Possibly Starting to Turbo, few Questions.

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Possibly Starting to Turbo, few Questions.

Post by AMACHA »

Well, what an eventfull week, got canaried defected and picked upa few parts dirt cheap.

I got an evo 8 turbo from my cousin for free(his upgrading his),

A friend of mine has an fto gpVr and is changing her clutch so i offered her 150bux for her LSD she said take it no worries.

Another friend of mine took out his emanage ultimate and is getting a Apexi Power Fc, so i bought that off him for $220.

So i thought i have an LSD, a turbo, and a emanage ulti what should i do yes im thinking of turboing.

Now iv read up on all the posts (FTOSAMS in paticular) and all the problems associated with turboing a gpx. So i went and saw a place that does conversions upgrades etc close ot my house and they said they had turboed a gpVr and lots of integras before(they have photos).

And i said i havea budget of maximum 8k with forged internals with decompression head gasket and tuning and 3-4k without forged internalls but sitll with a decompression head gasket.

Now some quick questions:

1: what's the max boost stock gpx internals can handle (how much psi did FTOSAM blow his at)?

2:with the gpx engine cant you just tune it so mivec never kicks in (ie tune it in to kick in at 9000rpm) will this eliminate the mivec problem?

Or should i just forget about turboing it and sell all my parts off?

Oh and i already havea Exedy SPORTS TUFF heavy Duty Clutch.
KJ_bob
Mechanic

Post by KJ_bob »

sorry for being no help, but if u dont want the ultimate i can take it off your hands :D
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Okay...

First things first

1. Max boost is only part of the problem.. My rings went on my other engine. at only 5 psi... they did have around 110,000kms on them though, so its no wonder.. Each engine is different... And a tuner cannot tell if this might happen... they can see detonation, but detonation doesnt blow your rings...

2. The problems have nothing to do with MIVEC... I have answered this question a million times. The MIVEC engine has oil feeders up in the heads, plus totally wrong Cam profiles.. Thus Starving the bottom end (most important part in a turbo engine) and not being as efficient as a non-Mivec. Plus the alternator, wiring, MIVEC gets tricky with tuning, but not impossible...

Dont forget the usuals mate...

Definately
-Brake upgrade (Even a small one will do)
- Intercooler
- New wastegate spring (Evo's run at like 16psi)
- Piping (All Custom)
- Braided oil lines
- Braided Fuel Lines
- Relocate Fuel Filter
- Boost Controller
- Boost Guage
- Turbo Timer
- Trial and error

Possibly (Some people needed to replace these, some dont)
- Fuel Pump
- Injectors
- Rising Rate FPR
- Decomp Gasket
- Full Exhaust system
- Custom clutch (Exceedy WILL wear out fairly fast)
- Regular Tyre changes
- Fking good oil and 5,000km servicing

I'd suggest selling all your gear mate...

Put the $$$ towards handling...

If not, i will be selling a lot of my gear (Injectors, All piping, turbo, intercooler, etc etc) in the next few months... Bigger turbo and piping, etc..

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Agree with Sam, its do-able, but i wouldnt recommend it.

Suggestion 1: Install th emanage and the LSD, Sell the turbo

Suggestion 2: Get yourself a GR engine then turbo it.

But if you do decide to go ahead with it then i will give you some advice then.

And your question about the adjusting the mivec to a higher rpm is defintily possible but you will need a V-manage as i dont think you can do it with the ultimate. But im not 100% on that.
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

FtoSam wrote:Okay...

First things first

1. Max boost is only part of the problem.. My rings went on my other engine. at only 5 psi... they did have around 110,000kms on them though, so its no wonder.. Each engine is different... And a tuner cannot tell if this might happen... they can see detonation, but detonation doesnt blow your rings...

2. The problems have nothing to do with MIVEC... I have answered this question a million times. The MIVEC engine has oil feeders up in the heads, plus totally wrong Cam profiles.. Thus Starving the bottom end (most important part in a turbo engine) and not being as efficient as a non-Mivec. Plus the alternator, wiring, MIVEC gets tricky with tuning, but not impossible...

Dont forget the usuals mate...

Definately
-Brake upgrade (Even a small one will do)
- Intercooler
- New wastegate spring (Evo's run at like 16psi)
- Piping (All Custom)
- Braided oil lines
- Braided Fuel Lines
- Relocate Fuel Filter
- Boost Controller
- Boost Guage
- Turbo Timer
- Trial and error

Possibly (Some people needed to replace these, some dont)
- Fuel Pump
- Injectors
- Rising Rate FPR
- Decomp Gasket
- Full Exhaust system
- Custom clutch (Exceedy WILL wear out fairly fast)
- Regular Tyre changes
- Fking good oil and 5,000km servicing

I'd suggest selling all your gear mate...

Put the $$$ towards handling...

If not, i will be selling a lot of my gear (Injectors, All piping, turbo, intercooler, etc etc) in the next few months... Bigger turbo and piping, etc..
Well my engine has done 145,000km---Now is it possible to have an oil feed to the bottom half? to lubricate the lower end?With the came profiles though cant you just have one profile engaged all the time and eliminate the mivec crossover all together so you just have one set of lobes engaged?

The guy that mite be doing this is pretty good with wiring and tuning he comes highly reccomend and knows what his doing when it comes to wiring so that isnt a problem.

Oh and sam will your piping fit my mivec engine?since yous is a non mivec engine?

My car already has a CAI, Full exhaust system, lightened flywheel and an aftermarket fuel pump.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

do a 6a13 conversion... a lot easier and more powerful than than turboing a 6a12
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Piping would fit... same piping i used on my old mivec turbo engine...

And as i said, the main problem is not really the cams... its the oil feeders... (No you cannot put some in as they are part of the block..)

Plus the high compression puts a lot of strain on the rings..

Agree with simon... Whack the emanage in, and the LSD... get some good power...

By the way, i only made 140kw with my old MIVEC turbo... its possible to get 125 with an N/A for half the price...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

or 160-190kW easy on a 6a13
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

jonowong wrote:or 160-190kW easy on a 6a13
250 with nos! :D
AMACHA
Veteran Mechanic

Post by AMACHA »

Bennoz wrote:
jonowong wrote:or 160-190kW easy on a 6a13
250 with nos! :D
hmmmmm mayby i should sell off the stuff i got exc ept the lsd and emanage ultimate. bennoz or to jonowong or whoever can asnwer, including the 6A13 motor, how much including labor would it cost to have the engine converted fitted then tuned in other words how much would the whole process cost me?
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

well man I know were u can get a half cut for 2350 if they still have it and I reckon it would cost a few grand man as their gotta be some custom parts which ben has found out that have to be made
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

There have been a few good points made here:

Go with jonowong's idea, ***6A13**** Conversion :D

Keep the Emanage and LSD and sell the turbo as previously suggested because the GPX mivec engine was never designed with turboing in mind, it doesnt have the features enabling it to be turboed as easily as a gp engine or the 6a13.

Might I also suggest that you do an evo engine swap. The 4G63t is a good engine and could be had new for around the $2500 mark.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]