Lead sheets

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mr-charisma
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by mr-charisma »

I've just sound deadened almost my entire car with Dynamat, floorpan, firewall side walls, rear seats rear quarter panels.. I'm still yet to do the boot, doors & roof though, but I've done a hell of a lot of research on the topic ..
& I can tell you if you're going to be putting it inside your rear quarter panels, it will make a big difference at first .. I especially like the bassy thump when you tap on the rear panel from the outside :P

However, with Dynamat by itself, it's only going to amplify the noise back into the cabin, especially if you leave the service holes of the rear panels uncovered, so all the noise in the rear wheel arches is going to create an echo back there..

To get total sound deadening, you're going to have to fill the panels with something .. I got a whole bunch of offcut foam from Clark Rubber & packed it into the rear quarter panels as densely as I could (inside pillow cases) & the results after this are much better..

I think you will get better results from using an expanding foam in the rear panels rather than using lead sheets ..
It's also cheaper, you can pick up a can of it from BUnnings or Home Hardware for as little as $8 .. I recommend for you not to get the 3x expanding stuff, you will get better results with 2x expanding foam if you can find it, its a lot denser. - Ask for "Space Invader" brand - apparently its the best stuff for use in cars.

LIke I8A4RE said, rattling is caused by the vibration between panels .. Dynamat will lessen the vibration of the metal panels .. but you need to stop them from moving altogether .. that's where the expanding foam comes in .. it will adhere to the inner & outer skin of the car & when it dries, it sets hard & especially when you have subs, the foam holds the panels in place. The way it works is when the inner or outer skin tries to push outwards with the the expanding foam pulls against it & so on .. It also acts as an accoustic barrier, because you have an added wall of sound insulation.

THe down side - is that its not really possible to remove the stuff. So make sure you get a good quality brand that doesn't deteriorate over time, or when exposed to moisture.

If you're looking for that bit of extra sound deadening for inside the cabin & you can't be bothered going to the lengths of Dynamatting *everything* like i did (I literally have done 'everything' including inside the dash)

You should be able to pick up some carpet underlay, not the springy foam stuff, but the stuff made up of all the strands of fibre, it has a proper name, but I can't remember right now .. go to a carpet store & ask for some cheapo / freebie stuff if they have it laying around..

Also, you can't just stop at the interior of your car to stop the rattles, even with the entire interior of my car out, most of the rattles come from outisde the car .. next on my list if, sound deadening the outside of wheel arches, any external plastic panels / bumpers & the rest of the mechanical knocks..
So far Ive spent about $700-800 to get rid of them.. but would be more like $500-600 if I'd gotten the Dynamat on ebay from the start - it's about $245 for a BIG Bulk Pack. CHEAP AS!
ftoohh
Apprentice

Post by ftoohh »

ive got mine pretty sussed, just used test cd to find the frequencies as mentioned earlier. Its not always rattles, or vibration, sometimes its reverbaration as well. my rear quarters and bootlid were flexing, which at different volumes changed where the "rattles" came from. as the boot "flexed " out, it increased in volume altering the resonant frequency. was a bit of a nightmare to fix, and the fix didnt last.
if you want it deadened, spend the money, dynamat, and expanding foam used together.
or *cough* get the rockwool people to pump your guards and crevices FULL. costs a bit..... but sh%t does it work :)

agreed no cars are designed for subs in the boot, but on the flip side not many mid sized jap cars are DESIGNED to run 10-11 sec 1/4 miles either. if you want a result, you sacrifice in different areas, be it having a heavier car with a sound system, or a car with no interior or creature comforts that runs every weekend at the drags
www.zerolimits.co.nz
check us out
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

ftoohh wrote:agreed no cars are designed for subs in the boot, but on the flip side not many mid sized jap cars are DESIGNED to run 10-11 sec 1/4 miles either. if you want a result, you sacrifice in different areas, be it having a heavier car with a sound system, or a car with no interior or creature comforts that runs every weekend at the drags
Dude i think you missed my point, the only reason i said no cars are made for subs is becasue nicolas said the FTO wasnt made for subs. i was merely pointing out the fact that NO cars are. I was NOT stating "dont put subs in your car casue its not made for it". All cars can be adapted and modified to suit whateva purpose you want.

Understand.....yes?
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Yeah man, but he does make a good point - people can do whatever the hell they want with their cars... it's just that I wouldn't :lol:
ftoohh
Apprentice

Post by ftoohh »

yeah. i got what you were saying, but my point was adaptation. sure its not made for subs... so adapt it to work properly for the purpose, just like someone would do if they were trying to get more speed out of it
www.zerolimits.co.nz
check us out
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

nicholas wrote:Yeah man, but he does make a good point - people can do whatever the hell they want with their cars... it's just that I wouldn't :lol:
pretty sure the title of this thread wasnt "should i put subs in my car" :lol:

Ftoohh AGREED
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

I8A4RE wrote:pretty sure the title of this thread wasnt "should i put subs in my car"
Oh. In that case... HELL NO!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

nicholas wrote:
I8A4RE wrote:pretty sure the title of this thread wasnt "should i put subs in my car"
Oh. In that case... HELL NO!
WASNT WASNT WASNT WASNT.......W.A.S N.O.T :lol:
RK1-WhiteKnight
Apprentice

Post by RK1-WhiteKnight »

I'm gonna wait until the spoilers taken off then decide what to do
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

RK1-WhiteKnight wrote:I'm gonna wait until the spoilers taken off then decide what to do
mate i think that apart from everyones BS we ALL agree that lead is not the way to. Check out sams dynamat group buy