1. Quaife LSD
2. Tein Custom Made Coilovers
Why custom?? I thought tein make them for the FTO, what would you need to modify???
Bennoz wrote:Also in talks with my mechanic as to some way to disable to the nitrous in first gear.
Not trying to be a smartass, but isnt that the whole idea of having a dedicated button, so you can control exactly when i comes on????? :?
FTOSam wrote: forged CVs to handle the pressure should see a good 4,000rpm launch...
Will you not also have to strengthen the drive shafts cause if i remember correctly Dannyboyau was saying that his split into two, almost perfectly 8O. Again i think him and Jeff were looking at these but im not sure if he actually ever brought them or how the withstood the pressure
http://web.inetba.com/dss/item157404.ctlg
Hope that helps
Simon
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I8AFRE wrote:
Bennoz wrote:Also in talks with my mechanic as to some way to disable to the nitrous in first gear.
Not trying to be a smartass, but isnt that the whole idea of having a dedicated button, so you can control exactly when i comes on????? :?
Yeah.... and that button is under the throttle pedal. Try nailing it off a set of lights & try to keep the pedal at 90% down as opposed to completely floored so's not to hit the switch. It aint easy...
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

By Cv's i mean the whole shaft...

and as ben said, the NOS is actually hooked in to the foot pedal... when at what it shoots in the Nitrous...

Shouldnt be hard to wire in another inline switch to the dash or something...

And Coilovers are jap spec or something... and i've got an agreement with Fulcrum to build a set specifically for Australian FTOs...

Should see development start in a week or two..

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Just get a Jap Spec set & get Fulcrum to revalve them to Aus spec. Its what I did, not hard or expensive either.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

and as ben said, the NOS is actually hooked in to the foot pedal... when at what it shoots in the Nitrous...
I know that..... uh duh. Thats why im saying, would it not be better to have the switched on the steering wheel (FATF style) so that it can be controlled when you want it.
And Coilovers are jap spec or something... and i've got an agreement with Fulcrum to build a set specifically for Australian FTOs...
WTF, the FTO is a jap car. So the only difference is the roads. They are fully adjustable so what your saying makes no sense to me watso eva.
Bennoz wrote:Yeah.... and that button is under the throttle pedal. Try nailing it off a set of lights & try to keep the pedal at 90% down as opposed to completely floored so's not to hit the switch. It aint easy...
Sorry ben should of made myself more clear. I meant a switch on the steering wheel as appossed to one thats controlled by your foot
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

I can get my set for under $1500..... :money:

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

WTF, Tein coilovers (fully adjustable?) for under $1500..... are you serious, thats crazy talk :lol:
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

They are using mine as the test mule... Desiging the suspension to work with it, then marketing them... i just have to pay $1300-$1500 in costs, and they'll do the rest...

hehehehe...

had this organised since A.S last year...

Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

FtoSam wrote:I can get my set for under $1500..... :money:
I got mine from dstocks (swapped my gear worth $800 with his) & it cost me $400 to have them done :D
Sorry ben should of made myself more clear. I meant a switch on the steering wheel as appossed to one thats controlled by your foot
You've been watching too much Fast & Furious :lol: You really wanna be holding down a switch when ripping round corners on a track?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Well no not on a track but i thought we were talking 1/4 mile here
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

FtoSam wrote:They are using mine as the test mule... Desiging the suspension to work with it, then marketing them...
can you tell me the spring rates or are they keeping it a secret? :(

i know what my springs rates should be (for a FWD car) but want to know what they are doing in case they have the same plan, then i can sell my old set and get those. cos it's gonna cost between 500-1000 to respring and revalve my Tein SS :?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Bennoz wrote: My next outing to the track was going to involve:
Slicks / Semi Slicks (my rims are already 8" so I should be able to squeeze a 235 or 245 on it, may need to roll the gaurds thou)
at the D.I.Y. day Ben you can try my rims and tyres on your car to see how they fit, the only change would be the offset from your rims and my ones.
oh and profile I am running the 235/45/17s 17x 8's
and you are running 18's with a lower profile so they should be close to the same :roll:

And Sam it sounds like some good mods lets hope it works for you and you get the times you want :twisted:
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Here's a simple idea for your nos switch under pedal. Add more load under the pedal that starts to load at the same point where the throttle is just about to activate the switch... e.g. couple of small cut to size springs mounted next to the switch, so you feel resistance, and when you DO mean to switch nos, push down a bit more. True it's a bit ghetto though hehe.

Oh wait, that's too easy :P

Spring rates if revalved for australia i suspect will be somewhere around the 5 to 3 or maybe 5.5 and 3.5 front/rear. I had a set of type HA (one step short of full race model) jap spec and the spring rate was 8 front 6 rear, which ain't bad but the dampers were rock hard even on softest. The revalved dampers will be a lot softer too when they do the revalve/build. I must say, coilovers change the car dramatically but in my case, i found it didn't really help launches much as the fto is already quite and there's almost no weight in the back anyways (though no doubt it'd help on the strip when you're talking about chasing 12s).

Hey Bennoz, what type tein coilovers did you swap with Dwayne ?