GTO or S15?

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Sugar
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Sugar »

its not far fetched at all

it happens

happened to me
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

woah unlucky there mate, can i ask what insurance company were you with?
Sugar
Mechanic

Post by Sugar »

just car , car was under my dads name,
it was a prelude, my own stupid fault in the rain went into back of sombody.
insurence went arround and asked the other driver and witneses, then they were out the front saw my dad getting into his company car and basically the game was up.

been on 3 driving corses now :)
and made sure im full comp under my name
pricey but hey mistakes happen.
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

dB wrote:just car , car was under my dads name,
insurence went arround and asked the other driver and witneses, then they were out the front saw my dad getting into his company car and basically the game was up.

ahh thanks for the precaution ^^
yeah i agree accidents do happen, but i wish i could afford to pay for my insurance pretty *~delightful!~* being 16 and sharing an FTO
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

dB wrote:just car , car was under my dads name,

sorry to hear....haha...insurance cnt wait in front of my house to see who gets in my car...lol...it is a main road and no where to park for them to see.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

harry90 wrote:
nicholas wrote:One thing you learn the hard way, and a lot of people are yet to learn, is that there isn't a whole lot of point trying to fool insurance companies.

They spend big $$$ on investigators, especially if they think you're trying to play them the fool.

For example... that sweet S15 of yours, insured in Mum's name? Oh noes, you were too busy impressing your mates and ran into the back of someone, which in turn shunted the four cars in front of that. You've bent your chassis - expensive.

Okay, so... Mum - just tell the insurance company it was you. Fine?

Uh uh, not so fast. The insurance company sends out an investigator to get the story straight with Mum. "So, I notice you've got 2 other cars also on your NRMA policy. We've seen you driving out of the driveway to work every day this week in the Corolla - are you sure the S15 wasn't Jnr's car?"

In short, they know every dirty trick in the book and they'll simply void the policy - no pay out, no car... not a good end result.
you just pay the age excess dont you ? if you are under 25 that is ?

and also....it sounds VERY VERY far fetched that the insurance would intrerrogate your neighbours.....that would be stupid, i for one dont get along with my neighbours, and if they wanted to stop hearing my car coming home in the early hours of the morning they probably would just say i drive it, just to stop me driving.
in saying that, if the insurance were to investigate, it would be more complex then just asking your neighbours. I mean, it wouldnt take that much to get video footage of where the accident occurred, or somewhere around the area it happened.
my sister had an accident in my mums car. my mum called up the insurance and said it was her drving. no questions asked, they fixed the car in one week.
Actually they'll get names of anybody even associated with the car in any way, and they;ll have interviews with each of those people individually. They'll dig down to the exactl details and won't ask all of u the same questions.

Really, don't try to bullsh*t the insurance companies because everybody out there is out there to save some dollars but they don't realise the insurance companies are 1 step ahead. They've heard every story in the book and the smallest thing will give them enough reason to reject your claim. Really not worth taking the chance.
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

i wasnt refering to stories people make up...all im saying is...when you have an accident (unless the car is undriveable), all you need to do is exchange details with the person you had the accident with (most people want their cars fixed asap, and dont care how it is done as long as they are not paying anyhting (if it isnt their faultt))...all im saying is, you exchange your details then when you get home you contact your insurance company and tell them what happened (Except that the policy holder was driving). then they will charge you the excess, contact the other party to discuss the accident, and then will decide where they want the car to be repaired.
and if its just an accident involving yourself and hitting a telegraph pole or something without a third party being involved, it is a lot easier to lie to the insurance about who was drivving ( my sister (on her p's) had an accident in my mums car hitting a telgraph pole. my mum contacted the insurance saying it was her driving, and they came and picked up the car the same day ....no questions asked.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Just bare in mind that not everybody who's involved in an accident will think of it that way. Like when I got rear ended, I called my insurance company and gave the name of the person and their details to them even though I wasn't at fault, just for the sake of doing it.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

sublime19 wrote:Just bare in mind that not everybody who's involved in an accident will think of it that way. Like when I got rear ended, I called my insurance company and gave the name of the person and their details to them even though I wasn't at fault, just for the sake of doing it.
You should always do that.

Ill im gonna say is if your young they are gonna check things out. If your older they just take your word no questions asked.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

sublime19 wrote:Just bare in mind that not everybody who's involved in an accident will think of it that way. Like when I got rear ended, I called my insurance company and gave the name of the person and their details to them even though I wasn't at fault, just for the sake of doing it.
When you have an accident, even if its not your fault you actually need to give them the details of the other driver that hit you .. otherwise they will still pay your claim, but they'll charge you excess because you "Must've just reversed into a pole"
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

harry90 wrote:
and also....it sounds VERY VERY far fetched that the insurance would intrerrogate your neighbours.....that would be stupid, i for one dont get along with my neighbours, and if they wanted to stop hearing my car coming home in the early hours of the morning they probably would just say i drive it, just to stop me driving.
in saying that, if the insurance were to investigate, it would be more complex then just asking your neighbours. I mean, it wouldnt take that much to get video footage of where the accident occurred, or somewhere around the area it happened.
my sister had an accident in my mums car. my mum called up the insurance and said it was her drving. no questions asked, they fixed the car in one week.
No offence mate ... But you have had your licence for how long ??? And been driving for how long...?

I am not trying to be rude, but it is definitely not far fetched about investigators... Apart from white collar fraud, insurance fraud is the next biggest thing ...

I know of cases that have happened for real ... I have also seen first hand people get caught out for insurance fraud... Another example that I had seen was as follows: -

Guy A goes to work (works nights at a restaurant), organises someone (one of his friends) to steal his car while he is at work ... At an arranged time, Guy A goes down to the carpark to hand over the keys to his mate (so that he is not caught breaking into it in the carpark) ... He gives his friend details to the location where he should dump it, and goes back to work ... His friend after dumping the car in a private spot, strips it, rips open the ignition and torches the car....

At the end of his shift, he reports the car stolen.

About a week or two later, he finds an investigator asking him questions, and gets an official statement. He Asks if he took any breaks throughout the night, and how long his shift was. He asked for all details as to who was working, and even wanted to speak with the boss.

After interviewing the boss, it was found he disappeared from work for about 5-10 minutes (which was not specified to the investigator). It was also confirmed that another employee had seen him in the carpark at this time. The witness remembers seeing Guy A's car leave the carpark, as they were on a cigarette break, and new what car Guy A drove.

Guy A got asked about his time in the carpark, and he replied that he was having a smoke ... He was asked if he noticed the car missing then, and he said it was still there.. When questioned why Guy A did not disclose this break, he had advised that he must of had his times mixed up with another day, as he never really pays much attention to when he goes for a smoke or not....

Because of the conflicting information, his claim was declined ... He appealed, and threatened to take the matter to court....

After further investigation (interviewing family/friends and getting confirmation from a credit reporting agency) it was discovered that this person had a lot of cash outstanding in relation to unsecured credit ... While it could not be confirmed that the person was trying to pull an insurance job on his car to pay debts, it was concluded that this was probably the intent....

Guy A never took the matter any further .... If found guilty, not only would he not see his cash for the car, but would have a criminal record ...

I would also suggest that look over your "hypothetical" confession to insurance fraud on a public forum that can be viewed by anyone...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

rock_it wrote:
harry90 wrote:
I would also suggest that look over your "hypothetical" confession to insurance fraud on a public forum that can be viewed by anyone...
+1 - Never know where these investigators might be investigating ;)

Nice story rock_it .. Reminds me of this one time.. Homer hired Moe to steal his car & then he got caught out .. sorry, my story is a bit shorter :(
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

mr-charisma wrote:
rock_it wrote:
harry90 wrote:
+1 - Never know where these investigators might be investigating ;)

Nice story rock_it .. Reminds me of this one time.. Homer hired Moe to steal his car & then he got caught out .. sorry, my story is a bit shorter :(
Hehehehe ... Yeah, I can just go on, and on, and on ...... :lol:

I remember that episode of the simpson's .. I love how Homer tries to jump out of the car, rolls down the hill, and rolls back into the car just as it goes into the water.... :lol:
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

:lol: simpsons episode...
i stand corrected about insurance fraud thing :!:
the point though that i was trying to prove was that insurance companies mostly tend to take the word of the person who is making the claim (unless the story doesnt make sense)....but i now agree that they would have investigators in suspision situations.
And i have had my license for 2 yrs now... :) not an accident to my name (touch wood)...except breaking my window in garage... :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

I remember that episode of the simpson's .. I love how Homer tries to jump out of the car, rolls down the hill, and rolls back into the car just as it goes into the water....
bahaha even just by you reminding me that im laughing my ass off
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

Im with Just Cars and after the accident when I called them up, they checked out the car from photos alone and wouldn't even send out an assessor. Thats for $8,600 worth of repairs.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

harry90 wrote::lol: simpsons episode...
i stand corrected about insurance fraud thing :!:
the point though that i was trying to prove was that insurance companies mostly tend to take the word of the person who is making the claim (unless the story doesnt make sense)....but i now agree that they would have investigators in suspision situations.
And i have had my license for 2 yrs now... :) not an accident to my name (touch wood)...except breaking my window in garage... :lol:
Yeah, insurance company's are known for their tactics to try and get out of paying no matter what ... Same as there are Workers Comp investigators ... They all have the same tricks...
I8A4RE wrote:
I remember that episode of the simpson's .. I love how Homer tries to jump out of the car, rolls down the hill, and rolls back into the car just as it goes into the water....
bahaha even just by you reminding me that im laughing my ass off
I like when he breaks out of gaol, and is on the book trolley ... "Kill Moe, Kill Moe ... Weeeeee!!!! ... Kill Moe, Kill Moe ... Weeeeee!!!!!!"

Homer is king.... :lol:
oodLes wrote:Im with Just Cars and after the accident when I called them up, they checked out the car from photos alone and wouldn't even send out an assessor. Thats for $8,600 worth of repairs.
You are one of the lucky ones then ... Just as ummm ... Ralliartboy (I think it was) what just car did to him with his WRX show car
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

What did they do
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

I8A4RE wrote:What did they do
Long story short, they didn't cover him for half the stuff he did to the car... But ...

He was going through an intersection, and some young kid in a commodore came turned through the intersection into the side street at a set of lights...

From the direction that Ralliartboy was travelling, there were 2 or 3 lanes of traffic and he was in the lane close to the gutter... There was a van in the other lane, which obstructed his view of the car (turning illegally), but the van saw it, and hit the brakes... Ralliartboy was not so lucky and collected the Commy ...

Just cars investigated and came to the rule that the van saw the car and was able to stop ... Therefore

1) he was speeding
2) if he had of been paying attention he could have avoided the accident like the van

So, they ruled him to be something like 20% at fault, and only gave him 80% of the market value for the car.... So pretty much screwed him over....

But I am sure he will be able to give you more info ... This is only what I heard from him at one of our meets....
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Ouch, that sucks.

What happens with things like vented bonnets and such, or if the car has rims which are illegal as they're 1 inch too big, do they take things like that into consideration and reject your claim even if you advise them beforehand that you have those mods?