FTO Insurance

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Lucian
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO Insurance

Post by Lucian »

Hey guys

I'm new to this site and i found it quite helpful but my eye didnt catch anything on insurance. I havent purchased an FTO as yet however im looking for a 97 Mivec 5 spd. Tiptronic. Im 25 with a rating 2, perfect driving record sofar......anyone have any ideas on how much im in for? if you do, can you let me know what insurance companies can cover FTO'
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I'm also 25 and I'm driving a 97 FTO GPX tiptronic. I'm paying $1350 per year with Just Car Insurance on rating 1 (with perfect driving record) but I know you can shop around for something a little cheaper. Just Car has an excellent rep though, so I recommend you go with them.

check out this site for more options
http://www.importdriver.com.au/insurance.htm
Chrisp
Apprentice

Post by Chrisp »

Also give Unique Car Insurance (in Box Hill, Vic) a try. I've dealt with them before and they seem pretty reasonable and their prices are usually better than Just Car.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

yeah Just Cars would be a good start... they'll insure anything for anyone who can afford it.

how old are you? any previous insurance/driving history? where do u keep the car? any mods?
FOULZ
Grease Monkey

Post by FOULZ »

if u ask me............ there all FUCKED UP!!!
not one of them will insure me for under$6000.
ive even got a $10,000 quote before.
but keep looking mate.

FOULZ :twisted:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

FOULZ wrote:if u ask me............ there all FUCKED UP!!!
not one of them will insure me for under$6000.
ive even got a $10,000 quote before.
but keep looking mate.

FOULZ :twisted:
WTF?? $10K???? seriously, how old are you and what is your insurance history like? Judging by the amount of mods that you've got on your ride, you can't expect cheap-as-chips premiums...
FOULZ
Grease Monkey

Post by FOULZ »

im 22, not a accedent 2 my name, and only 1 speeding ticket...
well, i guess thats what i get for doing so much work to my bitch.

FOULZ
Lucian

Post by Lucian »

Thanx for the info guys, i guess im looking around $1500, which isn't too bad considering the specs of the car.

PS: What is the fuel consumption of these beasts?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i average up to 460kms on full tank (gentle driving to & from work, with the occasional fang)
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

i average about 530 540 a tank... most canberra roads are 80 though,
also use optimax..

jono
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

i manage around 600km for the full tank, which is usually about 530-40ish when the fuel warning indicator comes on. i do a fair bit of fanging around as well. but i will get less than 500km if i redline it constantly (well you know what i mean).
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

well something's gotta be wrong with my fuel consumption then... how many liters are the fuel tanks on the FTO? coz when my needle is pointing at the E letter, i'm getting 52 litres as i fill up (optimax)...

or maybe i just don't realise that it's on redline all the time... LOL! :lol:
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

yeah i would say theres something wrong there for sure... our fuel tanks are 60L

get it cheked out and let us know what was wrong with it...

most stories ive heard are that FTOs get roughly 10km/L... so mine checks out ok with that theory.

you dont have a turbo charger hidden under there somewhere do ya :mrgreen:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

When the fuel warning light comes on, how many litres are left in the tank? i hate to pull over with an empty tank, so i'd rather not 'experiment' with the 10l/100km theory...
G1 wrote:you dont have a turbo charger hidden under there somewhere do ya :mrgreen:
LOL, i wish!! :lol: :roll:
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

The easiest way to find that out is to goto a servo as soon as the light comes on. fill her up. record how many L went in her. subtract that number from 60 and there you have your magic number :mrgreen:

but in any case, if you follow these steps you will work out your fuel consumption

1. Fill her up FULL
2. Reset your trip meter to 0 (this is the important bit!)
3. Drive til your fuel warning light comes on (or anytime before you reach empty but around the time when the warning comes on is a good time)
4. Fill her up FULL
5. Note down how many L went in her
6. Divide the km travelled by the number of L that went in her
7. You now have the number of km travelled for every Litre. (or divide it the other way around and multiply by 100 and you get a "L per 100km travelled" figure)
8. Repeat steps 2-7 as neccessary and work out your average.
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

a easier way to find cost efficiency is

1.Fill up tank to full
2.Reset odo
3.drive until you need to fill up again
4. Fill up full, and whatever you pay this time($50) for however many k's uve done on the odo, $50.... 520km's 520/50 ul get 10.4km's per dollar, the more the km's the easier uve been driving it.

jono
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

with your formula you need to be filling up at the same petrol price every time! :mrgreen:

there's a difference between fuel efficiency and cost efficiency but of course they are directly proportional, but cost efficiency goes down in proportion to the rising pertrol prices! but both go down directly in proportion to the heaviness of your foot! i hope a mathematician can tell me how to explain this properly! haha

in regards to insurance try
http://www.famousinsurance.com.au/
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

hehe yeah, in the end its coming out of your pocket whether u like it or not 8O hehe
Redboost
Apprentice

Insurance

Post by Redboost »

I've found Famous Car to be really competitive in their pricing when it comes to imports. They allow all mods that don't affect acceleration, without changes to your premium. If you install a turbo, they'll still insure you just expect a higher premium. They were cheaper than NRMA and Just Car by far. But on the downside, their excess is high - $1000 basic excess, plus $500 if you are involved in an accident and its your fault, or add $1000 if the car is stolen. But I've had no probs with them so far. Try them at www.famousinsurance.com.au
[/url]
"If you aren't remembered, then you never really existed"