GTO or S15?

From Ferrari's to Fiats, it happens in here.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

xSlurpee
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by xSlurpee »

mr-charisma wrote:Mate.. if I was in your position & looking to buy a new car, I would seriously consider importing one instead.
oh lol im in no hurry, only 16 at the moment and im pretty happy with my gpx that was imported with the help of edward lees autocentre .. but just wondering that what ride would i be driving when off my Ps
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

already thinking about getting rid of the fto ? :? u have only been driving a few months ! 8O ...in saying that..when i get off my p's i am getting a 200...but dont get ahead of the game IMO
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

doesnt hurt to dream LOL .. but your right im thinking abit too far ahead :P
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I can't imagine ever selling my FTO .. the next car I get will be a second car to sit in the garage next to my FTO .. but I don't think I will get another Jap import .. my next one will either be a Lotus Elise, or a Corvette Stingray :) (can't hurt to dream ;))
Shahrez
Mechanic

Post by Shahrez »

mr-charisma wrote:I can't imagine ever selling my FTO .. the next car I get will be a second car to sit in the garage next to my FTO .. but I don't think I will get another Jap import .. my next one will either be a Lotus Elise, or a Corvette Stingray :) (can't hurt to dream ;))
oh mate your too right about that! i test drove both the elise and stingray, stingray, beautiful from outside, but driving physics not too top notch, elise, beautiful zippy ride, luckily i got to test drive the exige s after, and dammmmmmnn i want the exige s! pretty pricy but mate, u gotta go for a ride in that!!
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I heard that the Exige S isn't as good.. I will definitely have to test drive it then.. I want a Supercharged Elise ;) I still like the look of the Elise over the Exige .. a lot classier .. the Exige's try a bit too hard to have the "race-car" look.

Gotta expect less from the Stingray when it comes to handling some of them are almost 40 years old after all.. I want one more as a project car & a weekend cruiser when its all done :)
Not so much into restoring one though, although it would be good to replace with all original parts, I think I would prefer to use some newer stuff if possible when it comes to suspension etc, and particularly for the interior, custom fibreglass / carbon fibre re-designed dash / consoles doors etc & leather on everything.. :)
Shahrez
Mechanic

Post by Shahrez »

oh yeah definately, i see which angle you are looking at the stingray from and i agree. ive know a few people who have done theirs up to mint, show condition with exterior resprays, leather interior, new suspensions and just rust proofing everything and it's a amazing eye-catcher!

lol the exige does have that race-car look to it with the extras but i didn't mean i wanted the exige s look's wise, i test drove the both and performance wise i would like the exige! its so true though, it's comedy getting in and out! lol iam 6 foot and getting in was okay, getting out was kinda funny, it felt like getting up from a child's bicycle! lol but the g-force, the exhausts sound, the feeling that your almost touching the ground, its just has to be experianced! starts of at around $115,000 i think without added options.

Good to dream!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

I didnt know the GTO is now called a stingray and the elise is the new S15................ Get your own thread boys :lol:
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

63' split window FTW ;)
Racing in a VL is like being in the Special Olympics, coz even if you win, you're still a <u>RETARD</u>
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

2CV, doesn't get any better than that :thumright:
LED ALL the things.
sublime19
Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

xSlurpee wrote:oh with the insurance its not a prob, i'll be under my mums name (30years+ driving w/o an accident to date) about $1500 with NRMA i think full comp insurance too, but im only worried if i drive around the cabra area as there as FULL OF elderly asian drivers xD (no racism intended as i myself am asian)
depending on how often i'll be driving i'll be under 2 names
lol have u actually got a quote from them bro?

they quoted my friend with a r33 $7200 per year cos it's a sports car, and they quoted me $8500 per year, I asked what it would be if it was under my parents name, got quoted $5100

The guy told me any type of import I'd be better off goin 2 some other insurance company cos NRMA is more for family cars

So yea might wanna get a quote before if you havn't already
I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

sublime19 wrote:lol have you actually got a quote from them bro?

they quoted my friend with a r33 $7200 per year cos it's a sports car, and they quoted me $8500 per year, I asked what it would be if it was under my parents name, got quoted $5100

The guy told me any type of import I'd be better off goin 2 some other insurance company cos NRMA is more for family cars

So yea might wanna get a quote before if you havn't already
oh wow seriously? my mums 04 corollas 700 full comp insured with NRMA (dam asian parents say they powerful and quick with repairing bla bla)
atm the FTO's insured with commonwealth LOL $1650 but they seems dodgy >__>
well it seems like .. FTO is your wife and an S15 is that chick you met at the bar
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

Good luck insurance even under your parents name. They'll surely have to agree that no one under 25ish will drive the car so unless there on stand by to take your place in a crash I don't like your chances.

