Lead sheets

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

RK1-WhiteKnight
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Lead sheets

Post by RK1-WhiteKnight »

Anyone ever worked with lead sheets? A mate of mines been demolishing a hospital and managed to score some lead sheets from the x-ray room for me to use as sound deadening but I've never worked with it before.

My theory is to cut some thin rubber mats up to fit against the panels, cut them into strips big enough to fit through the holes and use them as a template to cut up the lead sheets

The lead seems pretty malleable so bending it to the shape of the car shouldn't be a problem but I'm not sure how to cut it safely, I know its poisonous so am a little apprehensive

After its cut I want to use some Ados F2 to stick it to the rubber then the rubber onto the panels

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

what about the fact that is one of the heaviest metals you could possible get :lol:
RK1-WhiteKnight
Apprentice

jonowong wrote:what about the fact that is one of the heaviest metals you could possible get :lol:
Yep :D If the panels still rattle after I put this stuff on I'll be hella pissed
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

RK1-WhiteKnight wrote:
jonowong wrote:what about the fact that is one of the heaviest metals you could possible get :lol:
Yep :D If the panels still rattle after I put this stuff on I'll be hella pissed
should i suggest that u use something else? like the dynomat thingos or the Jcar alternative.

dude if your panels still rattle after using these, unless you are running some SERIOUS sound gear, there's somethign wrong with the welding on the panels.

lead... it's going to weigh the car down so much, it's like adding a permament fat friend in the car...
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
FTOnick
Grease Monkey

Post by FTOnick »

Because lead is so dense wouldn't it carry sound better? Dynamat is good
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

TOO HEAVY. but at least your car will be bullet proof 8O
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Use the dynamat dude but at least with lead even superman couldnt see you shagging in there :lol:
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
RK1-WhiteKnight
Apprentice

Its been Dynamatted and still rattles. Its only 3 mm thick and will only add 10-15 kgs because I'm only doing the area around the boot. If I just used dynamat it would cost 100s to stop the rattles, compared to 20 bucks for rubber matts
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

Where exactly are the rattles coming from the spoiler? or whole boot.......
I suppose the lead may work but have not known it to be done before however for cutting it i dont know how to do safely probably just wear mask and goggles etc
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

if it's still rattling in the boot... check if it's the spoiler and check if any of the welding has been cracked - that could be why it's still rettling.

as for cutting it, mask, goggles and gloves, cut it by hand, tin snips if you can, if not a hack saw (basically the idea is to make as less lead airborn as possible, so u dont breath it and you dot get it on everything). try doing it outside in the yard or something. and once you are done playing with lead, wash your hands before you eat... :D
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
RK1-WhiteKnight
Apprentice

It most definitely is the spoiler as well so its being removed once I find a cheap panel beater. Sorry for the crappy pics and ms paint job :D but here's whats happening (as I'm sure most of you know ;) )

Basically this is where the sounds going...

The sound going straight ahead is hitting this panel

And the sound then goes back into the cabin where it hits these panels on its way

The black squares are where I'm thinking of putting the lead, they've already got Dynamat on the inside and outside panels and although its working in some areas it isn't
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Work out what is rattling then just jam some friggan clothes and sh*t in it. Seriously. Rattle is a vibration of two items rubbing on each other, so fix that problem solved. If youy cant tell already im so against the led idea :lol:
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

I8A4RE wrote:Work out what is rattling then just jam some friggan clothes and sh*t in it. Seriously. Rattle is a vibration of two items rubbing on each other, so fix that problem solved. If youy cant tell already im so against the led idea
Hell, I'm just against the idea of huge stereos in FTOs at all.

You've gotta understand, these cars just weren't designed to have two huge subs in the back moving masses of air... you're gonna get vibrations.

Sure, you can shove a heap of junk into all the cracks and crevices to stop things vibrating, but then what will your finished product be?

An underpowered, sh*t heavy, front wheel drive car, with a huge sound system that drives like a bus... so why not save yourself the hassle and just buy a hot-4s spec civic?
RK1-WhiteKnight
Apprentice

I'm an audio geek at heart :lol: . If the insurance/warranty people would've let me I'd have spent the money on the engine instead of the sound system and new mags I just bought 8). Lets face it there not exactly fast cars, if you wanted a fast car you'd have brought a supra/skyline/evo but they can beat the a-holes in the Levin's/Silly-cars/every other want to be car out there :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

nicholas wrote:
I8A4RE wrote:Work out what is rattling then just jam some friggan clothes and sh*t in it. Seriously. Rattle is a vibration of two items rubbing on each other, so fix that problem solved. If youy cant tell already im so against the led idea
Hell, I'm just against the idea of huge stereos in FTOs at all.

You've gotta understand, these cars just weren't designed to have two huge subs in the back moving masses of air... you're gonna get vibrations.

Sure, you can shove a heap of junk into all the cracks and crevices to stop things vibrating, but then what will your finished product be?
NO cars are built for subs and ALL CARS will get rattles from having subs pounding in them. Im not a huge fan of subs either but shoving some cloth/ rags into metal joints etc is hardly gonna weigh the car down :roll:
An underpowered, sh*t heavy, front wheel drive car, with a huge sound system that drives like a bus... so why not save yourself the hassle and just buy a hot-4s spec civic?
Civics a FWD too and not huge in the power stakes without a lot of coin
[/quote]
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

I8A4RE wrote:Civics a FWD too and not huge in the power stakes without a lot of coin
Simon ya douche, that's what I'm saying! Lol.

Nah mate, if you like the audio gear, good luck to ya, all I'm saying is that it isn't the car's fault it rattles, it just plain wasn't meant for this :D
ftokiwi
Apprentice

Post by ftokiwi »

test and isolate- the only way to go. the other thing you could do is grab a test cd, work out what frequencies are giving you problems and use your crossover or an eq to drop those fq's back. all your doing is adding mass to change the resonant frequency of the panel. there are products that will absorb sound aswell as add mass. you could try those.
ftokiwi
Apprentice

Post by ftokiwi »

just realised your in nz. where are you? know a guy who is doing a load of work for me at a very good price. happy to refer :D
Grue
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

ftokiwi wrote:just realised your in nz. where are you? know a guy who is doing a load of work for me at a very good price. happy to refer :D
Hmmm.... what you getting done?
If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
ftokiwi
Apprentice

Post by ftokiwi »

Grue wrote: Hmmm.... what you getting done?
paint n panel work......

passenger side front panel removed, sanded back and repainted (bad cracking in the paint work) remove rear wing, bog up and paint and 2 very small rust bubbles removed/ painted etc. the guy has just relocated to tauranga. was hoping to get the work done this weekend but he hasnt opened his shop yet.

back o.t

a guy here in auckland put lead through his car for sound deadening. while ive not spoken to him in a while id be happy to put you in touch.