DIY: Changing lower engine mounts

Do It Yourself. Feeling game try some of the mods outlined in here. Some of these can be peformed by novices others require a substantial amount of knowledge before attempting them

If you are not sure about something ASK

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

payaya
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Re: DIY: Changing lower engine mounts

Post by payaya »

I'll see what they say in Melbourne! Everything seems to be shipped from Sydney though!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah, their main parts depot is up here. Not far from my place actually. If you order the bit at a Mitsi parts dealer in Syd before 10am, it'll make the 1pm delivery truck run that day.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Hows the car after the side mount change?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Much better... surprising what its fixed. Its greatly reduced the amount of torque steer I was getting! The whole steering alignment seems nicer for some reason..

Not to mention all the noises its fixed. Having said that, there's noticeably more cabin vibration.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Bennoz wrote:Much better... surprising what its fixed. Its greatly reduced the amount of torque steer I was getting! The whole steering alignment seems nicer for some reason..

Not to mention all the noises its fixed. Having said that, there's noticeably more cabin vibration.
This your first time changing them?? Yeah noticed the same as you. Up and go seems better as well.

The fto's bell housing bolts hit the centremember with old mounts. You may notice this if you have a close look.

I notice the vibration at idle when the thermos kick in most.

I find the rear mount the main cause of vibration, due to its smaller insulator. As you are using washers to lower your engine, you probably have a case of engine resting on the rear mount too much still, causing the increased vibration and it doesnt help the side mounts are stiffer making it worse. I reckon you need to put washers between your chassis and centre member, just to balance the load on your mounts.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Both my lower mounts are poly, plus I'm using 3mm worth of washers under all engine mount points, so concerning myself with cabin vibration is not high on my priority list. It is what it is :lol:
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Yeah mine are more solid all round as well.
Rob Furniss
Oldtimer

Post by Rob Furniss »

I've been through the thread but which ones for the bottom mount on a facelift auto? (I want stiffer ones and don't have a press although I'm sure most garages do so could get them pressed in).
Or can I just get manual mounts as they are more solid anyway?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah just grab the manual ones. If you dont have a press, you can drill / saw the old ones out & just use a vice to press the new ones in.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Did a fellow members rear engine mount, and not very surprised it was fecked bad.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Changed my rear engine mount on the weekend. It's definitely seen better days...

Also when doing up the crossmember bolts I found they struggled to go in properly. A tip is to jack the engine up via the crossmember to lift it high enough so the bolts can easily be secured in.
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

Bennoz wrote: Also note - the mounts are different on a manual vs a tip.

Part numbers:
Manual front mount: MR197540
Manual rear mount: MB691237 or MB949166
Tip front mount: MR131296
Tip rear mount: MR223674

Oh, and they are FTO specific mounts - therefore Mitsubishi Australia will charge like a wounded bull for them. I bought mine from Camskill in the UK.
Bought these mounts today from Walker Auto One in Ipswich, QLD for $60/$66 respectively. Made by a company called Transgold and according to the Sales rep I spoke to from Transgold, they work on both tip and Manual boxes. :cheers:
I realize Amayama has them for a little less but shipping will make them more expensive not to mention the 2+ week delivery
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

vanadinite wrote:

Part numbers:

Oh, and they are FTO specific mounts - therefore Mitsubishi Australia will charge like a wounded bull for them. I bought mine from Camskill in the UK.
Bought these mounts today from Walker Auto One in Ipswich, QLD for $60/$66 respectively. Made by a company called Transgold and according to the Sales rep I spoke to from Transgold, they work on both tip and Manual boxes. :cheers:
I realize Amayama has them for a little less but shipping will make them more expensive not to mention the 2+ week delivery
Shoulda got the Evo ones they are harder rubber lol.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

silverGPX wrote:
vanadinite wrote:

Part numbers:

Shoulda got the Evo ones they are harder rubber lol.
No one seems to have the rear in the hardened form... So no point doing all others in that, and putting on a stock rear.. You will just chew through it..

I was looking at replacing all the mounts on FTO Smurf... But gave up when I couldn't locate a rear.. Even Meek are out...
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
vanadinite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by vanadinite »

Are evo 4 mounts the same?
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

This may be a record stupid question, but to be sure. Ill cop it :lol: doing a manual conversion do I order manual mounts or am I still using the auto mounts so I order ones for a tip..?
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Hardrace has them vip
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

destinationtoby wrote:This may be a record stupid question, but to be sure. Ill cop it :lol: doing a manual conversion do I order manual mounts or am I still using the auto mounts so I order ones for a tip..?
Manual ones bruv, because you're going to be using the manual box...
tip ones would work but they'd wear out like crazy and they'd do a sh*t job
destinationtoby
Broke it

Post by destinationtoby »

Sahin wrote:
destinationtoby wrote:This may be a record stupid question, but to be sure. Ill cop it :lol: doing a manual conversion do I order manual mounts or am I still using the auto mounts so I order ones for a tip..?
Manual ones bruv, because you're going to be using the manual box...
tip ones would work but they'd wear out like crazy and they'd do a sh*t job
Are these the mounts that go underneath, on the crossmember I think it's called? If so am I able to use the one off the white car to take in and get them replaced and then bolt the whole thing onto the silver one when I do it?
Because nothing is faster than a p plater in a commodore.....
except maybe a p plater on a unicorn
FTOcrazy273 wrote: Destinationtoby probably has one of THE best FTO's on the forum I never get tired of looking at his pics! Good work mate!
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

The mount casings are the same, so it doesn't matter what ones you use but yes I suggest you buy new manual inserts and yes they are the ones on the cross member.