Bennoz 6A13 Conversion

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jonowong
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by jonowong »

yano28 wrote:Is that basically the same as the stock fto mount just made in polyeurethane or custom?? Looks a little bigger than normal. That's obviously the cross member there which has 2 mounts, is it just the front one you got made up or both?
if you just change one... the weaker one wears out at a rapid pace
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yeah but i think yano is asking did he do both poly or just one. In which case he only did (i think) the one, becuase if you do both its just too firm.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Correct, just the rear one. Its the weaker of the 2 & cops most of the punishment. The front one is standard, but its also new so it should last a while (also easier to change than the rear one when it does go, dont have to pull the whole crossmember out.)

Yeah, I was advied while 2 bushes in poly would be better, it would also shake sh*t outta the cabin.
While its larger overall, the mount points for the bracket on the gearbox are matched up exactly, so no modification required to fit it.

Started to strip the 6A13 box off the block yeterday, will finish that off this morning & fit my box on :)
Also found a piccy from when we pulled it outta the VR4:

nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey bennoz how is the project coming when you get to havting to put the motor in please tell us how u made the twin turbo set up work I may need advice hehe
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Bit of delay on the gearbox unfortunately. Some of the gears had 'pitting' in them from floating bits of metal, so she's undergoing a more major overhaul than planned.

So, during the downtime, Im servicing the 6A13. Did plugs, leads & belts today. Have a go at how big the 6A13 intake ports are! :jerk:

Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Your gears having pitting on them lol. I think that's what Simon meant anyways lol.

Damn, they're some big ports for intake...and there's 6 of them too!!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

haha @ delvance no i wouldnt be that harsh.

I was saying fail because yesterday none of the pics were working but then as i looked at other threads they werent working either..... so looks like the failure was at my end :oops: :lol:
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

yeah i cant see them either buddy ordered my motor today
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey man were did u get the plugs leads and belts from and what are their part numbers as i might do mine when it is out as i am bulding the motor up then putting it in the fto since i got the manual conversion 2 do 2
Richy
Mechanic

Post by Richy »

:hmm: cant wait for the result of this project....especially with the 6k budget set... :P
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey bennoz how much is it costing you to high flow your turbos man and my budget is much less haha but I am building the motor on the side with a new gearbox 2 do my conversion auto to manual so I will still have my car
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Dude, you have a really bad habit of hijacking my threads for your own personal gain :lol:

Here, I've made your own little thread:

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... 031#173031
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Update,

Gearbox arrived this morning :) Full reco, the LSD was stripped, the clutch plates rearranged to reduce the preload (loosen it up a little basically) a few new thrust bearings, and the box rebuilt.

The Haltech Interceptor ECU has also arrived today. I've serviced the top end of the motor, new platinum plugs, the Magnecor leads are now on & a new thermostat in.

Today Im doing the timing belt, water pump, alt & ps belts & tensioners and clutch (if it needs one) & bolting the box onto the motor. From there, its all downhill! :) We should be testing fitting the whole lot tomorrow.

Cash spent so far:
Donor half cut - $3000 ($1500 coming back for sold VR4 gearbox)
Half cut freight to Syd - $360
Haltech Interceptor - $600
Gearbox - $750
Plugs - $100
Labour - $0 :)

Total - $3210

Left to buy:
Timing belt kit (with tensioners) - $300
Water Pump - $80
Clutch (possibly) - $250
Thermo slimline fans - $250

Then its just wiring & tuning!

Coupla progress pics:

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Who's that hot chic in the last pic? :lol:

Looks buddy.. keep the updates coming.

PS have you brought the water pump yet cause i need a couple and may be able to get special price for buying 3.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I8A4RE wrote:PS have you brought the water pump yet cause i need a couple and may be able to get special price for buying 3.
I have mate, its already there - but I know Kazbah is looking to buy one, you might want to send her a pm.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

where did you get it for $80 kempies or camskill?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Kempy's. That was a while ago thou. The one I just got my mechanic sourced.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

wow man isint that cheap for a interceptor. Looks good buddy. Your gonna have that done in no time at all man. Were did ya get ya fans from.
Well done man keep up the good work
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah, thats trade price on the Interceptor. Not yet bought the fans.

Well today Im changing the timing belt, and f**k me, I see why mechanics charge $1000 plus to do these jobs... what an arse!! Took me an hour & a half just to get all the sh*t off the side of the motor just so I can get at the belt! And thats with the motor our of the car!

Have a go at all the bits that have to come off...(including ps pump & all but removing the alternator)

The other thing that surprised me, was the cost of the bloody belt for the 6A13. The aftermarket Gates belts are more expensive than the genuine ones!

Auto One wanted $380 (for aftermarket)
TLC wanted $300 (for aftermarket)
Repace wanted $330 (for aftermarket)
Gen Mitsubishi $227 (trade price too - retail was $300)

Doing water pump as well - was surprised to find that its the same pump for a dozen Mitsi engines. Fits the 4 cylinder Galant & FTO, Fits 6A12 FTO (both mivec & non mivec) and also the 6A13. Was $100 trade price thru TLC.

Now comes the hard part with clutch - the 6A13 uses a 'pull type' clutch (ie the slave cylinder mounts in the opposite direction to an FTO unit & 'pulls' the clutch arm. As such, its a completely different diaphram. So we now have to see if my old FTO clutch assembly will bolt to the 6A13 flywheel. If it does, then I need to buy a super heavy duty FTO clutch kit to suit the FTO 'push type' master cylinder & gearbox. Im also told, the FTO slave cylinder needs to have its mounting modified so it doesn't foul on the front turbo bypass valve.

Will put some pics up showing the difference tonight.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

If you give me the part number i can see what price i can get the belts for, if you havent already brought them. Depending on the belt i usually can get some good prices