Bennoz 6A13 Conversion

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Bennoz
National President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by Bennoz »

Have already ordered thru Mitsi, but I'd be interested to see what your buy price is.

Gen part number is MD318814
Gates part number is T1028
Bando part number is TB664
Its a 234 teeth by 34 wide belt.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

$220 for gates
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Wow bugger I hope ya find a solution to the clutch slave cylinder and when u do please let us now. But mate arent u using the fto box so wouldn't the mounting brackets be the same this is how I see it
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

I8A4RE wrote:$220 for gates
Good price. Oh well, $7 bucks more for genuine.
nvr2low wrote:Wow bugger I hope ya find a solution to the clutch slave cylinder and when you do please let us now. But mate arent you using the fto box so wouldn't the mounting brackets be the same this is how I see it
Yeah, mounts straight onto the FTO box, but it sticks out to the left where the turbos are. Will have a solution for this tommorrow.

Here's the difference in clutch types. On the left is the legnum 'pull' type clutch, the right is the FTO 'push' type clutch.

Haltech Interceptor. Its pretty cool, about the size of a 20 pack of ciggies :)

Image[
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

cant you shorten the actuator to make it fit? cut it and reweld it
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Bennoz wrote: Haltech Interceptor. Its pretty cool, about the size of a 20 pack of ciggies :)

Image[
I want one Ben :twisted: any chance you can get your hands on a 2nd one?
also how long would it take to put in and tune?
oh and would it be the same cost to fit and tune as the unichip?
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

ok well buddy when u got a solution to it can u please put some pics up of before and after and does this mean the flwheel i bought of you wont fit the 6a13 man.

and with the actuator cant you just put a external wastegate on it man.

when you order the fans place and part number will be very nice buddy.

so i understand that the fto clutch the slave cyclinder pushes the clutch out and the legnum boxs pushes it out so it dis engages is this correct man sounds like we have to make up a new bracket on the other side of the clutch arm please show when ya got it sorted

thanks mate
gr_fto_reborn
Apprentice

Post by gr_fto_reborn »

here is an idea for you. this was taken from FTO OC in the UK. A member Jeltr is doing his. I am doing the 6a13 very soon too.
jellgtr wrote:ok problem now sorted :)

another quick tweak of the mount and a new mounting hole drilled its now solidly mounted and has a perfect angle 8)

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Ben i want slim line fans as well. Let me know when you grab them and ill get a set too.....if thats cool
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Yeah how about ya ask if it would be cheaper if you bought 3 as me you and simon all need them man.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

so your saying with the clutch you are going to try and use the fto clutch and a 6a13 flywheel and have the slave cylinder still push ou the clutch like on the fto box man is that correct and does this mean the flywheel i bought of you wont work man
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Aza - can get more Interceptors, dunno bout install & tune price. Im sure the guys at Envy will be able to tell you.

Ok, was a productive day, many questions answered.

The whole clutch assembly has to be FTO if using the FTO box. The pictures will explain it better. The FTO sandwich plate has to be used, the FTO flywheel has to be used and an FTO clutch has to be used.

Now, nvr2low, I used the flywheel I sold to you as a template to work all this out - unfortunately, my engineer has told me that its fucked... the heat warp from the old clutch is too bad to machine out. So, sorry man, send me a pm with your bank details & I will refund your money asap. Will see if I can find some wreckers near you that might have one. I had to go and buy another FTO flywheel from a wrecker today, then have it machined.

The FTO flywheel is actually slightly smaller than the 6A13 flywheel, so the first thing you have to do is change the sandwich plates over to the FTO unit - the sandwich plate governs where the starter motors bolts in - in this case, with an FTO flywheel, the starter has to come in closer than it would on the 6A13 setup. Its an easy job, 2 bolts. 6A13 plate on the left, FTO on the right.

Now for the clutch kit. As you can imagine, from the factory, the 6A13 comes with a heavy clutch, it has to drive 4 wheels after all. So now that we have to use an FTO clutch, we need it to be heavy too... not that its driving 4 wheels, but the FTO clutch is designed for use with around 120kws at the wheels, now an FTO clutch has to cope with upto 250kws at the wheels. So we went with a Excedy super heavy duty, organic sintered plate clutch. Strangely enough, its the same clutch as used in the EVO III.

Excedy part number is MBK-6429HD. Its a 225mm clutch, it cost me $427 at trade price - and that includes machining of the flywheel that I bought today. Here are some pics with the plate, pressure plate & flywheel.

Machined flywheel

Clutch plate

Pressure plate

The whole completed assembly

Then came the fun part, the timing belt, water pump & ancillary belts (air con, power steering etc.) I cant stress enough how much of a c**t of a job the timing belt is... I see why mechanics charge thousands of dollars to do them. It was an ass even with the motor out of the car. I didnt change tensioners because they simply didnt need replacing.

Part numbers & trade prices:
Water pump TF4012 (Trueflow) - $88.60
P/S & Air con belt B6PK1055 - $22.00 (35mm shorter than the FTO belt)
Alternator belt B4PK0950 - $16.40 (30mm shorter than FTO belts)

Motor is now ready to be test fitted tomorrow. Will be moving brake lines around on the firewall & checking out the thermo fan situation.
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

come to melbourne and ill pay u a case of beer a day to do to my car exaclty what your doing to yours :D
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

nvr2low wrote:hey man would you be able to source a flywheel from down south and use the money i sent you to buy me one buddy as i now their wont be a place with one up here buddy
I'll ring some places for you today ;)
AMACHA wrote:come to melbourne and ill pay you a case of beer a day to do to my car exaclty what your doing to yours :D
Needs to more than a case, buy me a pub!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

BEN you are a god ;)
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

that last photo! with you in it....

why does it look like your on some sort of amphetamine
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey bennoz were did you get that part number for your clutch as i had a look at the spreadsheet from exedy from a old post (yes i did use the search button) your number isint on the list

http://www.exedy.com.au/SpecSheet.aspx? ... owId=13074
gr_fto_reborn
Apprentice

Post by gr_fto_reborn »

In terms of engine wireing how are you going to go about this mate. There is 2 of us doing these conversions in the UK both of us have the early GR which had a 3pin ECU. so we are going to be splicing the VR4 loom into the FTO one and using the VR4 ECU. Was wondering if you have had to do the same and if so do you know how? :lol:
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

nvr2low wrote:hey bennoz were did you get that part number for your clutch as i had a look at the spreadsheet from exedy from a old post (yes i did use the search button) your number isint on the list

http://www.exedy.com.au/SpecSheet.aspx? ... owId=13074
Thats because the clutch is to suit an Evo 3:

http://www.exedy.com.au/SpecSheet.aspx? ... owId=13099

All the 4G63T clutches can be used on FTOs. The clutch plates are the same but the diaphrams are heavier - as the Evo clutches are designed to work with more power.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

ok sweet thanks buddy will look at the price of them in darwin I know they are going to be more expensive