Rear vents are a goer

Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

dstocks
National Vice President
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Rear vents are a goer

Post by dstocks »

Can now confirm that rear vents are a goer. There is absolutely no structure underneath the panel, which makes it a LOT easier. The design ive come up with so far is shown in the pictures below. Am also thinking of making a more rounded version to try and match the contours that the FTO has. NOTE: havent had a chance to play with mesh yet, but it would follow the wheel well around and then bend up into the vertical bit. The third picture was my initial attempt. Have drawn the red line where it is now (only side on view I had). Oh and thisyou could vent the rear brakes with air as well just by going through the wheel arch (the inside of the arch can be seen in the pictures)

Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    rock_it
    Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Mate, I have a spare bedroom up in Sydney when you need to do this to my car ... 8O :D
    alekazam
    Mechanic

Post by alekazam »

that is soooooo awesonme grate job
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

OK, bit of photochopping. This is what im aiming for....

Will see how we go
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      rock_it
      Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

You are going to have to make a line down the door, and make the vents match up though ... Otherwise, it is going to look a little odd ...

So yeah, it would have to be like a ferrari style....
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

You mean like this....

da_msta_chizz
        Grease Monkey

Post by da_msta_chizz »

Ooh, that looks hot.
        Maybe make them wider than standard?

I can see some awesome looking FTO's coming out of this..
        [img]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m389/damstachizz/sunkills.jpg[/img]
        rock_it
        Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Yeah, but there looks like there should be a line that follows from the rear vent, down the door, and connects to the front vent... Like how the ferari does....

See how the line follows the vent down the door ...

Maybe a better example of how it follows down the door is ...

aza013
        NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

looking good :D is that on the ute?
        dstocks
        National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Nah, practicing on the white GR that had copped a big hit on the rear wheel on the passengers side. Once I settle on a design, the ute will be next (and as soon as the compliance comes through on my silver one).

One thing I have thought of though, im going to have to deal with water somehow. It doesnt matter on the front guard as water will drain straight through, but the rear quarter is sealed and will hold water like a bucket. Im going to either have to reseal it or put in a drain hole of some sort.
        Yeah, but there looks like there should be a line that follows from the rear vent, down the door, and connects to the front vent
        Ahhh rockit, you are hell bent on making me deal with the door as well arent you. Havent I done enough....... :lol: Reskinning the door is probably not really hard as long as there is enough clearance on the inside when the glass comes down. Please remember though, im just a bloke with a pair of tin snips and an angle grinder. You are really laying down the challenge now.
          Benedict_XIII
          Grease Monkey

Post by Benedict_XIII »

Hey just wondering any one know what this font bar is called on the can you are playing around with on phot oshop and if you can get it i love it[/img][/quote]
          harry90
          Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

Love it and would definately pay for it.
          [url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
          rock_it
          Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

dstocks wrote:
          Yeah, but there looks like there should be a line that follows from the rear vent, down the door, and connects to the front vent
          Ahhh rockit, you are hell bent on making me deal with the door as well arent you. Havent I done enough....... :lol: Reskinning the door is probably not really hard as long as there is enough clearance on the inside when the glass comes down. Please remember though, im just a bloke with a pair of tin snips and an angle grinder. You are really laying down the challenge now.
          Hehehehe ... I like to be difficult ... But you see what I mean though ... If you have the vent at the front + rear, the door looks too plain ... It is just to flat to go with the new mods ... It may look different in person, or when done, but the pic with the front + rear vent, really does highlight that the door needs to change...

You could always try something with fibreglass ... Like the s13 widebody kits... F/G put on with rivets, then bog over the top ... You only have to worry about it cracking ... But I have not seen that happen on one of those kits ... Yet ....
          dstocks
          National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

The top of the rear vent lines up with the crease in the door, but it may not be enough (although that picture may not be a good indication - im not great at photoshop). While I can dish the complete lower door, it will be a problem on the edges where there is a natural outwards curve in the door. I can cut out the skin, but I cant cut the edges out as it will change the integrity of the door. Im thinking that maybe it would be better to either go a front vent or a rear one, but maybe not both. Anyways, the ute will cop a makeover and I can take pictures of the different combinations. Anyways, when I get it sorted, ill have templates so that anyone that is interested can follow.....
            dstocks
            National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Here is what you are looking for rockit. Not sure if its possible though....

Therapy02
              Apprentice

Post by Therapy02 »

that last one would look awesome.
              poahfto
              Grease Monkey

Post by poahfto »

great work dstocks.

if I8A4RE makes a wide body kit,

i think your work will look even better along side with that kit
              RallyMad
              Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

It may just be me but I think that last one screws up the whole front end, just doesn't look right somehow. Just IMO.
              rock_it
              Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

That is what I am talking about Dwayne ...

But maybe put it on a bit of an angle ... So the small vent would need to be smaller, but the line should run on a slight diagnal, so that it would line up with where the front bar meets the fender... (does that make sense) ... :?:
              dstocks
              National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

It may just be me but I think that last one screws up the whole front end, just doesn't look right somehow
              Actually, in a way I think you are right. It seems as though the theme needs to continue past the guard in a way. makes the front bar look out of place.

Maybe rockits idea of a slant would address that to some degree. Will have to do a little more photochopping....