Stereo problems

This forum discusses anything to do with your In Car Entertainment requirements such as. Stereo's, TV screens, Speakers, Navigation Systems, etc

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

NimZ
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Stereo problems

Post by NimZ »

I have a 2 din Ultravox stereo which has decided to stop working. I've always had problems with this stereo, especially with getting cds in and out. I don't think the previous owner of the car even installed it properly as the whole stereo swings up and down. A few days ago the lights on the stereo stopped working and then yesterday slowly the whole thing stopped working. I can't even turn it on now, and my cd is still stuck in there.

I concluded that the whole stereo was fucked and planned to buy a new one. My dad thinks maybe its a fuse or lose wire but he isn't the most technical person I know. Any ideas what's wrong, and if I should just buy a new one or fix this one?

Thanks
Hellsmurf
Apprentice

Post by Hellsmurf »

sounds like a problem with the power wires going to the stereo, or the unit itself.

of course the first thing to do is check the wires connecting it...trace one wire all the way back to the battery and the other to an earth point, if either of these are loose, resolder them. If the power wires seem fine and you're really dedicated you could try removing the entire unit and trying to disassemble it, *however* thats only if you're not afraid of ruining the damn thing permenantly - lol if its not already permenatly gone...mostly though, unless its a wiring problem, then the easiest (and cheapest) method is simply replacing it.
Hellsmurf
Apprentice

Post by Hellsmurf »

oh yeah, also, what exactly do you mean by "the stereo swings up and down"? the whole unit, or the faceplate, or what?

also, by the description you gave, i'd be pretty sure its not a fuse problem - ive heard of slow blow fuses, but 3 or 4 days is one HELL of a slow fuse :lol:
NimZ
Apprentice

Post by NimZ »

Thanks Hellsmurf

i'll try to get some one to check the wires, as I wouldn't have a clue what I'm doing. But I haven't got my hopes up and already started looking at new head units.
oh yeah, also, what exactly do you mean by "the stereo swings up and down"? the whole unit, or the faceplate, or what?
It's the whole unit that swings, I think the previous owner was just too lazy to bolt it in properly.
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

We used to sell UltraVox 2 DIN head units at Strathfield when I used to work there. 95% of the units that we sold came back to us because they were faulty or eventually broke down. If you try and repair it, it will cost you more to fix it, then buying a new one. My suggestion to you Naomi, is buy a new deck and dont even bother with the UltraVox.
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

I agree with DZYRME. Chuck up the UltraVox and get yourself a quality deck. Not only will it be more reliable, but it'd also sound much better.
NimZ
Apprentice

Post by NimZ »

I know I should.
But it looks so purdy, and the colours match my car. But yeah that stereo has always been very dodgy.
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

How is this for an idea, remove the entire head unit, and replace it with a 7" LCD screen, so it is flush mounted with the dash board, and you dont have a head unit in the dash. You would have to customise the dash a bit and use a bit of resin fibreglass to fill in the gaps. If you do it properly, that would make it look even more "Purdy"
TheSentry
Grease Monkey

Post by TheSentry »

Well when I got my car it had a cheapo deck in there, that I was actually happy with. It looked alright, sounded alright and I didn't plan to replace it but of course it ended up dying on me. Thought it wasn't worth fixing so I went out and bought a JVC unit and the difference in sound quality was amazing.
NimZ
Apprentice

Post by NimZ »

How is this for an idea, remove the entire head unit, and replace it with a 7" LCD screen, so it is flush mounted with the dash board, and you dont have a head unit in the dash. You would have to customise the dash a bit and use a bit of resin fibreglass to fill in the gaps. If you do it properly, that would make it look even more "Purdy"
Sounds good, you offering to do it for me?? :wink:
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

I havent even done it for myself. You will need patience to do it, and that is something I do not have!! However if the price is right, I would happily do it! :lol:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

DZYRME wrote:How is this for an idea, remove the entire head unit, and replace it with a 7" LCD screen, so it is flush mounted with the dash board, and you dont have a head unit in the dash. You would have to customise the dash a bit and use a bit of resin fibreglass to fill in the gaps. If you do it properly, that would make it look even more "Purdy"
I've actually seen an aftermarket full size 7" colour screen that will fit as a double din unit, like the Merc/BMW/Lexus, it plays DVD, MP3, WMA & it can hook up to any GPS system, it also feature motorize screen so its "Purdy" too ehehhehe. I'm going 2 find more info on it, & once i do, i'll will post it up
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.