sub/amp and battery problem

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

J
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

sub/amp and battery problem

Post by J »

PROBLEM 1: After running my subs for about two months now, one of my subs is making a sort of "tick" sound when the thump of a bass note hits in. It didnt do it before and i've only noticed it now more so when the volume is turned up considerably. ive checked the gain on my amp, matched it to Pioneers recomendations and put it lower just to be sure but still "tick tick tick". sugestions?

PROBLEM 2: My battery keeps dying, in the last few weeks its died 3 times. ive checked the wiring for all my interior and ext. mods and grounding is fine and the wires are looking sweet. But ive still had to push it out of the garage and jump start it with my moms camry. :cry: anyone know what it could be?
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

For problem 2 i think you should get a new battery. This was happening to me a lot lately as well. I got stuck in a shopping centre car park and when i called nrma to charge it, the guy said it was the same battery in the car that was put in when the car was made.

For problem 1, you say you only hear the ticking when the volume is considerable higher....could it be that the ticking is not from the sub, and something is rattling making the noise. I tightened my license plates and some rattling has gone for me.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

as for battery its either stuffed or alternator is on its way (not charging it back up)

as for sub its either rattle by the sounds its box splitting or very likely to be rca cables running to close to power cable so you are getting engine noise interferance does it get worse the more you rev car?

if not rattle or cables then sorry to say you prob blown sub :cry:
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

geez you guys are quick :D
For problem 1, you say you only hear the ticking when the volume is considerable higher....could it be that the ticking is not from the sub, and something is rattling making the noise. I tightened my license plates and some rattling has gone for me.
naa its the actual sub... if i softly press on the speaker a tad it goes away but when i take it off i hear it again.
For problem 2 i think you should get a new battery
yep getting it replaced, though its already been replaced by the previous owner. dont ask me how long ago that is but its worth a shot
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

a lot o fmodern batteries don't seem to be designed to last long. When buying a knew one try and get a decent brand with a long warranty (I think 2 years or more is good for a normal battery - please correct me someone if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I bought one) Sometimes you can just get a crap battery that fails quickly, I've had one of those before replaced under warranty.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

RallyMad wrote:a lot o fmodern batteries don't seem to be designed to last long. When buying a knew one try and get a decent brand with a long warranty (I think 2 years or more is good for a normal battery - please correct me someone if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I bought one) Sometimes you can just get a crap battery that fails quickly, I've had one of those before replaced under warranty.
Agreed 2 yrs minimum. The battery i got with car would die if i left the car for more than a day. I brought a exide deep cycle one (Rec. retail $160) and i just went away for 5 days and it started instantly, i was very happy. I did drop a cell when i first brought (after 2months) but i took it back and they replaced it no questions asked/
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

I brought a exide deep cycle one
where can you pick up one of those... im guessing not any old autobarn :?
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

jay6 wrote:
I brought a exide deep cycle one
where can you pick up one of those... im guessing not any old autobarn :?
any battery stockists should stock deep cycle ones and yeah should come with 2yr warrenty its the norm these days if your lucky you might find a 3yr
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
craigt
Apprentice

Post by craigt »

sounds like the voice coil in the woofer has sh8t its self, check the resistance with a multi meter to see if this has changed. should be around 4ohms. also when music not playing push down on woofer cone, if it feels gritty you'll know its stuffed.
check battery with multi meter set to 12v and start car check the charge voltage on idle, should be around12-13v if under 12v you may have a faulty voltage reg.
switch your multi meter setting to amps, switch your leads on multi meter to the appropriate holes and pull the negative lead to the battry off. with the ignition off and key out of the ignition and all doors closed conect red lead from multimeter to batt and black lead to the cable and read the amount of current draw if this is exsessive start pulling fuses until the current draw stops. this should hopefully isolate any problems. talk to an auto elec about any current draw problems.
craig.
if all else fails read the instructions....
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

I got mine from a mate i know. But you should just look in the yellow pages and find a supplier
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
J
Oldtimer

Post by J »

since the first post ive gone back to my supplier and arranged a swap for a new sub. its under warranty, and having blown up at them they are sending me a new one in the mail :lol: