can't get steering wheel out

Got a problem with your FTO? ask about it here

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

birdbrain
jedwabna poszewka promocja

can't get steering wheel out

Post by birdbrain »

Hi, I don't know if you can't help me, I am trying to take steering wheel out to change my switch indicator, I already undo the nut, but I can't pull the wheel out. Do I need to undo anything else ??

I got the combo with the rear wiper, but my car doesn't have rear wiper is it a problem . Can I put the combo with rear wiper on while my car doesn't have one ??

regards
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

to pull your steering wheel off you need to undo the bolt but not completely off otherwise the steering wheel will hit you in the face. You need to yank on it f^&ken hard with a sort of left then right motion. Its a tough cookie you need a lot of strengh. If that doesnt work get a crow bar. Most mechanic's have a sterring wheel puller but if your strong enough you should be able to do it yourself.

Hope that helps
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

scarecrow
Veteran Mechanic

Post by scarecrow »

I dont know how big Jono is, but as its been said, make sure you leave the centre nut screwed on slightly! It takes a big pull, from your average person, to get the wheel loose and you don't want to knock yourself out ;)
[img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~viper39/carbw.jpg[/img]
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

^^^ All of the above. If still having trouble, don't be afraid to start beating the **** out of it. That's what mine needed in the end!
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
Richy
Mechanic

Post by Richy »

u dont need to pull it...just bang the shxt out of it from both sides....that will loosen the wheel, then simply take it out.. :D
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

There's technique to it, I simply lean my seat all the way back, grab the wheel at 3 & 9, take up the strain with a reasonable pulling force, then lean left to right on the wheel. It'll let go :)
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

scarecrow wrote:I dont know how big Jono is, but as its been said, make sure you leave the centre nut screwed on slightly! It takes a big pull, from your average person, to get the wheel loose and you don't want to knock yourself out ;)
im massive... 120kg of raw lean muscle...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

jonowong wrote:
scarecrow wrote:I dont know how big Jono is, but as its been said, make sure you leave the centre nut screwed on slightly! It takes a big pull, from your average person, to get the wheel loose and you don't want to knock yourself out ;)
:bs:
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

ok fine... im 58kg

so if i can pull it out... anyone can :lol:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

:lol:

Thats about the weight of beer I drank Saturday night!
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: what more can I say to that :lol:
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

when i changed over my steering wheel i had the same problem.

i gave up and took the easy option of getting a mechanic to pull it off.

i even tried using a mallet to hit it and everything but it wouldn't budge. :lol:
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

or you can just get a pully from any auto shop that takes them off :D
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Just give it a good bash with a mallet they can be really solid but i'm too big and managed to pull it off
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Richy
Mechanic

Post by Richy »

yeah...when i first did mine....i thought what the fxxk..

then saw a guide...all i needed to do was bang it hard from both sides...it becomes loose and i could simply slide it out..
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

jonowong wrote:
Or develop arms like mine (see fhoto galery) and then the whell comes out in one tug :)
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

how about tugs during happy hour at home?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

AMACHA wrote:
jonowong wrote:
Or develop arms like mine (see fhoto galery) and then the whell comes out in one tug :)
He gets arms like that from tugging on his cow horn 8O :lol:
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

I8A4RE wrote:
AMACHA wrote:
jonowong wrote:
He gets arms like that from tugging on his cow horn 8O :lol:
lmfao dirty k#nt :lol: