FG Falcon XR6T first drive! 5.1 0-100!!!

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

payaya
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by payaya »

[quote="I'm still nt convinced that spending upwards of $50-60k on a late model car is better than spending 10k on an FTO and investing 50k into it for a Turbo + AWD install with forged internals & upgrading other running gear to "modernise" it.
Seriously .. pull your fkn head out!

Have you even taken a look at your FTO recently? Aside from the timeless exterior design, take notice next time of the interior - it's design is damn sexy IMO, has all the mod cons - climate control, power windows, sunroof (for some), electric mirrors, electric windows to name a few.. now go out to a car yard, pick any* car made in 1994/1995 & compare it to your FTO .. The FACT is, FTO's were ahead of their time & still are leaps & bounds ahead of other cars today..

Also, The fact that as a few of us has mentioned, that they would never buy the Falcon, or even refuse to 'drive' one doesn't really have anything to do with its "performance" specs - noone can deny the technical data - but purely the fact that Ford have as you said "poured all this money into it" & still only managed to churn out the same old crap with a bigger engine & "sports package" is truly pathetic IMO

I wish they would actually be creative & innovative and release a "sleeker" & "sexier" car, if only to improve the aerodynamics & shave another 0.1 seconds off their quarter mile..[/quote]

How can a 4 door sedan be sleek??????? 5 Series and C class are boring. Theres only so much you can do to a 4 door sedan! Sleek and sexy is reserved to 2 door coupes who screw what happens to the passengers if it looks nice then obviously the occupants need to come to a compromise!

The FTO is a good car, it looks good but hampered by its 2.0L. Put premium in a baseline Ford Falcon and it gets over 400NM of torque and does 100 kms using 10litres. Um the FG is a massive upgrade from the BF. The steering is all new and no one in the world has designed a system like it thats why its patented. Its perfect as they say. The turbo did 5.1 seconds with the AC on and extra passenger. If you believe its the same old crap for 40k then your standards are way out of line.

The FTO is a great car, but its not leaps and bounds over most cars today. It will need better emmiission which would mean the engine would have been modified in some way. If the current car was crash tested it probably would rank at the bottom. If NHV was put into the equation then it will be ranked near the bottom too. Refinement, safety, is a must. This adds to weight.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

if it's any consolation .. I'm sure that noone in any other countries are going to be comparing the cars made there, to Ford's or Holdens made here.. because nobody cares ..
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

mr-charisma wrote:if it's any consolation .. I'm sure that noone in any other countries are going to be comparing the cars made there, to Ford's or Holdens made here.. because nobody cares ..
can you tell us what cars you have owned or dirven for more than 2 weeks on end?
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

mr-charisma wrote:if it's any consolation .. I'm sure that noone in any other countries are going to be comparing the cars made there, to Ford's or Holdens made here.. because nobody cares ..
http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/Fir ... bo/232547/
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I have had one on loan for the last 2 weeks and I took it for a twisty spin yesterday whihc goes for about 20km. I caught up with my porsche club guys and gave it a go against the 911s and it went pretty good actually. They all we impressed given its cost....
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Latest review in wheels gives the FPV F6 a massive wrap. Saying only two other engines can match it in effortless pulling one was the AMG 6.2L and the other was the twin turbo flat 6 from Porsche.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

khunjeng wrote:I have had one on loan for the last 2 weeks and I took it for a twisty spin yesterday whihc goes for about 20km. I caught up with my porsche club guys and gave it a go against the 911s and it went pretty good actually. They all we impressed given its cost....
Hammer the damn thing in a straight line will beat most of them in a straight line, except if they were 300K+ Porches.
quain
Apprentice

Post by quain »

have to agree with payaya on this.

the old holden/ford can't handle for sh*t is just that... old news
not sure which magazine it was in where they compared the hsv r8, typhoon, normall ss and xr6 turbo and the ute version against evo x and new sti on winton... the result?

evo x came first, followed by the r8 then the sti and their time difference was only like 0.2 seconds...

the utes were only 1.5 sec off.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

quain wrote:have to agree with payaya on this.

the old holden/ford can't handle for sh*t is just that... old news
not sure which magazine it was in where they compared the hsv r8, typhoon, normall ss and xr6 turbo and the ute version against evo x and new sti on winton... the result?

evo x came first, followed by the r8 then the sti and their time difference was only like 0.2 seconds...

the utes were only 1.5 sec off.
the utes in my experience are a handful coming out for the corners due to traction only...and they tend to weigh a bit more these days.
Nacho
Oldtimer

Post by Nacho »

Why would they compare the XR6T to a vehicle not sold here? Pointless. Its a 4 door large sedan so they have compared it to the best of the best which is the euros. Is your going to look at raw perofrmance figures then the FPV F6 does 80-120 in 2.7 seconds which quicker than most cars out there. I doubt not many Jap cars can do that bar a GTR35.
I think this would come close though if not better according to what I'm reading. Just came across this since I've just bought one of these babies.

http://350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?s ... entry38812
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

Nacho wrote:
Why would they compare the XR6T to a vehicle not sold here? Pointless. Its a 4 door large sedan so they have compared it to the best of the best which is the euros. Is your going to look at raw perofrmance figures then the FPV F6 does 80-120 in 2.7 seconds which quicker than most cars out there. I doubt not many Jap cars can do that bar a GTR35.
I think this would come close though if not better according to what I'm reading. Just came across this since I've just bought one of these babies.

hey man,

I think the Z (older spec) does the qmile in like 14.2 sec as my mate had one new and we took it down to calder a few times stock. However the newer models have a bit more power...

I'm still tossing up between the Z and the S2000 as the Wife wants one of the two, I think the S200 is in frnt at this stage for her.

Take me for a ride!
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Sif zed...V35 :P
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

khunjeng wrote:
Nacho wrote:

hey man,

I think the Z (older spec) does the qmile in like 14.2 sec as my mate had one new and we took it down to calder a few times stock. However the newer models have a bit more power...

I'm still tossing up between the Z and the S2000 as the Wife wants one of the two, I think the S200 is in frnt at this stage for her.

Take me for a ride!
personally, i'll get the Z. im more of a honda boy but dont Z has the edge over s2k.
da_msta_chizz
Grease Monkey

Post by da_msta_chizz »

My mate has an older (Mark 2) XR6T ute.
CAPA flash tuner retuned slightly leaner and 12psi, exhaust, K&N POD filter, reworked turbo piping (standard pipes mean that the intercooler doesn't do anything), Greddy intercooler, lowered springs + strut bars, Bridgestone RE001 front and back, and an XR8 bonnet (serves a purpose - is for the better pipes which would get crushed by the standard bonnet).

It's absolutely insane.
if you guys think the XR6T handles like crap, you must have semi-slicks and a stripped out interior & CF everywhere on your FTO. and an evo engine. and 4wd.
[img]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m389/damstachizz/sunkills.jpg[/img]
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

khunjeng wrote: hey man,

Take me for a ride!
The 350z does it in about 14.4. My closest race i've ever had at the drags was between me and a Z it ended with him in front by 0.001 because he stuffed up the launch... the whole race was him pulling away when i was out of mivec and me pulling back when i was in mivec.. which is weird cos he had more torque

forget the Z get awd on your fto so you can get off the line like it does :)
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

zuihoujueding wrote:
khunjeng wrote:
Nacho wrote:

Depends, they're both quite close but you also gotta consider generation differences but if you compare the two from same years, yeah pretty close. The s2k will be slightly quicker on a tight technical course if you squeeze it dry though.
hey man,

Take me for a ride!
personally, i'll get the Z. im more of a honda boy but dont Z has the edge over s2k.
the_msta_chizz,
It's a ute... Granted the current gen utes apparently handle well...the older stuff...ungh. I had a mate that had a vz ss ute, after $4500 of sussy mods, it handled quite well but still not upto an FTO with just a set of tein coilovers.

My previous car had slight weight reduction, rear sway, front strut, buddyclub coilovers and street semis and that handled just ok...not heaps good to me. We all have different standards *shrugs*

My mate has an 02 wrx with cucso zero2 coilovers, cusco front and rear strut, cusco underbody bracing, Cusco front and rear sway, Volk RE30's shod with 235/17 bridgestone RE55S. That handles INSANE once the tires warm up properly. Talk about tire roar though =/ And he hasn't even done weight reduction yet.

A Z or V35 with slight mods becomes quite quick, and there are a fair few turbo kits for the vq35 and even some supercharger kits. With just some breathing mods, Z/v35 can get into high 13's though harder with the V35 (more weight).