Bennoz 6A13 Conversion

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

RichardB
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by RichardB »

nvr2low wrote: so richard you pushd the firewall in a little bit man and made new pipes that come off the turbo 2 the exhaust man. Does your motor sit a little further bak
no - I used standard FTO engine mounts, are you using FTO or VR4 mounts? there could be a difference
The World's fastest FTO - sub 9's checkout www.mitsubishi-fto.net to see the latest time.

Sponsored by : NR Autosport, RB Performance, PPG Gearboxes, IPG Parts, S1 Chiropractic
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

hey ben

arent you meant to use the 6a13 radiator?

because the fto radiator fill cap is on the engine

and the 6a13 radiator filler is on the radiator?
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey jonowong you have got a good point their.
maybe find a slim radiator ben
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Nah, we'll use the FTO radiator. We're gonna swap the thermostat housing off the FTO motor. The mount holes are all the same on the 6A13 block.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey ben is that the radiator pipe entry that is closest to the block man and sits upwards not sideways.buddy are u also moving your battery to the boot bu[/codlor]
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

How much is the manifold and dump pipe going to cost?

can you make one for me and one for nvr2low

that way you spread the design over 3 people ;)
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey ben this may sound like a stupid comment but I was looking at the manifold and I saw that it bends up. What about if we spin it 180 degrees then it will point down and closer to the block of the motor eg making it more compact and closer togther man. Does this make any sense to you guys?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

jonowong wrote:How much is the manifold and dump pipe going to cost?

Dunno yet, but if you're serious I'll get the boys to blueprint it & make jigs. Gotta be serious thou...
nvr2low wrote:hey ben this may sound like a stupid comment but I was looking at the manifold and I saw that it bends up. What about if we spin it 180 degrees then it will point down and closer to the block of the motor eg making it more compact and closer togther man. Does this make any sense to you guys?
You cant spin the turbo 180 degrees, we are however moving it in closer, but dropping it down. There is a space for it just next to the steering rack (away from where it couples to the steering column obviously)
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

Bennoz wrote:
jonowong wrote:How much is the manifold and dump pipe going to cost?

Dunno yet, but if you're serious I'll get the boys to blueprint it & make jigs. Gotta be serious thou...
hahaha price me up please :)
if its cheaper to do it now while your doing ill pay now! depending on price that is
or if its the same price after the jig is made then get the jig ready! :)
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey ben i am defently in for the new manifold i have saved the money for it as i defently need it after my mechanic told me it wont fit with out one.

Hey then wont you have to run new oil lines to the turbo man as the old ones wont be the same length or in the same area. Were would yo normally get this done
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Ok, price on new rear manifolds is $500. If you want one, gimmie the cash & I'll pick them up next week.

Yes, the oil & water lines will no longer fit. Easy solution, cut the solid pipes, leaving an inch on either end of the pipe, then cut fuel grade piping to suit & use hose clamps.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey man with this manifold the motor will fit in with out moving all them pipes is this correct or do you still have to do some work bud.ok pm your bank details can u find out how much postage is 2 darwin man I kinda need it asap buddy I can put the money in your bank today
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Ok, you've got 2 choices so far as piping goes. Yes it will change the lot. I can either get them to duplicate my piping & you can buy a set thats the same, or I can get them to give me the dimensions & you can have your guy make them up.
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

which piping are u talking about man the dump pipes.
i was talking about all the aircon pipes and the brake lines and stuff. i will buy you manifold of u as i dont trust people up here to make 1 up and urs works
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Im talking about the piping from the turbos to the intercooler. Dump pipes will be different because I more than likely have a different exhaust to you..
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

ok I get you mate how much for the piping to the intercooler man. My intercooler has a inlet on 1 side and the outlet on the other side man, is this the same as the way you are going buddy.
First off though I will take the manifold first man what is the final price with postage buddy
FTEvolution
Oldtimer

Post by FTEvolution »

How is the conversion going mate?

I will soon be transferring all of my gear into another shell as I have let my current one get a little... tired :oops:

Rear manifold of mine had to be planed slightly to get the turbo sitting closer to the block, other than that, no more mods to make it fit (standard dump pipes to Y pipe too).

Battery to boot of course...

Mounts modified of course (the drivers side mount only it seems) to drop the engine about an inch and move it slightly.

Used the standard FTO radiator, but the fans are mounted on the other side (not in engine bay) to allow more space for the front turbo.

If you need any pictures, let me know.

When I start pulling it all out I will take pictures and make almost a reverse installation guide.

May also help more people who want to get all over doing their conversion.
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

Ah, 6A13 and a tip box, how is it handling the power?
I see youve stayed twin turbo rather than single...you will want more power and go single next (trust me I didi!)
The World's fastest FTO - sub 9's checkout www.mitsubishi-fto.net to see the latest time.

Sponsored by : NR Autosport, RB Performance, PPG Gearboxes, IPG Parts, S1 Chiropractic
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Update!

We're on the move again, now that we've finished the new rear manifold - see pic below. Interestingly, they decided to raise the turbo up at the back as opposed to tucking it down & under. The pic is from up under the car!

Wiring is still yet to be finished, a few other bits & peices around the engine I going to do this week, swap the thermostat assembly onto the motor, run a few oil & water lines.

The stonking great intercooler is now mounted in behind the front bar, the dump pipes & exhaust are being finished today too.

hey ben when ya send the manifold is it possible to gt the actuator blue print sent 2 man
I'll try. You want me to ship to the same address as last time?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

RichardB wrote:Ah, 6A13 and a tip box, how is it handling the power?
I see youve stayed twin turbo rather than single...you will want more power and go single next (trust me I didi!)
Tip? Nah, its a manual.

Yes... my mechanic has warned me about this, Im hoping the nitrous will tide me over for the time being :lol: