GTO or S15?

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

xSlurpee
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

GTO or S15?

Post by xSlurpee »

Hey everyone, i been thinking abit lately that .. when im off my P's what car would i upgrade to :? (i like my FTO, but its just that its very troublesome to get an FTO turbocharged ESPECIALLY mine being a GPX)
Soo what do you think is better between the S15 Spec R and GTO TT (97 models)? They're both fairly similar in price and each have their pros and cons but i need further opinions, so throw me some pros and cons between the GTO & S15 :D
and outta the 2 what would you guys pick?
Cheers ^__^
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

S15 for sure, heaps of aftermarket, no bullshit, easy to work on.
GTO no one will work on them, expensive to repair, heavy and outdated now.
to give you an idea on the GTO, i have a mate that had one, blew the clutch, cost him $3200 to replace because they had to pull the engine out through the bottom of the car for some reason. he is a heavy diesel mechanic in the army and still coudlnt work on it! way too complicated.
definitely S15
Racing in a VL is like being in the Special Olympics, coz even if you win, you're still a <u>RETARD</u>
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

s15 is my car of choice next to the FTO. they look good, go hard, and because of the fact that there are so many of them in the country, parts are cheap and they are easier to get fixed.

GTO is a bit old school now, they look ok but they aren't very common so will cost a lot of money to repair and buy parts for.
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

manofwood wrote:S15 for sure, heaps of aftermarket, no bullshit, easy to work on.
GTO no one will work on them, expensive to repair, heavy and outdated now.
to give you an idea on the GTO, i have a mate that had one, blew the clutch, cost him $3200 to replace because they had to pull the engine out through the bottom of the car for some reason. he is a heavy diesel mechanic in the army and still coudlnt work on it! way too complicated.
definitely S15
yeah i had that in mind on if anything goes wrong with a silvia its easier to get it fixed than the GTO and the amount of aftermarket that supports the S15 also .. HOWEVER i want to be abit more unique, i see sooooo many S15's here in NSW (esp the fairfield, canley, cabra, bonnyrigg area) im too lazy to turn my head as 1 drives pass. Well yeah ill deffinately consider the costs to maintain the GTO.
thanks for the advice
but what does everyone else here think :?:
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

S15 for sho.

I'm pretty sure I want one for my next car (not saying I'd sell the FTO but :lol: ).

If it weren't a 4 cylinder, it'd definitely be my next car... but I really don't like 4 cylinders :lol:

But yeah, GTO is too old, all these electronics and stuff that could go wrong. S15s were start of life in 97, GTOs were end of life; there's a lifetime of difference between the 2, and I'm pretty sure you'd regret the GTO almost immediately.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

s15 hands down no comparison IMO
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

S15....i know that this is gonna be my next car after the fto ! (although that is still a minimum of 2 yrs away)...but the silvia is a great car....no need to second guess it.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

S15 ... And the wiring in a GTO is worse then the FTO ... They put so many things off the one relay, and adding stuff to it easily blows fuses .. Friend found this out the hard way .. Putting anything in killed him ... alarm, stereo, etc.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Pffft, get a Series 6/7 RX-7 ;)
maggsy
Oldtimer

Post by maggsy »

bit of a price difference there Charisma :lol:
"How come when you go to bed at night you wake up even more tired in the morning?...Sorta' defies the point of getting a good night sleep."

xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

woahh, seems like the S15 is a better choice, lets hope my mind dont change to something else like a supra .. but then i've driven my brothers mates 94 supra NA and it was tooo low for my liking, back seats can only be sat by the "cross leg" style like back in primary school lol and interia feels dated
So seems like i better start saving up for an S15 Spec R :D
.. unless someone can point me out a better ride under 30k
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

xSlurpee wrote:woahh, seems like the S15 is a better choice, lets hope my mind dont change to something else like a supra .. but then i've driven my brothers mates 94 supra NA and it was tooo low for my liking, back seats can only be sat by the "cross leg" style like back in primary school lol and interia feels dated
Before you buy a S15 you might wanna get an insurance quote.

I wanted to get one before I had my fto, and yes I had the money at that point to easily afford one until I got a quote. Turns out its one of the most commonly stolen sports cars, insurance for me was almost 4k. Quote for other cars like r34s and evo's was much less, around 2600.

So you might wanna get an insurance quote, not sure how it is in your state but for me the insurance for these skyrocketed cos of how common it is for them to get stolen..

Oh, and on the GTO's = far too much maintanence and way too heavy :?
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

oh with the insurance its not a prob, i'll be under my mums name (30years+ driving w/o an accident to date) about $1500 with NRMA i think full comp insurance too, but im only worried if i drive around the cabra area as there as FULL OF elderly asian drivers xD (no racism intended as i myself am asian)
depending on how often i'll be driving i'll be under 2 names
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

xSlurpee wrote:woahh, seems like the S15 is a better choice, lets hope my mind dont change to something else like a supra .. but then i've driven my brothers mates 94 supra NA and it was tooo low for my liking, back seats can only be sat by the "cross leg" style like back in primary school lol and interia feels dated
Earlier model Evo's go for under 30k ....
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

S15 = $22k
RX7 = $28k
EVO7 = $28k

+1 for the S15 because i have one now :P
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

go with the s15... many aftermarket goodies to keep you happy for along time...

the gto will kill your petrol epicly
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

eThix wrote:S15 = $22k
RX7 = $28k
EVO7 = $28k

+1 for the S15 because i have one now :P
You can get Evo V and VII for cheaper ... You can even pick up a GSR with the 2.0l conversion for under 20K ... Go old school and get Evo I - III 8)
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

Yeah but evos are getting old... as much as i love the older evos over the new ones, i would always get a newer car..
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Mate.. if I was in your position & looking to buy a new car, I would seriously consider importing one instead.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

s15! :)