Now I'll put my vote in for the GTO since I own one. I know a few owners and find they are as reliable as my FTO when I had it. There's a lot of crap on the net about how bad they are but I think the majority of issues come from people treating them like dirt and turning boost up too high.

How many people bitch on forums when something goes wrong with their car? Those same people don't jump on and say my car is great and it's running great. Well unless you're you know who.

I have a 97MR so most electronic gizmos aren't there but I have no major dramas at all. Including installation or largeish stereo, interior lighting, HID and gauges. One persons story doesn't mean all even if there are several stories.

Ranting I know but between us all we'd all have one bad thing to say about Dell or HP etc. Same thing here I think.

The two cars in question are totally different machines anyway so not really comparable IMO. Both would be great for what they do. Sure the GTO will cost more in the long term but it's fun and you don't see many. I don't anyway.
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

arent you allowed to have 3-4 times a year when someone else drives your car, that is not listed on the policy ?just something that i was told. i dont know if its true, just wanted to put it out there, if anyone wants to verify this or if its incorrect ?
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
Dr_Jones
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Dr_Jones »

It would be up to the insurance company. Mine is nominated drivers only and only over 25's
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

One thing you learn the hard way, and a lot of people are yet to learn, is that there isn't a whole lot of point trying to fool insurance companies.

They spend big $$$ on investigators, especially if they think you're trying to play them the fool.

For example... that sweet S15 of yours, insured in Mum's name? Oh noes, you were too busy impressing your mates and ran into the back of someone, which in turn shunted the four cars in front of that. You've bent your chassis - expensive.

Okay, so... Mum - just tell the insurance company it was you. Fine?

Uh uh, not so fast. The insurance company sends out an investigator to get the story straight with Mum. "So, I notice you've got 2 other cars also on your NRMA policy. We've seen you driving out of the driveway to work every day this week in the Corolla - are you sure the S15 wasn't Jnr's car?"

In short, they know every dirty trick in the book and they'll simply void the policy - no pay out, no car... not a good end result.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

They did something like that to a mate of mine...

He had the car insured in his parents name, with him nominated as a driver but only for 1 day a month so they did not have to include him on the policy ... Anyway, he had a crash ... Investigators came out and interviewed the neighbours...

First thing they ask ... "So, how often does X drive the car?" .... Neighbour ... "Oh, he drives it every day to work"...... Insurance claim rejected.....
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

nicholas wrote: The insurance company sends out an investigator to get the story straight with Mum. "So, I notice you've got 2 other cars also on your NRMA policy. We've seen you driving out of the driveway to work every day this week in the Corolla - are you sure the S15 wasn't Jnr's car?"
Wouldn't she be taking the Corolla cause her S15 has a bent chassis? :P
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

nicholas wrote:One thing you learn the hard way, and a lot of people are yet to learn, is that there isn't a whole lot of point trying to fool insurance companies.

They spend big $$$ on investigators, especially if they think you're trying to play them the fool.

For example... that sweet S15 of yours, insured in Mum's name? Oh noes, you were too busy impressing your mates and ran into the back of someone, which in turn shunted the four cars in front of that. You've bent your chassis - expensive.

Uh uh, not so fast. The insurance company sends out an investigator to get the story straight with Mum. "So, I notice you've got 2 other cars also on your NRMA policy. We've seen you driving out of the driveway to work every day this week in the Corolla - are you sure the S15 wasn't Jnr's car?"

In short, they know every dirty trick in the book and they'll simply void the policy - no pay out, no car... not a good end result.
you just pay the age excess dont you ? if you are under 25 that is ?
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

nicholas wrote:One thing you learn the hard way, and a lot of people are yet to learn, is that there isn't a whole lot of point trying to fool insurance companies.

you just pay the age excess dont you ? if you are under 25 that is ?

and also....it sounds VERY VERY far fetched that the insurance would intrerrogate your neighbours.....that would be stupid, i for one dont get along with my neighbours, and if they wanted to stop hearing my car coming home in the early hours of the morning they probably would just say i drive it, just to stop me driving.
in saying that, if the insurance were to investigate, it would be more complex then just asking your neighbours. I mean, it wouldnt take that much to get video footage of where the accident occurred, or somewhere around the area it happened.
my sister had an accident in my mums car. my mum called up the insurance and said it was her drving. no questions asked, they fixed the car in one week.