TURBO HELP

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Black_FTOGPX
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

TURBO HELP

Post by Black_FTOGPX »

g,day Never posted anything up before but i need some advice on fitting a turbo to my 95 GPX.

Now i no nothing about turboing so if anyone could tell me what brands are good? where i can get them and how much they cost it would be gratelly apreciated.

Also how hard are they to fit and what kind of power increase can i expect :?:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

* i'll get this one boys :wink: *

Brands are more of a matter of preference if anything... as long as you get ball-bearing ones (Garrett/HKS, IHI/Apex'i, Greddy, Turbonetics etc etc), you can't go wrong. it's also a matter of finding one in a suitable size that you're after... (and one that will fit in the bay!)

Whereabouts are you at? There are a number of workshops that can do the job for you, but it also depends on which state you're in...

They are not easy to fit because the exhaust manifolds are not available off-the-shelf as far as i know of (till this day), so a custom one will need to be made to fit to mount the turbo. custom work mean more time, and more time mean more money... you see where i'm going with this? unless you're a mechanic by trade or you know what you're doing, this sort of work is best left to professionals because it'll take lots of time and sweat to do a proper job...

For a basic turbo kit, you'll definitely need an air-to-air intercooler, the turbocharger itself, manifolds & all the associated plumbing / brackets, exhaust system from the turbo back, maybe an additional fuel injector, an upgraded computer to control the ignition/fuel mapping, maybe a blow-off valve and turbo timer to pro-long the life of your turbo. All up, expect anywhere between $8K to $11K for a really decent job.

mind you, that price prob. won't cover upgraded clutch (if your car was manual), brakes and suspension to cope with the extra power, so there's another thing to think about.

power increase also depends on your turbo sizing and amount of boost that you run. if you're going to bolt on a basic turbo kit (say a T25 for example) with standard internals, don't expect to go any higher than 6-7psi of boost, which should give you about 200-220kw at the fly (with good fuel and right tuning).

running any higher boost and you will compromise reliability of the MIVEC motor because they have a very high comp. ratio, so any sort of forced induction is going to dramatically increase the temps in the combustion chamber and without strengthened internals, your rods/pistons will break easily and when that happens, be prepared to dig deep into your pockets!

I hope this info is enough to get you started for the mean time... any more queries, i'd be glad to help out! :wink:
elmo
Grease Monkey

turbo's

Post by elmo »

You forgot to mention the bit,

Call David from RPW in Perth,0894431719.
I reckon their turbo kits are very close to being finished.
DJ_Brettlo

Post by DJ_Brettlo »

u can download an article at the following site

http://www.mitsubishi-fto.info/downloads/index.php