GROUP BUY: CAI Kit and Air Box

FTO Club of Australia Group Buys. Want something cheap this is where to find it. The best deals for all our members

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

hnm738
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by hnm738 »

i have got an itg pod will that box contain the pod??
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

will make final decisions when pics are up :P
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

will the airbox fit over this?

smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

may have to lower that mounting bracket a little bit
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

after consultation with the styling department (the missus) I'd like to request that my kit come in BLUE... it'll contrast with the car nicely :D
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

mrdj1234 wrote:after consultation with the styling department (the missus) I'd like to request that my kit come in BLUE... it'll contrast with the car nicely :D
the airbox you can paint blue ;) the piping no worries

oh and i can probably even arrange for a blue POD :)
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

smorison wrote:the airbox you can paint blue ;) the piping no worries

oh and i can probably even arrange for a blue POD :)
LOL... i'll probably leave the airbox black... the missus nods rather enthusiastically at a blue pod.... apparently it'll "accessorise" well.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

How much louder are these mods going to make the car? I was already surprised by the UAS exhaust mod, that I hope I'm not gonna be in trouble with the EPA once the pod and CAI are installed.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

rxboy wrote:How much louder are these mods going to make the car? I was already surprised by the UAS exhaust mod, that I hope I'm not gonna be in trouble with the EPA once the pod and CAI are installed.
my car's still pretty "legal" with full exhaust work done...

it will make your car louder as it will help it breath better.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Finally i've got pictures

this is the airbox side wall

this is hte airbox lid

this is where the intake goes through the sidewall of the airbox

this is the adapter

this is the airbox almost completed.

DONE!!!! there is a small gap on the side but it has no real effect on the air temperature

notice the nice big hole for the snork??? i used 60mm piping here + redid my stock intake piping with 70 or 80mm (need to check this)... i now run airbox temperatures at ambient or within 1 Degree of it. In heavy traffic intake temperatures are hotter however they are around 25-30 degrees lower than engine bay temperatures (depending on ambient temp).

With the snorkles i was seeing airbox temperatures reduce to almost ambient after 1 minute. without the snorkle and redone intake piping it would take 5-10 minutes.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Lookin good!

Can't wait to get mine :D
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

A picture certainly is worth a 1,000 words! :P

So it's not so much an airbox, as in a complete sealed enclosure, as it is a heat shield with a top cover.

This makes more sense now, and has the added advantage that it does not limit the size of the air filter you use, as an enclosed air box would. So you could use an even bigger air filter with a greater surface area and let the car breathe even easier. :wink:
MIVEC is My Friend :D
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

These pictures have really helped make my decision. I'll take 2! :lol:

Actually I'll just take one...for now :twisted:
FUZION
Apprentice

Post by FUZION »

I'm up for the airbox and snorkle :P
already got the unifilter pod

So how do we order?
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

with this airbox installed, if i get pulled over by the cops, will they regard this as 'legal', or a defect??

since the pod is enclosed by the airbox or as Ruchi pointed out, they can argue that its just a heat shield with a top cover on (as there's no bottom nd not completely sealed, please. correct me if there is a bottom piece etc). anyways, i just want to confirm if this will be regarded by police as an airbox and therefore 'road legal' or is there still a chance that this can be defected by the police.

thanks
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

It will depends upon the policeman and how picky they want to be. No different to now really, as some will defect you for not having an airbox while others won't. :roll:

If all they do is glance at it, then they'll probably let you go. But if it catches their eye, because it looks a little unusual, and decide to inspect it, then it will come down to whether they've met their ticket quota or not.

If they decided to defect you, I think you'd have little comeback, and a hard time arguing that it is an airbox, as it is not a sealed enclosure.

So I guess the answer is that you will be no worse off than no air box at all, unless it attracts their attention, but ultimately it will be at the police officers discretion, so talk nicely to them and don't rub them up the wrong way :wink:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

smorison wrote:notice the nice big hole for the snork??? i used 60mm piping here
Yeah thats the first thing i did when i got mine FTO,& it does help in moving traffic.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

My main concern is whether or not the insurance company will see it as an illegal mod rather than the police. They will look for any excuse not to pay out.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Is the snorkle something you are selling or just something you are mentioning?

It sounds like you're just using flexible piping, sort of like ag-pipe, but without the drainage holes.

If your are selling it, how much?

If not, where did you get it from, what sort of $, and what did you use to attach it to the car? cable ties?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

The snorkle is part of the second option:
smorison wrote: The second option is to add a heat shield and snorkle:
Air Box and Snorkle

Air box - ABS plastic

Snorkle Flex Piping