General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Jono
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Air filters

Post by Jono »

i thought there was a post on this , but i cant find it
here are two tests on common filters, interesting is the filtration on the first site.

http://www.geocities.com/mikegoodies3/i ... ntest.html

and

http://www.ftooc.org/contents/pages/project/filter.htm

just wondering if anyones used Rush pods or unifilter pods??

Jono
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Yeah i've got the Rush O2 pod!! U do feel the different!
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

The first page says that HKS are the worst, and they can't understand why they sell so well.

You have to remember that conditions in Australia differ greatly from conditions in Japan. Yes the HKS doesn't filter as well as the other ones tested, but then again it has the greatest airflow.

You will see a big difference for filters designed for offroad/rally use compared to road use.

So I guess once again everything is a trade-off ( just for the record I use a K&N on my GR).

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

I have a rush 02 pod on mine at the moment, i took off the hose and everything and clamped it straight onto the engine, more response, but i dunno about overall power, feels similar.. i dont have a cold air intake though, so i lose a bit of potential power thro hot air....

i use to have a HKS green, theyre good, but it ended up being really dirty and wanted to experiment something new... so Rush 02

jono
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i got an Apex'i pod filter on mine... makes a very slight whistle as it sucks air if you stab on the throttle in 3rd at low speeds... kinda like a turbo spooling up in a way... I thought it's suppose to have a throaty induction roar or something?? or is it just the way it was designed??

there is an air filter comparo on the 'net for the FTO, can't remember which site but they said the HKS has the greatest airflow... been thinking about them but they're very expensive though!
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

its wierd cos my whistles when i put light throttle more than full throttle... in all gears... and when my car is warming up, it sounds like a airconditioner....... hmmmmmmm

the first post has the link for the review from FTO club UK

jono
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

well i had the Trust filter that fit into the org air box, it makes a bit of different, but not much. Then I found the Rush 02 for $120 so i put that on instead, from there on i also put a custom heat bracket, & cold air intake. Mate i tell u, did that makes a different,every little bit helps, especially when u having a long drive!
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

does anyone have any ideas what mine is??

i think it could be a blitz since the filter looks like fine stainless steel material. then again i compared it to the ones from blitz web site and the ones from those reviews and doesnt quite seem to match.

does someone else make metal filters now?

mine also makes some sucking noise on light throttle, but not like a whistle... its a deeper sound but thanks to the muffler i can hardly hear it.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

that looks like a Blitz SUS filter to me... then again, you get many copied designs by ABC brands these days... does it have any emblems engraved or stickers? Authentic Jap items usually have a badge or sticker of some sort...
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

yeah couldnt really find one.. then again i cant really look into the centre part of it coz of the angle its mounted at...
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

see the screw on hose clamp and mounting bracket next to it? Undo those and you can remove the filter to have a look...
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

hey mike i think i need more specific STEP-BY-STEP instructions on how to take it off man! :roll:

i couldnt be bothered taking it off actually :mrgreen:, i thought i would ask just on the off chance that one of you guys have seen this exact one before... i guess not.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

well if we told you it's a Blitz SUS pod filter, will that rock your boat? just pretend that it is so everyone is happy eh? :wink:
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

well considering it was the second poorest at filtering(according to that review anyway), then maybe not! but it kinda looks and sounds cool :mrgreen:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

in that case, just get some HKS / Apexi / K&N stickers and whack 'em onto the filter - bob's your uncle! Instant HKS!! :lol: :lol:
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

I eat enough rice already.. dont need any more on my car! :mrgreen:
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

any of you guys seen the filter made by Uni filter? www.unifilter.com.au its 165 and currently making air induction would like your thoughts... :twisted:
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

any of you guys seen the filter made by Uni filter? www.uniflow.com.au its 165 and currently making air induction would like your thoughts... :twisted: sorry try this site www.uniflow.com.au
Boney
Apprentice

K& N 57i Kit

Post by Boney »

does anyone have, or tried the K&N 57i Kit for the FTO?
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

hey g1, its prolly one of those samota or something airfilters...

jono