GROUP BUY: CAI Kit and Air Box

FTO Club of Australia Group Buys. Want something cheap this is where to find it. The best deals for all our members

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

smorison
The Godfather
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by smorison »

yeah its the flex piping with metal through it...

can't remember the exact cost per meter but its all included in the kit.

ummm what did i do? well i installed 2 sections (cause i'm a sucker for cold air) ... both go through the plastic on the underside of the car (that create the airdamn around your radiator)

the replacement for the stock piping is fixed really well and no problems the snorkle i was in a hurry and haven't secure it yet. it does create a "lowish" spot underneath the car if you do it the way i did but it just means slowing down for speedbumps which i do anyways so its no drama.

btw my intake hits amibent temperature within 30-60seconds (depending on heat soak at the lights) so its all working really well.

i will be emailing everyone next week to confirm orders so please be ready guys.
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

if the snorkel is installed properly as instructions on manual??? will the snorkel pipe be lower than the front bar?

jono
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Jono wrote:if the snorkel is installed properly as instructions on manual??? will the snorkel pipe be lower than the front bar?

jono
my second one sort of is...

if you simply replace the existing pipework it isn't any lower...
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Given that your previous photos answered so many questions, have you got any pics of the snorkle(s)
MIVEC is My Friend :D
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

ummm i will get some :)
gf has the digital camera and i'm in malacoota this weekend to scope the place out and work out what we are doing there so it'll be next week
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Here's an e-mail I received from VicRoads in response to a few queries I had:
John Grasso from VicRoads wrote: Alex

I have been asked to reply to your emai regarding after- market air cleaners.

In cases where the vehicle is not subject to emission Australian Design Rules (ADRs), that is built before July 1976, there should not be any problem fitting an after-market air filter.

For later vehicles where emission ADRs do apply you should only fit a filter which will not adversely affect the exhaust emissions. The manufacturer or distributor of the filter should be able to provide this information at the point of sale.

With most later vehicles which have electronic engine control (Computers) the type of air filter should not have any noticeable effect on the emissions as these vehicles will have equipment including air flow and temperature sensors which should adjust the amount of fuel accordingly.

You should also consider the effects the filter will have on the vehicles overall noise requirements because it could be possible that the additional intake noise from an un-boxed filter may cause the vehicle to exceed the overall noise requirements.

Hope this helps

John Grasso
Vehicle Standards

Is there any information from the manufacturer of this Unifilter Pod included in this kit? Any effect on emissions?

And Steven, can you tell us how much noisier does the whole setup make the car run? Will it pass EPA noise restrictions?

I don't really need exact dB readings, just some kind of assurance that we won't be stopped by every cop out there :lol:
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Great stuff RXboy. Can you possibly go one step further and reply to their email with a question as to whether an after market air filter needs to have a) an enclosure or b) a mounting bracket.

If yes to an enclosure is this governed by any technicalities, such as it must be a sealed enclosure.

That would be great if you could do this.

In relation to the increase in noise, yes a better air filter will increase the noise level, as the engine is breathing easier and because the airbox also muffles sound. But the real factor when considering noise is the exhaust, hence the "muffler" is supposed to muffle the sound.

Personally, unless your exhaust is already noisey, I wouldn't worry about it. If you come to the cruise this weekend you can listen to a range of exhaust and air filter combos and their various noise levels. I have the standard exhaust and a larger than recommended K&N filter and will more than likely go for this kit, as it looks pretty good.

I think MADFTO (Eric) probably has one of the noisiest FTOs in VIC and from memory he passed the EPA test :P

The smarts of the FTO will automatically adjust for a different air filter, so a good brand air filter won't "adversely" affect the exhaust.
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

I have the noisest FTO when I'm giving it stick.

However, it is still fairly quiet where it matters. in the cruising range of RPM.

I didn't set out to have a loud exhaust, that wasn't the purpose, unfortunately, free flowing exhausts tend to be louder.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I did what you suggested Ruchi and here's the response:
John Grasso from VicRoads wrote: Alex

There is no specific requirement for an air cleaner to have an enclosure. An enclosure is normally fitted for a number of reasons, the main ones being to reduce intake noise and also to place the air cleaner in a suitable location and then have the actual air intake closer to the front of the vehicle via a tube/snorkel. For example the late model Falcons have the air cleaner enclosure in the lower left side of the engine compartment then a snorkel with the air intake just under the front end of the bonnet so it can draw cool air. If you fit an air cleaner without an enclosure and snorkel the engine will then be drawing air from wherever the air cleaner is located normally in the engine compartment which for some vehicles may be too hot.

Depending on the design generally you will need some sort of mounting bracket to hold the filter in place.

Hope this helps

John Grasso

So I guess there is no real requirement for an airbox other than to reduce noise levels and you cannot get defected simply for not having one. At least in Victoria. I'm not sure about other states.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

You're a legend rxboy, thanks for following that through. great stuff!

I can hear everyone in VIC with airfilter mods breath a sigh of relief! :P
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

Hi everyone, It's great that you could find out this information but I just thought I should warn you all not to take this as law and try an rely on it if a cop pulls you over. I know of freinds up here that have had mods ok'd by the Department of Transport with a letter to prove it only to be pulled over by a cop that gives them a defect anyway and says that the letter is not stating any law. This information is of course rediculously hard to get hold off. We have a pamhplet that is handed out up here about modifications, but all over it, even though it gives guidelines for mods it says that it is not the law and can not be used to backup any mod you might have done. So I'm sorry guys but please don't rest completely easy. :( :roll:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

For those asking about the noise increase from installing an airfilter/box, I wouldnt worry too much about it, because the tests should be done with 3/4 throttle or less, and the fto's only get loud with wide open throttle, it sounds normal any other time. well at least thats the case with mine
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

In another thread on this forum, someone who had been through the test pointed out that they did it at a certain rev-range which was below the Mivec rev range, which helps to keep the noise level down!
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

Well I've got a pod in my car atm and I only notice the noise difference once MIVEC kicks in. After that the thing starts whistling like mad man.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

yeah but try the same amount of revs, with your foot only half on the throttle, it will still just whistle
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

My understanding is that the noise test is done at a specified rev range, 4500rpm from memory (or around that figure). So it doesn't matter how loud it is with your foot flat to the board or when you're in the Mivec range, rather you need to hold your engines RPMs at 4500 while they do the test.

Awful nice of them to measure it before the Mivec kicks in! :P
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Currently, in Victoria, EPA runs the FTO at the standard 6 cylinder RPM mark, which is 3200.

There is no test entry in the book for FTOs.

This may differ from state to state, I'm not sure, I've heard NSW cars being tested at 4500 =)
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Well that's even nicer of them to do it that low. At 3200 rpm the FTO is down in the lower region of its power curve and wouldn't be generating much noise.

I guess they probably came to the 3200rpm figure based on "average" driving for the "average" 6cyl (Commodore & Falcon) cars, not FTOs which can redline MUCH higher.

It's not often that this happens, but here's one rule/law that works to our advantage.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

i thought it was based on your redline and it was like 2/3 or 3/4 throttle in nsw, mainly cause i rmemebr reading articles on how rotor fans were anyoed at the law because their cars would have to rev to 8-9k but be as quite as a commonwhore that would rev at 3-4k
SilentBobMk2
Apprentice

Post by SilentBobMk2 »

any updates on the progress?

SilentBob